• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve

Marksman
    Don't laugh but best place to get spot price for selling is fleaBay...but they have their own fees

If someone wanted to sell for spot wouldn't it be easy to find a local buyer? I really don't know much about buying or selling silver but if I could buy for spot from an individual why would I buy from a dealer that charges a premium?

Fletch

Master
    I'll just buy from the companies Glen Beck and the rest of the conservative talk show host spouting impending financial doom and collapse tell me to. After all they are about truth, freedom, and the American way right? No way they would steer me in the wrong direction or into a bad deal. I'm sure they have thoroughly researched the companies they pimp and put their integrity over making a quick buck.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    And that would be Roberts & Roberts on Airport. I still think APMEX would be cheaper. I bought around 30 graded ASEs, seems like the s&i was about $25.

Rick

EDIT: I just checked APMEX and 500 rounds (that's silver rounds, not ammo you bunch of gun nuts) are $8600 with FREE s&i.

call first to roberts is best, tim or mark, good guys...megan will answer the phone

*edit, use cash to buy...

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I have played with buying it for investment, but never panned out well for me, it was always buy high and sell low. Only good outcome would be to have bought a few years ago and have sold it when it hit 40.00 some time back. Even worse is the companies that hold it in their safe for you to redeem later, how do you plan to get it when the grid breaks down? . When SHTF you will be melting your silver to make bullets. To me it seems like false security, if the world falls apart who will be there to buy or trade it, I would rather have ammo or food. I'm not selling my twinkies for a piece of useless silver. Just me.

silver and gold are more of a store of value than an investment....

3 1964 dimes will still buy a gallon of gas, as it did then, but modern .30 is a down payment on a candy bar with base metals

rockb

Expert
    If someone wanted to sell for spot wouldn't it be easy to find a local buyer? I really don't know much about buying or selling silver but if I could buy for spot from an individual why would I buy from a dealer that charges a premium?

Do you have the equipment and or experience to tell if it is real and solid? I do not so that is why I buy from a reputable dealer.

steve

Marksman
    Very good point rockb!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Do you have the equipment and or experience to tell if it is real and solid? I do not so that is why I buy from a reputable dealer.

buy old 64 'and before dollars, halves ,quarters and dimes, all 90% silver and easily id'ed
    hard to go wrong...

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    I took ricks advice and I've bought from Tim at Roberts and Roberts 3 times now. I've been very satisfied. He has an excellent selection and very easy to deal with.

shootnstarz

Master
    Why does a 90% Morgan get more than a .999 silver eagle?

Rarity usually. There hasn't been a Morg minted since 1921. Junk Morgans are pretty cheap but any with numismatic value are more. Just like a cherry '56 Corvette is worth the same/more than a 2014.

Also, price a 1996 ASE, the key date, a hundred bucks or more because there were fewer of them minted than others. While ASEs are legal tender they are really considered bullion but do carry some numismatic value because they are a US coin.

And price a 2012S Bootlegger (Kennedy half), well over a Benji.

As for verifying silver coins, an accurate scale will tell you if it's real or fake. But anybody that's played with silver much will quickly learn the feel, size, appearance and weight of coins. If the coin is the exact size of a silver dollar then it should have the set weight of 412.5 gns or 26.75 grams. If a silver dollar, Morgan, Trade or Peace (not silver Ikes, only 40%) doesn't weigh that within a small tolerance then it's not real. And rarely does a fake have the intricate details of a coin stamped by a legit mint.

Again, experience is the best way but a scale will tell you what you need to know, or take it by Emerald Coast Coins to verify if there's any doubt.

Rick

Last edited:

pavegunner1

Expert
    90 percent silver coins will have a solid silver color on the edge of the coin where a clad coin will have two colors, brass, bronze, nickel (kinda half and half). All dimes, quarters, halves, and dollars minted 1964 and earlier are 90% silver 1965 - 1970 Kennedy halves are 40% silver but the 70's were not in regular circulation, only came in mint collector sets. Only silver the mint puts out now are silver eagles....proofs, reverse proofs, burnished, and mint state plus silver proof sets and commemeratives. Everything ordered from the mint carries a heavy premium.....gotta make up for all those cents and nickels. Example: A roll of presidential dollars has a TOTAL value of $25 but the mint charges 39 bucks plus over 5 more to ship. Well over a BILLION presidential dollars are sitting in a warehouse because no one wants to use them in day-to-day commerce but they keep minting more and more. A 2006 bill mandates every dead president be put on a dollar coin. That's over a billion of our tax dollars sitting in a warehouse!!!!

steve

Marksman
    Pavegunner, you seem pretty knowledgeable on the silver subject! What are your thoughts on investing in silver eagles? (Potential significant investment.) I like the idea of physical silver instead of paper stock or the like.

ksenter

Master
    stay away from Pace Coin. Tried charging me $5 over spot the other day. Turned around and started walking out and he asked me why and I returned the favor, "you tell me why its $5 over spot". His response was "onesies and tuesies you know". Pound sand. I'll never buy from him again, punk.

shootnstarz

Master
    I owned a 1921 Morgan silver dollar for about a week. Paid it to GySgt M.D. (Maddog) Jones.

The most common of the Morgans with about 75 million being minted from the 3 mints. However, if you find a 1921 Peace dollar (ugly coin) you have something, only a little over 1 million were minted. The Liberty head on the Peace dollar reminds me of Medusa. The walking liberty half and standing liberty quarter are my favorites, I don't like coins with people on them other than Indian heads.

The walking liberty was also minted on the Silver Eagles, I like'um.

Rick

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Hey Rick, I went to see your silver man and bought some, Thanks. I dropped your name for a referral, he said Thank you. I opted for the standard mint coin, as not being a coin collector, I do not see any benefit to paying more for other coins, am I wrong in that assumption?

shootnstarz

Master
    Nothing wrong with buying bullion over numismatic coins, plus you get more silver per dollar. That said, a 1 oz Silver Eagle will always be worth more than a 1 oz silver round or bar, to a varying extent depending on what premium the buyer is will to pay.

So either way I think it is a good idea to have something you can use should the money system go the way of Greece or Zimbabwe.

Rick

Latest posts

Top Bottom