• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjenkins

Expert
    Is there any place that's open enough to just drive up and start shooting? I train alot and have been training in bounding, combat medical, escape and evade tactics, moving and shooting, and various other drills like shooting 2 targets and sprinting about 100 yards and making a 300+ yard shot while controlling your breathing. I really don't shoot for fun anymore and a range with lanes or a bench to shoot from would feel like a waste of my time and money.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Is there any place that's open enough to just drive up and start shooting? I train alot and have been training in bounding, combat medical, escape and evade tactics, moving and shooting, and various other drills like shooting 2 targets and sprinting about 100 yards and making a 300+ yard shot while controlling your breathing. I really don't shoot for fun anymore and a range with lanes or a bench to shoot from would feel like a waste of my time and money.
    I live in panama city beach and shoot at an in door range LGS [paid membership] up to .308 and the bay county outside shooting range they both have range officers and lots of rules that get enforced for the most part . You [ and I] need to make friends with some one who owns a large piece of remote land where we can play , I know my AK's would like to be unleashed and I need to brush up quick pistol draw . IIRC there are some in the NW but they are like classes to take ,instructional and safety regulated [read no mag dumps] on full auto . The Powder Room offers classes [inside] check with them on line .

mrjenkins

Expert
    I've been looking around online a bit and I'm a little upset about that. It seems to be only laned ranges and they all seem (pay to enter). Not interested in that kind of shooting. Sadly I came from a state where you can just pull over out in the desert and start shooting however you want and it is open desert for tens or hundreds of miles. Nobody around whatsoever. The only times I have ever shot at a pay to enter range was for my DPS issued guard cards and I got to shoot in said lane, ammo provided with a 2 days worth of pay to qualify.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I've been looking around online a bit and I'm a little upset about that. It seems to be only laned ranges and they all seem (pay to enter). Not interested in that kind of shooting. Sadly I came from a state where you can just pull over out in the desert and start shooting however you want and it is open desert for tens or hundreds of miles. Nobody around whatsoever. The only times I have ever shot at a pay to enter range was for my DPS issued guard cards and I got to shoot in said lane, ammo provided with a 2 days worth of pay to qualify.
    Ya just need to friend up some one with land......but do not start any wild fires lol....

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    You're in the SE United States my man... this ain't the mid-West.

To do any kind of dynamic training or shooting drills you will either 1) have to make friends with someone who owns land; or 2) join a range that has private training bays where you can shoot and move.

With #2, you're probably not going to find any ranges with private bays beyond 25-35 yards.

mrjenkins

Expert
    You're in the SE United States my man... this ain't the mid-West.

To do any kind of dynamic training or shooting drills you will either 1) have to make friends with someone who owns land; or 2) join a range that has private training bays where you can shoot and move.

With #2, you're probably not going to find any ranges with private bays beyond 25-35 yards.
    How is one supposed to practice and hone their defensive shooting skills? That's extremely important if your gonna be carrying a weapon. Defensive shooting ALWAYS should be done moving. You never want to sit still because you are making yourself an easier target. Seems like a catch 22 with the ccw license here. You get a quick refresh every 7 years if they even require it.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    How is one supposed to practice and hone their defensive shooting skills? That's extremely important if your gonna be carrying a weapon. Defensive shooting ALWAYS should be done moving. You never want to sit still because you are making yourself an easier target. Seems like a catch 22 with the ccw license here. You get a quick refresh every 7 years if they even require it.

Buy property and don't rely on others.

I have my own range where I can do what ever I want including night shooting with NODS. I have elevated platforms for shooting out to 300 yards and I can get to just over 500 yards.

IMO a 25-35 yard private bay is plenty to keep skills current as it relates to HD.

ETA- I also encourage people to take a class or two a year, not because they "need to" or "need to learn something", rather it's a great way to keeps skills current, support local ranges and instructors, and perhaps most important, develop social contacts and make new friends who are like-minded.

Those were the main reasons I operated a training business on the side, but I recently pulled the plug on the gig and now just do my own thing.

I will however be hosing a get together later in the Fall when it gets cooler and darker earlier (better for night shooting).

Last edited:

mrjenkins

Expert
    Buy property and don't rely on others.

I have my own range where I can do what ever I want including night shooting with NODS. I have elevated platforms for shooting out to 300 yards and I can get to just over 500 yards.

IMO a 25-35 yard private bay is plenty to keep skills current as it relates to HD.
    Home defense is important, that's what rifles and shotguns are for. I dabbled in room clearing a little bit and what really helps is printing out targets and taping them to the walls and inner side of your front door and use snap caps and dry fire. If you are to carry a gun with you outside the house you really need dynamic training and learn to shoot under duress and using cover if applicable. Get your reps in. And learn as much medical as you can because the first responders take time to show up. Response time is life or death.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Home defense is important, that's what rifles and shotguns are for. I dabbled in room clearing a little bit and what really helps is printing out targets and taping them to the walls and inner side of your front door and use snap caps and dry fire. If you are to carry a gun with you outside the house you really need dynamic training and learn to shoot under duress and using cover if applicable. Get your reps in. And learn as much medical as you can because the first responders take time to show up. Response time is life or death.

My classes included about a half day of 1-man and 2-man tactics where inches and angles were discussed as it relates to proper use of cover, these concepts were demonstrated and then run live-fire. At the end of class, we would run a 2-man obstacle course where a variety of skills were merged together as well as situational awareness and effective communications with your partner.

Being a good shot is useless if you can't see and process your environment from a tactical perspective... using cover isn't just about getting behind it. Shooting and moving isn't just about "shooting" and "moving" per se.

I spent fifteen years on a twenty-plus man SWAT Team where I was an assaulter, Sniper, Sniper Team Leader, and then Team Commander. Have lots of tactical classes, training, and live ops under my belt so I'm kind of familiar with the idea.

mrjenkins

Expert
    My classes included about a half day of 1-man and 2-man tactics where inches and angles were discussed as it relates to proper use of cover, these concepts were demonstrated and then run live-fire. At the end of class, we would run a 2-man obstacle course where a variety of skills were merged together as well as situational awareness and effective communications with your partner.

Being a good shot is useless if you can't see and process your environment from a tactical perspective... using cover isn't just about getting behind it. Shooting and moving isn't just about "shooting" and "moving" per se.

I spent fifteen years on a twenty-plus man SWAT Team where I was an assaulter, Sniper, Sniper Team Leader, and then Team Commander. Have lots of tactical classes, training, and live ops under my belt so I'm kind of familiar with the idea.
    How much do you charge for class? I'm always interested in learning more.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    element out near the interstate in holt is pricey but if you get a membership offer some interesting shoots. they do some military contract training so they have some fun ranges.

mrjenkins

Expert
    element out near the interstate in holt is pricey but if you get a membership offer some interesting shoots. they do some military contract training so they have some fun ranges.
    I'll check them out. One of the things I've learned over the years is tactics are always changing. One example I can think of off the top of my head is in the late 90s and early 2000s everyone was teaching square stance. It's completely different now. More of a running stance One foot in front of the other. Makes it easier to take off running and strafing. Take everything you've ever heard from anyone training you and put it all together. Pick what works for you. Don't stick to 1 specific way of doing things. Get proficient in everything you can and do it your way. Something my previous boss always preached. He was a recon marine, worked in an alphabet agency. And was a black water sniper in the battle of najaf

mrjenkins

Expert
    ETA- I also encourage people to take a class or two a year, not because they "need to" or "need to learn something", rather it's a great way to keeps skills current
    this is exactly what I was getting at. I would even go as far to say a class or two a year isn't even close to being enough. If you carry a gun the more training and skills you have using it the better off you will be. Last winter I was out 2 or 3 times a month training. There is so much beyond just shooting I couldn't even begin to get it all typed, if I did I'd be editing it constantly. It would be smart to learn at least basic medical so God forbid you are hit you at least have an idea what to do. And carry at minimum some sort of quick clot or a bandage with some quick clot already in it.( quick clot can cause serious complications with a surgeon) some people dont carry it. And a tourniquet. And get taught how to apply it to yourself or at least have the ability to talk someone through it if possible.

Last edited:

ccc

Master
    I belong to a deer lease in Jay, we have our own gun range where I can do anything I want. Might be something for you to look into.

mrjenkins

Expert
    To be fair, I'm not from around here lol. There is no deer leasing in the south west. This is the first time I've ever heard of it. The only way your gonna hunt anything is to get drawn.

Top Bottom