• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    I know we live in an age of pinching pennies, and everyone likes to get a deal on everything. That being said some folks are just plain crazy with prices. I admit I don't always price everything correctly at times but I try to be fair considering the item and condition. I usually check Slickguns for current production price gauges and a few others for milsurp types and out of production or hard to find firearms. I admit to have overpaid for something that I really wanted and couldn't find elsewhere so I've bite it just to get a new toy.
    However sometimes it makes me laugh at folks that try to sell current production common firearms for BNIB prices. It's a used gun! If it is stock then you can't tell me it is worth as much as a brand new one I can buy online and pay a 20 buck transfer fee to have a BNIB never fired gun. It seems that we drive up inflation on ourselves at times in the firearms community.
    The way I see it is several fold. Example: If I had a used G19 good condition, stock, nothing special. Priced it at 575-600. Any regular gun guy is gonna see that it is priced too high and move on. Then I may get a hit from a guy saying sure I'll take it. What are the chances of that person not being able to own a firearm but is overpaying because he knows he can't go get one legally at a better price. That's why I require shown ID and signed bill of sale, but that's just me.
    Then there are cases where sure both parties a CCW holders and enjoy firearms, buying, trading, adding and changing their collections. And sometimes that's where you find the cheapest dudes out there. I like a good lowball laugh but sometimes it's like wow man really? You wanna even trade a hi point for a Springer 1911? Or you wanna price your used gun that is going for 275 for 500 because you added a mag? I take into account upgrades and if it's my style gen sure I'll pay extra but I see no problem offering lower and seller keep the upgrade. Overall it's the sellers choice and if he/she doesn't wanna do that, hey it's their property to do whatever they want with.
    Sorry all for the rant, just seems like we try to rip each other off in the gun community sometimes and that just keeps prices going up and up. I don't know bout you guys but I don't get enough pay raises to keep up with the prices some folks are asking for.
    Just one mans thoughts on a forum.

fv22

Master
    Agreed! But it's not just the gun community, seems to me sellers generally overprice and buyers generally lowball. I think some sellers overprice because they know the buyers will lowball. Some sellers just overprice because they hope to find a sucker. Some buyers lowball because they hope to find a desperate seller.

rockb

Expert
    It is not just firearms folks. It is everywhere. Trying to sell a pop up trailer now. Have had several people say that it it is a good price where I have it priced at but still get crazy offers.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Everywhere else I've been seems that there's always one or two that try and pull that kind of crap. Around here it seems like its only one or two that don't try that...... This area is kinda strange that way.

Red

Master
    Yeah we complain about panic gouging then gouge each other everyday lol. Like buying a set of tires, butting 10k on them and trying to sell them for what they are new lol. Maybe I'm just cheap, or not a sucker, or I know, I don't make enough money to just give it away.

Red

Master
    BTW Hugh I'm guessing you have a wiener dog based on your avatar. Me too, I love those little suckers. So much personality and brave little stalkers for being so small.

wildrider666

Master
    WTS/WTT GUN. Price $500. Trade Value $575 : WTF? If a person wants to trade the why the price difference? If seller doesn't want to trade the gun is still $500. If you talk the seller into a trade and yours is of agreed lower value its trade plus $ but the $ may be $50, $100 or whatever. I have never seen a Trade Value in any Gun Values publication. We are not doing wholesale vs retail as both guns are used (dealer exceptions).

Would someone please tell me why/how selling price and trade value can be justified with different prices. Thanks.

WTS/WTT GUN. Price $500. Trade Value $575 : WTF? If a person wants to trade the why the price difference? If seller doesn't want to trade the gun is still $500. If you talk the seller into a trade and yours is of agreed lower value its trade plus $ but the $ may be $50, $100 or whatever. I have never seen a Trade Value in any Gun Values publication. We are not doing wholesale vs retail as both guns are used (dealer exceptions).

Would someone please tell me why/how selling price and trade value can be justified with different prices. Thanks.

The only thing I can figure on this - if I have a $500 gun, and need cash, I would trade for a $575 gun I didn't really want, because I could sell the $575 gun fast for $500. Maybe?

Red

Master
    Yeah never understood that myself. I've had more than a few guys wanting to trade but would say, "but the trade has to be in my favor." So it's like ok you want to trade but you want my trade item to outvalue yours but you don't want to make up the difference. You just want me to give you money.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    BTW Hugh I'm guessing you have a wiener dog based on your avatar. Me too, I love those little suckers. So much personality and brave little stalkers for being so small.

O God not another one.

Attachments

• voltage tester.jpg
      voltage tester.jpg
      5.2 KB · Views: 331

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Yeah never understood that myself. I've had more than a few guys wanting to trade but would say, "but the trade has to be in my favor." So it's like ok you want to trade but you want my trade item to outvalue yours but you don't want to make up the difference. You just want me to give you money.

I can explain this to you but I don't have the energy currently. Maybe later

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    They really are great dogs. They always keep you laughing, until you're ready to start reaching for the gun...... I don't really pay any attention to what my wife named them anymore, I just call them Honey Badger and Cujo......

I look at it as if I paid $1K and I'm willing to take $800 I'll list it for $800. If you want to trade the trade value will be what I paid for it or say MSRP. I'll also use MSRP for what you are attempting to trade to make sure things are a level playing field. Unless there is collector value which would push the price over MSRP then we could use completed auctions, etc. to assess value. Keeps the "yeah but mine is worth X" disputes down. Just my dos pesos.

WTS/WTT GUN. Price $500. Trade Value $575 : WTF? If a person wants to trade the why the price difference?

You're surrounded Stanley! Just give in and get one!

O God not another one.

We know what you do for a living! You're no longer invited in this conversation...... :photo:

I can explain this to you but I don't have the energy currently. Maybe later

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    As an example of asshattery I'll pick on Red for a bit! :) Let's take the watch Red has for sale. He's got it listed for $800 (if I remember correctly). That's easily half of what the watch retails for. How many "I'll give you $200, a handful of cheetos and a wet fart in a ziplock bag for it" offers do you think he's received for it?

A good deal should be one where everyone walks away happy about the deal, not who screwed who the most. Maybe I'm different than most, but I'm more interested in the second or third deal than I am the first....... Make the deal, shake hands and maybe make a new friend. I know, it's a shocking concept........

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I have never gone to make a deal without being prepared to give the price asked... and I have never gone to make a deal on something that I thought was overpriced.

I may offer or ask if the person will take a lesser amount, that is part of the fun of making a deal, getting a little off the price, it works sometimes, sometimes not, but I have the full amount in case...because the reason I am there, is I am interested in the items listed...

Red

Master
    As an example of asshattery I'll pick on Red for a bit! :) Let's take the watch Red has for sale. He's got it listed for $800 (if I remember correctly). That's easily half of what the watch retails for. How many "I'll give you $200, a handful of cheetos and a wet fart in a ziplock bag for it" offers do you think he's received for it?

A good deal should be one where everyone walks away happy about the deal, not who screwed who the most. Maybe I'm different than most, but I'm more interested in the second or third deal than I am the first....... Make the deal, shake hands and maybe make a new friend. I know, it's a shocking concept........
    Yeah 800 obo. If you can find it for half, show me where so I can buy another. And like some have said, you gotta go high sometimes cause the less than half offers roll in quick. I should put it for 1600 so I could get offered even close to its actual value.

Red

Master
    Im all for making new friends but not by giving away the little bit of money the government pays me. And no I don't mean welfare lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Will you honor my EBT card for that great watch ?? --- SAWMAN

Red

Master
    Lol, they still let people buy cigarettes and beer with those things don't they? Why not some fancy jewelry? Lol. They should add lower back, tribal back wing, and barbed wire bicep tattoos too.

Top Bottom