• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccc

Master
    Ok, so they talk about the kill spot on a gator is only the size of a quarter, I find that hard to believe if you use a caliber big enough to take his head off ! Why not use a caliber, say .357 or .9mm and dispatch the beast with one shot no matter where you hit him. I am thinking it is simply a matter of cost, they use the .22 because the ammo is cheaper, but then you have to look for that "sweet spot", me I would spring for the larger caliber. Thoughts ?

johnnysstuff

Shooter
    Anybody know where i can get an alligator head reasonable ?

I not going overboard I'm I ? LOL!

Seroiusly !

Pm me ...

Thanks !
    J.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    I will add to the above mentioned that multiple people in a barely stable platform like a john boat increase the likelyhood that something other than the gator may get shot. A .22 works just fine from 2 feet away and is far less damaging to a boat or your partner if you miss/slip. Also if you can't hit that spot with a .22 you probably won't get it with a .44mag.

Now riddle me this! Ever watch Swamp Wars about the Miami/Dade animal control going around catching pythons, getting bit by 10+ foot constrictors. They always take them alive but you know they euthanize them afterward. 12gauge anyone.

Gravity3694

Expert
    From meeting the Landry family and knowing some of them, they don't want to use anything bigger than .22 mag for cost and ricochets. They initially used .22lr, but History Channel gave them .22 mags (not to mention some other nifty toys).

Patoz

Marksman
    Besides, it's a TV show. Can you imagine splattering a gator's head all over the place with a large caliber round on National TV? OMG, the horror of it all...such horrendous violence...the trauma to zoo keepers and little children everywhere...

CCHGN

Banned
    I know a guy who has a proccessing operation and personally see him routinely drop 1000 lb bulls with a single .22 to the back of the head. I drop 120-150lb goats with a single .22 to the back of the head. The .22 stuns, they bleed out to death.

Top Bottom