• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    He may have violated the National Firearms Act, but 21 months in federal prison for an otherwise law abiding citizen with no prior arrests seems a bit stiff.

Picture Mejia sitting at his kitchen table with his Scorpion in one hand and the after-market stock in the other. When they’re attached, he’s committing a felony. When he takes them apart, he’s abiding by the law. Together — felony. Apart — no crime. That is the absolute lunacy of the National Firearms Act.

Raven

Master
    I'm surprised he didn't get more time behind bars than he did

Reactions: WRM

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Wow. They used an illegal foreigner that is breaking the law by even being here to bust a what appears to be great kid on a dumb law, as the illegal broke the law. This kid had to have rubbed someone the wrong way. It's hard to believe they did all that just for this sole "crime".

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

WRM

Master
    I'm surprised he didn't get more time behind bars than he did

After reading the article, me too. It's clear he had "scienter". Pistol + stock + vertical grip (not even mentioned) + no SBR reg = time at Club Fed.

Not sure how anyone thinks they'd dodge that issue, particularly in this climate. Commit an NFA violation, particularly with knowledge/intent, and you are going to have a problem.

WRM

Master
    They used an illegal foreigner that is breaking the law by even being here

Which shows you just how far they'll go to put YOU behind bars. Those illegals gotta be good for something.

Speaking of, just saw where two of the little turds who were busted for Fentanyl trafficking last month were released, and, surprise, didn't show for court!! Probably next govt informants.

WRM

Master
    He may have violated the National Firearms Act

Nah--he did. No may to it. And he KNEW he was doing it.

I'm no fan of LEO and their tactics or even govt in general, but you gotta consider the rules of the game. Break the relatively clear ones and you know what will happen.

Viking1204

Master
    Nah--he did. No may to it. And he KNEW he was doing it.

I'm no fan of LEO and their tactics or even govt in general, but you gotta consider the rules of the game. Break the relatively clear ones and you know what will happen.
    His biggest mistake was sharing that information with someone he knew for just a few months. No doubt she was hot and used that to get close to him.

WRM

Master
    His biggest mistake was sharing that information with someone he knew for just a few months. No doubt she was hot and used that to get close to him.

That article was confusing. Agent was female, and I first thought that's who was with him at the shoot. But, I think she was just AIC and there was an illegal who did the dirty work as an informant. Maybe the informant was female too. Regardless, a colossal error in judgment on his part.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    That article was confusing. Agent was female, and I first thought that's who was with him at the shoot. But, I think she was just AIC and there was an illegal who did the dirty work as an informant. Maybe the informant was female too. Regardless, a colossal error in judgment on his part.

Even if everything is above board with the crazy rules we currently have, don't tell people more than they need to know.

Viking1204

Master
    And make sure you understand the rules. Can be very easy to do something that is not kosher.
    Shouldn't be anything that isn't not kosher according to the 2nd Amendment! I think it's funny they're trying to attack AR-15's as assault weapons again but I can buy a pistol for $400 that holds 30 rounds of .22WMR! With a couple extra clips it can be concealed much easier than an AR-15!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    was the informant a honey pot or simply an illegal alien the feds used to trap a citizen...sickening...ok he was wrong and knew it, that alone got him the time

WRM

Master
    Shouldn't be anything that isn't not kosher according to the 2nd Amendment! I think it's funny they're trying to attack AR-15's as assault weapons again but I can buy a pistol for $400 that holds 30 rounds of .22WMR! With a couple extra clips it can be concealed much easier than an AR-15!

Don't disagree, necessarily, but logic just doesn't play into it.

If you don't mind sitting in jail and the loss of rights and the fines and fees, you can make the 2A argument, at least to the intermediate appeals court (11th Circuit). You'll most likely lose there, never see SCOTUS, and be a convicted felon and all that entails. But, power to the people!

WRM

Master
    he was wrong and knew it, that alone got him the time

Exactly! He'd still likely have gotten popped (maybe less or no time) if he could somehow show he was a total babe in the woods and picked it up at somebody else's shoot.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Hasn't the controversial catch and release system with criminals always been justified by landing bigger fish? It works by catching let's say a small level dealer, and then you release them if they in turn bring you a bigger fish. Then later after a few cases you wind up with a kingpin.

So where's the kingpin?

Seems like it worked in reverse to me. Heck being an illegal foreign invader to me seems like a worse crime than what the illegal person snitched on.

Then, why wasn't this kid also allowed to go and snitch on someone? Why does the chain end here so to speak. So now instead of prosecuting two crimes, they chose to pursue just one? It don't make sense. I still think there's more to it. Seems like alot of work to setup a sting like this when they could have just busted them both. This is a sign of the times and shows what they're focused on. They're focused on the American gun owners. All else be damned.

I also wonder if the illegal shot the gun, or even held it. If so shouldn't they be charged also if they're taking this so serious? I bet that may be the real reason there's no video lol.

But snitches and gun lengths is what led to Ruby Ridge, Waco, all sorts of other debacles. So I guess just be happy he and his dog are still alive lol

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I bet there are a million ar15 pistols out of compliance

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I don't think the guy needed to go to prison. He knowingly messed with the bull and got the horn.

Whether or not the law is stupid is of no consequence as the guy was obviously making his SBR knowing the risks involved. This apparently wasn't a one time thing either.

Kind of a biased article that is side-stepping the fact the guy F'ed up and now has to suffer the consequences. What caught my eye was this statement made by the Judge which the article didn't really address...

“Mejia then offered to sell his illegally modified firearm to a confidential source working at the direction of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Mejia also provided direction and instruction to the confidential source on how the confidential source could purchase the same model of pistol and modify it himself.”

Getting charged with an illegal SBR is "ATF absurdity"... it called being held responsible for your actions. Sucks for the guy because now he is a felon and will be for the rest of his life over a stupid thing.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I bet there are a million ar15 pistols out of compliance

You would be shocked at what you see at Public gun ranges, I'm talking about the unregulated PUBLIC ACCESS non-commercial ranges.

I once saw a guy show up with a British Sten MG. He was all tatted up, long hair, kind of a loud mouth. There were about 10 other shooters present.

He yell's out to all of us something to the effect "hey, any of you mind if I shoot a machine gun? My friend gave me this to shoot and said it jams and I want to try it out to see what's wrong with it."

We all just stood there in silence... so, he turn towards the berm and starts saying out loud while ripping off full auto fire "well, if they don't care, I don't care" over and over again as he went through a few magazines of uninterrupted FA fire.

Back during the AWB I knew people who had firearms that were not IAW the law. Seen multiple illegal AWB's during that time.

Now days, with the current political climate, no way would I ever play with fire concerning NFA/weapons stuff.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Crazy part is. Neither full auto nor SBRs are even illegal. The only law he broke is that the government didn't get their cut. If you pay them the royalty fee for a stamp it all magically becomes legal. So all he's really guilty of is not paying 200$. Here soon if they get their way, everyone with a brace will be in this kids boat

Top Bottom