• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recondo 101

Expert
    After two weeks the timber cutters moved out t there next job. Interning to watch a first class crew work. Had all good and new machines. The single skidder was a beast, it could pick up1 0-12 cut trees at a time and drag them to the loader. The saw/cutter could grab 6-8 trees and hold them upright and cut te trees off held in place, then lower the trees, to lay them down, gently. The saw/cutter could cut over 200 trees a day. The loader was a crane on a long bed, with a de-limber at the other end of the bed, that could spin 3-4 logs at one time, cut the limbs off with spinning drums in a huge circular clamp, and cut the butt and tree top off square, then load the logs on a log truck. Would get to 80,000 punds very fast. They averaged 10 truck loads of logs a day.
    The loader operator was sorting logs into four stacks, saw logs, chip and saw, pulp and pole trees. All the better logs were cut at about 50 ft long, 40 ft for a trailer plus 10ft allowed over hang.
    Our trees were 26-36 years old and 100 to 150 ft tall pines. The real big trees were 3 feet in diameter and 150 ft tall. We had all the trees within 100 ft of any structure clear cut, the other trees were thinned to a 47-50% density.
    I saw over a dozen of our big pines, 150 ft tall, hit the ground during Michel, from just one gust of wind. None hit a structure due only to wind direction. I do not want to ever have that happen to any of our structures. I like trees, but not well enough to see a structure lost or family member injured.

Picture of 26x26' old barn with the saw/cutter by it cutting and holding a big tree. That saw/cutter is a big piece of equipment.
    IMG_0793.jpeg

The loader and de-limber
    IMG_0763.jpeg

Top Bottom