• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    In the nearly 10yrs I've had my CWL I haven't been pulled over. Though Florida law doesn't require you to notify the officer (unless asked) I have already decided I probably would anyway, and hand my CWL over along with my DL. I say probably because if my "gut" tells me differently at the time, I won't (again of course, unless asked). I have read both the pros and cons of voluntary notification.

As is often the case probably more to this story than presented here...

The traffic stop began routine enough. Rosenberg officer Sgt. Anthony Schnacky asked Gonzalez for his license and insurance.

“Yeah, what’s the reason you stopped me?” Gonzalez asked. “I’ll tell you in just a minute,” the officer replied.

But when Gonzalez informed Sgt. Schnacky that he was legally carrying a concealed firearm, the tone of the situation shifted dramatically.

Dash Cam Video Shows How Simple Traffic Stop Quickly Escalated When Driver Informed Officer of Concealed Carry Permit

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    never volunteer info, wait until asked...talk little, listen much

Mozella

Expert
    I've never been stopped but I asked the question of an Alabama LEO. He advised me not to say anything but to simply hand over the carry permit along with my DL and wait for the officer to make the next move.

flyandscuba

Master
    I'll not volunteer in no disclosure required state like Florida. In Alaska, I'm required by law to disclose.

Being treated like a criminal in the Keys by an FHP trooper when I did voluntarily disclose - cured me of ever doing it again. The was treated better by PPD the night of my self defense shooting than I was by the Hispanic Trooper during a simple stop for speeding....

oneshot

Master
    Remember the lady that had a Cwc from her state, across the state in to a state that didn't recognized her CWC, and was stopped for a miner driving infraction, and told the officer that she had a firearm in her car. If I remember, she had to pardon from Grov. Christy. Just my 5 cents jj

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Remember the lady that had a Cwc from her state, across the state in to a state that didn't recognized her CWC, and was stopped for a miner driving infraction, and told the officer that she had a firearm in her car. If I remember, she had to pardon from Grov. Christy. Just my 5 cents jj

Oh yeah I remember that story, she was being penalized for each one of those "evil" hollowpoints.

Fletch

Master
    I've been stopped 3 times since I've had my permit. Alabama State Trooper, Georgia Po-Dunk Town Cop, Arkansas State Trooper. None asked and I didn't volunteer. Sometimes best not to be a Chatty Cathy.

Here's a link with all 50 states requirements. It appears I should have informed the Arkansas Trooper but like they say concealed means concealed. How bout Georgia. Under their law there is no right to inform even if asked. Plus they can't ask for a license solely because one is open carrying.

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

fishingjean

Master
    Was headed south on bell lane few months ago an my mind was somewhere else, doing bout 60, an ran had a FHP blue light me going north, I pulled over as he turned around. He walked up to trk an said where you going in such a hurry? I admitted I was speeding an was going to buy some ammo, he asked for drivers license an asked if any weapons in trk,I said yes I had a pistol in glove box, showed him my license an he said could he see my pistol, I asked him did he want me to get it for him or did he want to get it himself, told him there was no bullet in chamber, he said to get it myself, he walked back to his car an in a few minutes he returned my licenses an my pistol, we talked a few minutes an I almost sold him a ar, he was a nice young man but, am sure not all are this way, no ticket he said to just slow it down an good luck, not a bad experience at all. Denny in pace

Last edited:

rockb

Expert
    I've been pulled over a couple times. I always have the window rolled down when they get there and have both hands on the wheel. I usually start off with a respectful "Officer I want you to know I have a pistol in the vehicle." From there I let the officer lead and then comply with what they want. It has always gone well for me. They usually thank me for letting them know.

The last time the State trooper asked if I would mind getting out so that he could secure the firearm. I got out and let him do what he needed to do to feel safe. When our business was concluded he advised me that I did have every right to refuse to allow him to take possession of the firearm but had I exercised that right he would have requested that I exit the vehicle and come to his vehicle and we would have completed everything there. Very friendly and professional trooper.

I carry because they can't be everywhere to protect everyone. If he is there and is armed I figure he has got things covered. If it makes him feel more comfortable to be in possession of the firearms in the immediate vicinity then I figure it just makes me safer. You guys may disagree but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

They have a tough job. If I can do anything to help our interaction go more smoothly it will go more quickly.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    I've been stopped 3 times since I've had my permit. Alabama State Trooper, Georgia Po-Dunk Town Cop, Arkansas State Trooper. None asked and I didn't volunteer. Sometimes best not to be a Chatty Cathy.

Here's a link with all 50 states requirements. It appears I should have informed the Arkansas Trooper but like they say concealed means concealed. How bout Georgia. Under their law there is no right to inform even if asked. Plus they can't ask for a license solely because one is open carrying.

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

be polite, keep hands in view,answer only what they ask, yes sir,no sir, thank you, etc, have nice day ,be safe. we appreciate you

Last edited:
    Top Bottom