• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steponapoptop

Expert
    The sticky hasn't made its way up yet so I was hoping for a recommendation of someone in the Pensacola area to do a trigger job and maybe an internal lock removal on my new SW 642.

SAWMAN

Master
    Can certinly be done at Pensacola Lock & Gun(Rick Rankin). HOWEVER.....he might not want to purposely defeat a weapons safety feature. Libility and all that. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Just thinkin' on it......... remember that a couple other safety "features" of a DAO revo is the long trigger pull through, and the somewhat heavy pull weight. I have measured some at 12lbs+. (They bottom out my Lyman digital pull weight gauge.) However most are 8lbs or so. I have also seen some DAO guns slicked up greatly that fire with about 4-5lb pull,and more importantly,a super smooth,non gritty,pull through.

Also,don't be shocked at the price that you will be charged. Some of these fixes take the "smith" a couple hours to accomplish and may involve several extra/different parts.

Let us know how it goes. --- SAWMAN

mastablasta

Expert
    Looking to do a trigger job on a 642 myself. Mine as got to be atleast a 15lb pull. I've ordered some new trigger return springs from Wolff, I'll advice how much a difference they make once I install them.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Masta,

Have you replaced those springs on that 642 yet? If so, what was the result?

My wife has a 642 and she complains about the excessive trigger pull. If I can lighten it up somewhat for her I would really like to do it.

Thanks

CCHGN

Banned
    Looking to do a trigger job on a 642 myself. Mine as got to be atleast a 15lb pull. I've ordered some new trigger return springs from Wolff, I'll advice how much a difference they make once I install them.

Did you mean trigger RETURN spring? You know that has nothing to do with trigger pull, right? That's the trigger return.

Last edited:

collectorden

Expert
    There's lots of discussions on the Smith and Wesson forums about improving trigger pulls.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/
    Basically most smith's triggers will improve with a lighter rebound spring (trigger return),
    but replacing the hammer spring can make the gun unreliable due to light strikes.
    I recently bought a model 34 with a sweet trigger, but it would only fire 4 out of 6 cylinders.
    I replaced the hammer spring with a stock one and the trigger is just as nice and it fires every pull.

CCHGN

Banned
    There's 3 parts to a DAO trigger pull: the take up, the break and the reset. The take up is the part that 'cocks' the hammer and only a lighter main spring will help that. The break is where the sear releases the hammer so that it falls to strike the firing pin, it can be made better by polishing up the points where the sear contacts the hammer. The reset is where the trigger goes forward and the sear resets on the hammer. That can be made easier by polishing up the reset block and a lighter spring.

Top Bottom