• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    100% the best money I ever spent got to 70 on my own needed Lawyers for the last 30% because the VA sucks. I will pm you the Lawyers I used
    I guess mileage varies. I have had no problems with the V.A. whatsoever.

They are however overwhelmed with frivolous claims. If a case is solid and has good documentation the only issue will most likely be the wait.

SqdnGunny

Shooter
    Been 24 years for me, been tempted to get re-evaluated for other conditions but fear doing so, not wanting to take a chance to be denied and my prior downgraded. I was at Camp LeJeune during the time frame for the settlement and my condition I was medically retired for, there's a good chance it could have something to do with it but it's one of the primary factors covered in the suit, just an outside chance.....................I have no faith in the system..........

My son works for the VA at Ft Meade, South Dakota, outside of Sturgis. He just got his bumped up from 50% to 70% for the crap he deals with from his time in Afghanistan. We both think it would be a coin toss.

mikenjapan

Shooter
    I'd be interested in this topic as well. I'm trying to file a lot of my VA claims on my own. I get a lot of my stuff denied or given 0% both service connected and not service connected. I'm kind of stuck and at a stand still. Not sure where to go from here.
    I had no luck until I got a service organization involved. VFW, DAV, etc have volunteers who will help for free. An attorney costs $ in the end. I fought for over a year and was about to give up. Turned it over to a service organization rep and had my approval letter within a few months. I actually got a letter from them about A month before the VA letter.

Metal Storm

Expert
    Been 24 years for me, been tempted to get re-evaluated for other conditions but fear doing so, not wanting to take a chance to be denied and my prior downgraded. I was at Camp LeJeune during the time frame for the settlement and my condition I was medically retired for, there's a good chance it could have something to do with it but it's one of the primary factors covered in the suit, just an outside chance.....................I have no faith in the system..........

My son works for the VA at Ft Meade, South Dakota, outside of Sturgis. He just got his bumped up from 50% to 70% for the crap he deals with from his time in Afghanistan. We both think it would be a coin toss.
    I think you should get the free assistance and file the paperwork

Sojurn

Shooter
    Lawyer for me. Went from low percentage to a high one with other things still on appeal. Most people struggle with pursuing their own claim or some service rep which always never seems to go well. Why not hire a pro? For those that say a law firm takes too long note: it's a slow process anyway. I did the same with Social Security and it went well (I was required to from medically retiring).

Sailing_Faith

Shooter
    I used a legal service and was upgraded. A couple things to keep in mind are the “20yr rule” and the “55yo rule”…. Basically these both help protect your rating unless there is evidence of fraud or if you request a “higher level review”. VSOs like the DAV are great, I used a service because they arranged exams through private doctors without my ever having to step foot in the VA…. This was important to me as I had a bad experience years ago and have not been willing to see a VA provider since.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

5lima30ret

Master
    I went through a county VSO and all my exams were done by outside providers and I never had to pay a dime nor sign over any of my claim to an attorney. 4 1/2 months after filing my disability claim was approved.

rossi

Master
    I used a legal service and was upgraded. A couple things to keep in mind are the “20yr rule” and the “55yo rule”…. Basically these both help protect your rating unless there is evidence of fraud or if you request a “higher level review”. VSOs like the DAV are great, I used a service because they arranged exams through private doctors without my ever having to step foot in the VA…. This was important to me as I had a bad experience years ago and have not been willing to see a VA provider since.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    Maybe you could enlighten those who are not knowledgable about those rules.

kendive

Master
    +1 avoid the lawyers they will just take your share of the $$$ and drag it out! Try your county's Veterans Service Officer they don't charge anything and are paid by your county.
    Yea I would stay away from lawyers. I did everything myself and 100% happy. I also enjoy using the Pensacola VA hosp for basic stuff. That place is great.

wecanslide

Expert
    You can pay a lawyer and get results. You can not pay a lawyer, use the free resources afforded to you and get the same results. Not all VSOs are created equally. If the first one you spoke to isn't much help, then speak to the next one.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom