• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emcm2

Master
    Ok I have the chance to score a very awesome gun but I have to approach this right I'm here because I really don't know about a winchester 1866 yellow boy in 44-40 so any help with the value will help. If I was to grade this like a ruger pistol I would say 7 out of 10 it is used the wood has minor nicks the brass is dis colored bore in very clean action is smooth they had two rounds I did not shoot it but did load and cycle both rounds any other questions that can help me place a value let me know. Thanks

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    The rules are very different for antique weapons. Pops showed me a 1870 something S&W russian that I thought looked like HELL. He told me that the appraisal
    for these 150 year old relics are much more liberal. The one he showed to me was rated VG. The pistols rated "Excellent", in that make were purported to bring $7000.00 .... He paid 1400 for the one he showed me.

I'll say this... buying these old rifles and pistols can be risky. Don't hang your ass out there without very solid and verifiyable info. Pops can afford to screw up and blow a grand or 3, I can't and won't.

Let someone who knows these rifles up and down look at it before throwing down. A refinished rifle may have a value that is reduced by 50% or more.
    Best of luck.

fireball7709

Shooter
    If this is a original Winchester, not an imported reproduction, the values depend greatly on the exact configuration. 1866 Winchester's were available in almost any barrel length and style, stock/forend configuration and a myriad of other options that influence the value. Pictures would help significantly, both of the overall gun and the markings on the barrel and tang.

Emcm2

Master
    Fireball thanks for your help but I missed out on it he got an offer he couldn't refuse and one I couldn't match. But thanks everyone for your input.

Top Bottom