• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adrenaline

Expert
    Anyone know anything about these guns? After my wifes grandfather passed I was given his collection of guns from when he was in the war. He was in the 3rd armored battalion I think, still have his uniform too!. Anyway, I was super stoked to find out he had sent back a P38 and we also found this little walther. I never thought much about this little gun till I cleaned out the safe the other day. I took it out with the intentions of researching it but I got sidetracked and it has set on the shelf since. I just did a quick google and found out when they were produced and the value I saw from two years ago was around $600!!!!! This one is chrome and the only thing I saw during my brief search were all black. Her grandmother said he had shipped both pistols back while he was still overseas. MAN if these things could talk! I really wished I could have learned more from him before he passed but he really didn't like to talk about it. I also have the coolest hand drawn poster showing where he was throughout the war with writing saying D day +3 etc at every stop. SUPER cool and framed with his company insignia painted on it. Any info you guys could dig up would be great.

adrenaline

Expert
    Pistol has "Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis(Thur)" printed on one side and "Walthers Patent Mod 9" on the other. I have the serial # under the saftey lever, just not sure if I should post it online. If the serial # helps anyone tell me more, I'll pm it to you.

adrenaline

Expert

shootnstarz

Master
    Very cool. It's great you got some of your Grandfather's war booty, especially the P-38.

Seems the more action and carnage soldiers saw the less they want to talk about it, a good benchmark of those that were in the shit compared to the pogues or REMFs.

And BTW, 3rd Armor was a division, much larger than a battalion. The 3rd was Patton's division that raced across France so fast the supply lines couldn't keep up. Hence the formation of the "Red Ball Express", a supply line that was basicly moving nonstop 24 hrs a day trying to keep the rapidly advancing tanks and mechanized infantry supplied with beans, bullets, benzene and bandaids.

Your Grandfather was one of the truly "Greatest Generation". I seriously doubt this country could ever amass such an overwhelming force again in such a politically correct world. A huge field artillery salute to him !!!

Rick

Last edited:

adrenaline

Expert
    Very cool. It's great you got some of your Grandfather's war booty, especially the P-38.

Seems the more action and carnage soldiers saw the less they want to talk about it, a good benchmark of those that were in the shit compared to the pogues or REMFs.

And BTW, 3rd Armor was a division, much larger than a battalion. The 3rd was Patton's division that raced across France so fast the supply lines couldn't keep up. Hence the formation of the "Red Ball Express", a supply line that was basicly moving nonstop 24 hrs a day trying to keep the rapidly advancing tanks and mechanized infantry supplied with beans, bullets, benzene and bandaids.

Your Grandfather was one of the truly "Greatest Generation". I seriously doubt this country could ever amass such an overwhelming force again in such a politically correct world. A huge field artillery salute to him !!!

Rick

It was my wifes grandfather and you are correct. He was in the 3rd Armored Division "Spearhead". Any other help with the Mod 9??

Emcm2

Master
    Adrenaline I found out some cool stuff when I get home tonight I will post some of them for you I saved the links on my ipad

adrenaline

Expert
    Nice! Just pulled out his uniform. He has the Good conduct badge, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign badge with FOUR service stars, WWII Victory badge, and the combat infantry badge on it! On the lower left sleeve there are three horizontal bars. His name was Charles Edwin Sittason Jr if anyone wants to try to help me find out about him. Can someone explain the four service stars?

Zeus

Banned For Life
    This link will tell you where, when, and what your wife's Grandfather did. Start at 1944 - 1945 Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. and keep reading.

My neighbor (RIP) lost an eye at The Battle of the Bulge and has a web page written up about his heroics in that battle, and from the looks of it your wife's Grandfather was probably there with him at the end.

http://www.pattonhq.com/textfiles/thirdhst.html

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    The serial number indicates that it was produced in the first series of Model 9s made, sometime before 1939 (serial numbers began at 410000 in 1921 and ended at 652000 in 1939
    search more info here:
    http://www.waltherforums.com

Emcm2

Master
    Just to let you know ours turned out to be a 1930 type II mod 9b it was etched and silver plated

Top Bottom