• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    I have been hunting Blackwater for about 8-9 years now and I have never seen a single rattle snake or water moccasin.... (knocking on wood now) Do any of y'all see many in BW?

Deersniper270

Master
    Never seen a rattler in BW but have seen and killed many moccasins in my hunting areas. I don't really like to kill snakes but I'd rather not step on one

Seanpcola

I suspect that we've all walked up on and past more snakes than we will ever know. I've had people point out snakes and I was looking right at them, just like JohnAl's post.

StorMay05

Expert
    I have been hunting Blackwater for about 8-9 years now and I have never seen a single rattle snake or water moccasin.... (knocking on wood now) Do any of y'all see many in BW?

Yea i"ve only seen one in all the years of hunting BW, and it was this time of year. I know several people who have seen at least one or several, but it is always scouting before bow season or bow season. With that being the rattlers, almost always diamondback, are usually bigger than most people want to mess with without a shotgun.
    The one I saw was stretched out sunbathing, and stretched out he looked 8ft long,as soon as i hit him with the truck though he shrank down to about 5&1/2ft.

Trust me their are plenty of them up there, they're just good at looking like a log. Also why I always wear snake boots.

Seanpcola

I've posted this picture before, but I killed this guy a couple years ago around this time of year. He was over 5ft long. That day I was carrying an LCR w/ 3 rounds of 357 in case we got into some hogs and 2 rounds of rat shot just for this purpose.

That's what I settled on with my LCR for this time of year. I've got 3 rounds of .357 HPs and 2 of JakeC's .357 snakeshot in the wheel. The snakeshot is the first two rounds except when momma and I had to go downtown this past weekend. I spun the cylinder to put the HPs first in line.

MarkS

Master
    I've seen more moccasins than rattlers in Blackwater but I spent more time at or on the river than out in the forest in my younger days. The first rattler I remember seeing on Blackwater was during my first and only trip tubing down the river. We had to float past the end of a pine that had fallen over and there was a 5 foot+ rattler sunning on the end we had to float by, that was the quietest my bunch ever got while on the river.

dirtyharry

Marksman
    This was in my back yard today. A little over 2 feet long. I searched for more but all I found was one.
    002 (1024x768).jpg008 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• 002 (1024x768).jpg
      002 (1024x768).jpg
      257.4 KB · Views: 107
    • 008 (1024x768).jpg
      008 (1024x768).jpg
      195 KB · Views: 108

Welldoya

Master
    My neighbor killed one about like that on his front porch yesterday. This is in a big neighborhood.

gendoc

Master
    looks like the shovel won again !!!! thank goodness you seen it first.......:fencing:

dirtyharry

Marksman
    looks like the shovel won again !!!! thank goodness you seen it first.......:fencing:

Actually my 13 year old son saw it first while cutting the grass. I am glad my dachshund didn't see it cause he chases anything in the yard that moves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom