What 12g shells are yall running for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckhunter

Marksman
    2and 3/4 number 2s then 00 buck for my little house gun.

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    12ga PDX defensive rounds.

flightmedic

Shooter
    I am a 00 Buck believer. However I am loading my 870 Pump with 4x6 Duplex Turkey Shot for the wife now. I don't really want to take out a neighbor with a rogue 00 Buck.

Ken232

Marksman
    2 shotguns 2 different loads

12ga 1300 6+1 2 3/4" 00 buck

410 for g/f is all Winchester PDF loads with 380 as backup

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    I load 3" magnum #6 shot for home defense. I think it makes more sense than buck shot inside the house. 300+ pellets vs around 10 for buckshot. A lot more spead and I'm not going to kill my neighbor sleeping next door. At close range inside the house, the bad guy is dead.

I have to agree, but I've got no house to the north, and the house I live in is brick, so it would have to go through a window. I'd feel comfortable with #4 at close range, but from my BR door to the kitchen is about 45'.

barebones1

Marksman
    i`m with you dabreeze, #6 game load X2 and 6 00 buck follow up. #6 at 15 ft blows a nasty hole in 3/4 plywood

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I run #4 Buck

adrenaline

Expert
    I personally run 00buck, but anything coming out of a 12 inside the house will be devastating. There will be very few to none shots in my home over 20'.

adrenaline

Expert
    I was hit full on at about 35-45 yards with bb shot in a hunting accident in a cat tail swamp. Buddy winged a bird while I was looking for mine in the cat tails, his bird hit the water and started to jump again. He made the mistake of firing at the bird as he jumped and I caught what was left. I had on heavy waterfowl gear and it still penetrated all the way into my back and skull. It WAS NOT fun!! I actually tasted the powder as soon as I was hit. Thank GOD I was facing away or I would be blind in at least one eye. ANYTHING out of a 12 at semi close range will stop someone in their tacks.

shootnstarz

Master
    I was hit full on at about 35-45 yards with bb shot in a hunting accident in a cat tail swamp. Buddy winged a bird while I was looking for mine in the cat tails, his bird hit the water and started to jump again. He made the mistake of firing at the bird as he jumped and I caught what was left. I had on heavy waterfowl gear and it still penetrated all the way into my back and skull. It WAS NOT fun!! I actually tasted the powder as soon as I was hit. Thank GOD I was facing away or I would be blind in at least one eye. ANYTHING out of a 12 at semi close range will stop someone in their tacks.

Yeoowww !!!

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    I read a report on the 12 ga flechette rounds way back last century. The guy couldn't even get them to stick in plywood and one bounced back and hit him. Overall, he said they were useless.

Makes sense, the military flechette rounds were fired from a moving projectile, i.e. beehive artillery round or a 2.75" AG rocket. These delivery systems were already traveling at high velocities when they despensed the flechettes. But, since I'm tough, but not tough as plywood, I wouldn't want to shot by one.

Rick

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

Same here, I carry them around today...The guy was my attorney, I sued him and won $10,000, asshole deserved the lesson!

Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    3" Law enforcement grade 00. x7

Top Bottom