• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryan

Master
    torn between the DW Valor, DW V-BOB, TRP, and Springer Champion Lightweight Operator. Only thing really holding me back from the DWs are the warranty/slide seizing. Googling Dan Wesson Slide Frozen/Seized/Stuck/Jammed throws out a good amount of results. DW will take care of it but only after you pay to ship it which is kind of whack and they are being returned with a lo. Springfield you call them up and say hey this gun isn't shooting right and you have a label an hour later. I know people talk about how tight and everything but I'd like to keep it in my rotation and if I have trouble racking it/slide seizing doesn't really seem to viable. I really like the commander with a bob on it.

I was searching 'round butt 1911' at work...num lock was off so i searched 'round butt' mast incoming for misuse of gov. property lol.

Dan1612

Master
    Unless you're gonna carry it, a bobtail wouldn't do much for you, and you already have a 1911 for carry.
    You're a Springfield man, stick to Springfield, a TRP would serve you well.
    As far as misuse, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you do go to mast, don't sweat it, I've been there.

Ryan

Master
    lol no i'm in the Coast Guard. Mast=trouble. I was just kidding though I won't get in trouble... I skirted going to mast the week I turned 21/2 weeks before making E4...I've tried to behave since lol.

I'm looking for an all in one 1911 which I know is not a good thing to say. Looking for a good carry gun that I can also shoot IDPA or other events with it...actually practice with what I carry. I ordered a Shield for $310 and then got the apex stuff with it. I don't carry well(have over cautious half I just don't carry well), but being a couple weeks out of the gate from physical therapy and back to the gym I should be slimming back down.

Springfield doesn't have any bobbed 1911s, so If I got the lightweight champion operator I'd have to spend the cash to get it bobbed. The DWs for some reason as appealing as they are now that I've slowed down on the fact the whole slide thing just kills it for me. The S&W Performance Center bobtail is on my radar. I watched a video where they went through the whole hand fitting process but I wonder if they actually spend that much time on each 1911 or if it was just for the cameras. That model comes in around $1300. I keep searching 1911 addicts but after dude buddy standing me up I'm just looking at new for the most part.

Dan1612

Master
    Ryan, my boy, you are lost. I'll help you find your way. Lol.

Kanaloa

Master
    Or a Sig. They have excellent 1911s for the price and have models with the rounded grip. If I recall, maybe just under $800 for a used one in excellent condition.

ChrisC

Master
    lol no i'm in the Coast Guard. Mast=trouble. I was just kidding though I won't get in trouble... I skirted going to mast the week I turned 21/2 weeks before making E4...I've tried to behave since lol.

I'm looking for an all in one 1911 which I know is not a good thing to say. Looking for a good carry gun that I can also shoot IDPA or other events with it...actually practice with what I carry. I ordered a Shield for $310 and then got the apex stuff with it. I don't carry well(have over cautious half I just don't carry well), but being a couple weeks out of the gate from physical therapy and back to the gym I should be slimming back down.

Springfield doesn't have any bobbed 1911s, so If I got the lightweight champion operator I'd have to spend the cash to get it bobbed. The DWs for some reason as appealing as they are now that I've slowed down on the fact the whole slide thing just kills it for me. The S&W Performance Center bobtail is on my radar. I watched a video where they went through the whole hand fitting process but I wonder if they actually spend that much time on each 1911 or if it was just for the cameras. That model comes in around $1300. I keep searching 1911 addicts but after dude buddy standing me up I'm just looking at new for the most part.

sounds like you are in a quest for a bob tailed commander 1911. get what your heart desire. I will rate Dan Wesson 1911s higher than Springfield Armory. both TRP and Valor are great 1911s but the DW is more refined and has better quality parts IMO. for the money, you can't beat the VBOB. its the only worthy bobbed in its price range. my pick for bobbed 1911s are VBOB, Kimber Classic Carry (not a super carry), and Ed Brown Kobra Carry depending on your budget. current market price is about $1500, $1800 and $2800 for the Kobra. the only downside of a bobbed 1911 is you wont be able to install a magwell. but it excels in concealed carry. good luck to your quest and thank you for your service to our country.

Ryan

Master
    okay well it's happening. I have someone coming over to check out my ROC tomorrow. I know I originally said 1800 but I'd like to stay in the 1600 range. Regearing my Jeep with lockers has turned from expensive to expensive expensive.
    Here is the list!
    Condition:New or used
    Frame:Officer frame or Bobtailed
    Slide:4-4.5
    no adjustable sights(has to have dot sights just no black sights (don't know the proper terms) night sights a plus
    rail is optional, not required but not against (lightweight champion operator is the only one I've looked at that has one)
    This will be my CCW for Sept-Feb I'll be carrying my new sweet shield with apex junk when it comes in and selling my XDS.
    open to every brand.

So far:
    Dan Wesson V-Bob= $1483 (warranty scares me-so many stories of seized slides and you have to pay to ship it to fix it to come back with tooling marks on it)
    S&W Performance Center Bobbed 170344=$1400 (not as known, external extractor)
    Kimber Super Carry Pro=$1300 (I don't know much about kimbers)

I have a Sig Tac Pac and Tac Ops and Springfield Range Officer Compact right now.

Dan1612

Master
    Ryan, I was expecting to sort this out with you at the match. Call me tomorrow. Ill PM my number.

Stagman

Master
    Kimbers require a 500 round break in due to tight tolerances, you might have some hiccups in the first 500 but you should be good to go after that.

Dan1612

Master
    Kimbers require a 500 round break in due to tight tolerances, you might have some hiccups in the first 500 but you should be good to go after that.
    I've had 4, all ran great right out of the box. My biggest problem is all the MIM and plastic parts, as well as the firing pin safety in most models, and to a lesser degree, the rather wear prone finish on most models. Decent guns for the price, but there are better options for just a few more pesos IMO.

Stagman

Master
    I've had 4, all ran great right out of the box. My biggest problem is all the MIM and plastic parts, as well as the firing pin safety in most models, and to a lesser degree, the rather wear prone finish on most models. Decent guns for the price, but there are better options for just a few more pesos IMO.

The finish is wear prone, I plan on getting mine cerakoted one day.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    My Kimber is the Eclipse Target II. Out of the box the finish was very attractive. Then it was introduced to my clumsiness. I elected to have it Cerakoted in a Distressed style finish. I even considered the ABU camo pattern as a sort of retirement thing but I'll do that to something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ryan

Master
    Went to the range this morning and decided to keep my range officer compact. going to get a trigger job on it and look into the cost of doing a round butt. Still looking hard at a bobtailed 1911 and it really does look like i'll get a v-bob..seems like they are head of the class for the under $1800 market.

Dan1612

Master
    A suppressor ready 1911 with a light rail, an integral Trijicon RMR and co-witnessing night sights.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom