• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Schavey, I've got a friend that plays jazz banjo locally. They just play at each others house and sometimes small get togethers. If you're interested in hooking up with him I can get you his email address.

schavey

Expert
    Schavey, I've got a friend that plays jazz banjo locally. They just play at each others house and sometimes small get togethers. If you're interested in hooking up with him I can get you his email address.

My sincere thanks, Sean. Jazz Banjo usually goes with Ragtime and/or Dixieland jazz--fun to play, but not my preferred and developed modern jazz, style. My dream would be to find a talented modern jazz pianist, and bass player; I am certain we could develop a sophisticated [and commercially viable] trio that would capture the imagination of small, intimate, pub/lounge/restaurant owners, and as an added feature offer really fine guest artist instrumentalists. I did that successfully during college, and it might work in the Pensacola to Mobile area.

Django

Master
    I envy you and your friends, but I suspect your music is R&R, C&W, and the like. But if it were Jazz and Big Band style., I'd ask to join you. Playing that kind of music, got me through college, and provided good extra income for a long time, and I still love it.

We play a little of everything except C&W. Note my screen name. A tip of the hat to Django Reinhardt. I wish I had an ounce of his talent. I like to play RHCP as much as the next bass man but I love playing walking bass lines like Stevie Wonders, "I wish".

Ranger19

Expert
    I like to meet the Kids at different NASCAR Race tracks. Each year we pick a different track and all meet there. Over the years we have met so many different
    people that at some tracks there may be as many as 50people around our camp site. I have met what has turned into several very good friends.

RackinRay

Master
    Sharp things, like this one that i just finished staining the handle on.
    Cold Steel Trail Hawk.jpg

Attachments

• Cold Steel Trail Hawk.jpg
      Cold Steel Trail Hawk.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 144

schavey

Expert
    Best answer yet. "Whatever makes me happy at the time".:smokin:

That is a great philosophy, Sean, except for "smoking". I have friends all over the USA and the world, as a result of having been an FCC licensed Amateur Radio Operator [ sometimes called "HAM RADIO"], since 1956. I get to talk with those friends regularly, and when I travelled on business, I even got to meet them and their families. PLEASE NOTE:This is NOT Citizen's Band. Hams build their own equipment and antennas and usually have good technical background in electronics. I got mine in the military, working on RADAR. I and my neighbors are comforted that when the cel phone towers go down during an emergency, we can still communicate with worried relatives and friends, and help people to talk with one another, via radio phone-patches--legally. THAT became a hobby, within a hobby, helping military youngsters nearby, to talk with their families during invites for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, and avoiding BIG phone bills.
    HAMS are proud that when all other communication services go down, we can always get through.

Seanpcola

I've got several friends that are Ham operators. Some still have their equipment up and running. I think it's a great idea and know that this group has helped a lot of people all over the world. If we ever suffer a natural or man made disaster of epic proportions Ham may well be the only lifeline for communications.

I started to get my license back in the early 80's but life got in the way. Once reason was that the FCC allowed us RC guys to fly on 50 MHz and 53 MHz with proper licensing. A much cleaner signal with far less potential interference. Sort of mute now with 2.4 GHz systems and frequency hopping.

Besides my guns and my MINI, I have always been into cars of all makes and models. My father got me started back in the late 1960s by showing me a car going down the road and asking me what it was. Bear in mind, we still had a lot of cars from the 1950s on the roads then. There were still a few from the 1940s too. So, when I did not know what the car was, he would tell me. I kept building my database over the years. Up until the early 1980s, I could tell most cars on the road from the front or back and some by their taillights and headlights at night. In the late 1980s into the 1990s, it became really difficult to differentiate many of the cars. My other hobby is older movies (1930s-1970s) and television shows (1950s-1970s). I watched a lot of TV as a kid and learned a lot. Back in those days, TV was more educational than it is now. I learned how to ride a horse and play golf watching TV. My wife is always astonished at how much I know about old movies and TV and the actors from back in the day. Sometimes my brain gets a little jumbled when it comes to pulling out a certain movie or actor, but I can go the internet to jog my memory. Anyhow, just thought I would share.

schavey

Expert
    I've got several friends that are Ham operators. Some still have their equipment up and running. I think it's a great idea and know that this group has helped a lot of people all over the world. If we ever suffer a natural or man made disaster of epic proportions Ham may well be the only lifeline for communications.

I started to get my license back in the early 80's but life got in the way. Once reason was that the FCC allowed us RC guys to fly on 50 MHz and 53 MHz with proper licensing. A much cleaner signal with far less potential interference. Sort of mute now with 2.4 GHz systems and frequency hopping.

Sean; The major impediment to getting a Ham license was always the Morse Code requirements. BUT THAT no longer exists. If you study the electronics and regulatory operating requirements from the license manual, and have a decent memory, you can pass the test(s) easily. The first level is the "Technician" grade, which by the way, gives privileges on the 50 MHz band. The next level is the "General" class, which gives privileges on every Ham band, and higher power outputs--meaning ability to talk internationally. The highest level license is called the "Extra" class [ my level], which grants wider frequency privileges than the General class.
    I believe the Amateur service is coveted by the feds because the dedicated frequency bands are VERY valuable especially for intermediate and long distance propagation purposes, and also as a resource that can be confiscated---that is, all HF bands transmitting and reception privately owned hardware and antenna systems.

Seanpcola

Yeah, I started learning Morse code for my general class but as I said, life (kids) got in the way. Technician was good enough for the RC stuff.

Seanpcola

Tack, I used to be able to ID virtually any car including year by tailights or even just a certain body line curve but like you that was back in the 60-80s. I was in the P&B business and had to look at dozens of cars every day. Came in handy when I was a witness to a few hit and runs through the years. I got so burned out on automotive pursuits that I don't even much pay attention anymore. Your mini is the only passenger type car I've even looked at close in two decades. Love it! Most new cars look the same to me, I can't tell a Lexus from a Hyundai.

I'm a big fan of old movies and TV. That's why I'm loving Netflix, Hulu and Youtube. I'm especially fond of 50-60s "B" Sci fi.

Famine

Master

poff09

Marksman
    Wish I had seen them...when I was in Texas last year the Starbucks down the road from my aprtmt had Cars-no-Coffee the 1st Saturday of the month...saw a lot of my dream cars

Top Bottom