• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    That is a nice looking rifle, I think that the rolling block is one of the most underappreciated single shot rifles of all time.. What caliber is that???

Thank you. The cartridge is called 11.7x51R. Think of a 45/70 case about .1" shorter in length and a bit fatter (about .02") with a mild taper going to the case mouth. The groove diameter on mine, as best I can tell with its 5 groove rifling, is .462". My cast bullets are .463", which is why I pan lube with no sizing on them.

The breech block has 2 firing pin holes. Originally it was rimfire, and the Danes converted them to centerfire starting in 1896 and re-issued them to artillery and coastal defense units while the infantry was being issued Danish Krags in 8x58RD. The firing pin could be reversed to shoot leftover rimfire ammo or set for centerfire to use the new more powerful centerfire round. The rear sights were redone for the longer range centerfire ammo. I suspect mine was not re-issued as the brass unit plate on the buttstock is not unit marked.

So far I've not found velocity info on the original 11.7x51R full metal jacket 385gr centerfire military round. Did find the earlier military rimfire round was a 385gr lead bullet at 1250fps powered by black powder. I approached the reloading by using mild smokeless reloads designed for Trapdoor pressures in interest of low pressures and milder recoil. Tried 7 different loads.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    The breech block has 2 firing pin holes..........

I suspect mine was not re-issued as the brass unit plate on the buttstock is not unit marked.

I would love to see a photo of that Breech block.. Does the rim fire firing pin still work??? I wonder if they made them both to work..

Does it look like the unit marking could have been removed, They did not leave much of a mark.

Daezee

Master
    Added a gorgeous condition 1917 vintage Swiss K11 carbine. No evidence of having been rebuilt. Looks like Ernst carried it very little and shot it very little.

Here's the troop tag: Ernst Klaiber, born 1911, Destruction Detachment 15, from Turgi, Switzerland. I now think Ländliweg is the street name in Turgi. Also, here's the uniform patch for the Destruction Corps.

B94F8256-E378-4F96-8E89-3CDF3B264132.jpeg

315E2F5E-385D-460B-ADEE-48963C7E0912.jpeg

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Added a gorgeous condition 1917 vintage Swiss K11 carbine. No evidence of having been rebuilt. Looks like Ernst carried it very little and shot it very little.

Here's the troop tag: Ernst Klaiber, born 1911, Destruction Detachment 15, from Turgi, Switzerland. I haven't figured out what Löindliweg or Löndliweg means. Also, here's the uniform patch for the Destruction Corps.

View attachment 91144
    View attachment 91145

Ländliweg would be his street in Turgi, I believe.

Daezee

Master
    That's what I am thinking, after doing more searching. I'll correct the spelling in my above post. I did find Ländliweg in Turgi. Thank you.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    That's what I am thinking, after doing more searching. I'll correct the spelling in my above post. I did find Ländliweg in Turgi. Thank you.
    Glad to help. Looking at a map, it seems I passed by within a few klicks of Turgi when driving between Zürich & Basel in 1975, on leave while stationed in Germany (US Army).

Jdcujo

Master
    Reloaded first batch of rounds for my 35 rem marlin 336. Small batch to see how they shoot and go from there.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Married this 300blk faxon piston upper to a spikes lower. She's a forward side charger! Wish I could slap it lol. Timney trigger. Magpul stock. Not sure when I'll have time to fire it but it looks like fun. Need to get an optic on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_224819270.jpg
      IMG_20200901_224819270.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 119

Raven

Master
    Married this 300blk faxon piston upper to a spikes lower. She's a forward side charger! Wish I could slap it lol. Timney trigger. Magpul stock. Not sure when I'll have time to fire it but it looks like fun. Need to get an optic on it.
    Is that a reciprocating or non reciprocating left side bolt handle?

Daezee

Master
    I would love to see a photo of that Breech block.. Does the rim fire firing pin still work??? I wonder if they made them both to work..

Does it look like the unit marking could have been removed, They did not leave much of a mark.

Breech block with dual firing pin holes. I have not taken it apart. Supposedly pull out firing pin, turn upside down, and put it back in to convert from center fire to rim fire.

Looking at the brass unit tag under strong light, I see no evidence of a unit marking, but can see fine lines mostly going in the same direction as if a fine file was used on it.

91658C59-E07A-4356-9359-73C1E272D236.jpeg

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Breech block with dual firing pin holes. I have not taken it apart. Supposedly pull out firing pin, turn upside down, and put it back in to convert from center fire to rim fire.

Looking at the brass unit tag under strong light, I see no evidence of a unit marking, but can see fine lines mostly going in the same direction as if a fine file was used on it.

View attachment 91197

Many thanks for the photo, shows the simple genius of the rolling block design. You know if the Rolling Blocks had a little more ornate crests designs on them they would be as beloved and collected as Mausers.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Load development for my RPR in 6BR. Used the following components:
    Peterson Brass
    Federal Match SRP
    Berger 105gr Hybrid bullets
    N540 powder

Great little groups. Shot it out to 475yrds with 100% hit rate. Tomorrow will be taking it out to 1k.

Doc
    20200904_094631.jpg
    20200904_125825.jpg
    20200904_114447.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Sorta gun related. Heard someone cutting with a bush hog next door. New property owner. Went over, introduced, and chatted. He's a builder. Told him where not to build due to water run off from neighboring farm field. Said I used to take my goats there for browsing and killed 2 deer for a needy family there. New neighbor friendly as can be. He shoots and hunts. Without me asking, he gave me total run of the property for hunting anything, bringing goats, walking, etc etc until his house is built. Will be a while on that. He'll be bringing a travel trailer (to live in while house is built) and parking his bulldozer by the trailer. Asked me to watch over them. Dozer is for building 2 ponds and preparing for house, 1 for fishing and 1 for swimming.

Told him we're rather laid back here, live and let live. Everyone shoots except one new property owner...don't know about him and he's made no effort to begin building after clearing trees a year ago, but he seemed taken back that anyone would kill an animal (why would anyone shoot a coyote he asked?...his mom told him in front of me, it's the country, people protect their livestock and pets and hunt, that's the way it is and nothing wrong with that, you'll need to learn that). Sounds like maybe an opportunity to teach him shooting.

Top Bottom