• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    +1 for the 357Sig. Got all three Glocks.
    About a 9mm+P+ IMO. I also feel there would be more people switching over to the 357Sig chambering if they could just get a chance to shoot one. ---SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    I believe that the 40 got a bad rep from some of the bullets it used. To me a bullet of <156grs would be a better killer than some of the bullets offered in factory ammo.
    Hopefully our military will never give this chambering the slightest glance. ---SAWMAN

ProGun

Shooter
    I like shooting 40. I like that snapiness. Interestingly, I seem to be more accurate with my Glock 27 than my 17.

Just grabbed more .40 with the sale prices out there.

Garpo

Master
    I only got out of the 40 to simplify life a bit and focus on stocking and reloading 9mm and 45acp. The "snapiness" never bothered me, most likely because I reloaded my own comfortable shooting rounds for my pistols. However, I really enjoyed shooting factory and "hot" 40s out of my pistol caliber carbines.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Personally, I like the .40 and just recently bought this one...great pistol, IMO
    (edited to add...yes, I reload for it, too)
    My first pistol "love" is the 1911 platform & love .45 acp, but it's nice to have a few extra rounds available. I also own a 9mm (Sig P938) but I don't really care for the round in a full-size pistol. Not looking to start a disagreement, it's just my preference.

HK-P30.jpg

Attachments

• HK-P30.jpg
      HK-P30.jpg
      125 KB · Views: 211
    Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Recoil is subjective based on the shooters perception. 90% of the handgun rounds I shoot are .40 but I don't recognize "snappy" in the recoil pulse. Like the differences between other cartridges (bigger and smaller) recoil varies. Is a .357 Sig snappier then a .40? Is a 9mm snappier than a .38 Spl? 9mm +P+ to a 9mm? How about the same cartridge in two very different firearms (weight/barrel length)?

I think "snappy" in and unto itself is just trying to kick sand in the chamber. Some, like the FBI say the .40 is hard on pistols, but all cartriges create wear and tear in relation to balistics performance. Many people would be suprise by MFG maintence guidlines and round counts! There is no one size fits all gun/caliber/loads. IMHO

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Recoil is subjective based on the shooters perception. 90% of the handgun rounds I shoot are .40 but I don't recognize "snappy" in the recoil pulse. Like the differences between other cartridges (bigger and smaller) recoil varies. Is a .357 Sig snappier then a .40? Is a 9mm snappier than a .38 Spl? 9mm +P+ to a 9mm? How about the same cartridge in two very different firearms (weight/barrel length)?

I think "snappy" in and unto itself is just trying to kick sand in the chamber. Some, like the FBI say the .40 is hard on pistols, but all cartriges create wear and tear in relation to balistics performance. Many people would be suprise by MFG maintence guidlines and round counts! There is no one size fits all gun/caliber/loads. IMHO

Never bought into the "snappy" argument either... I find it amusing actually. Kind of like not hearing the shot so much when hunting as you do when just plinking.

The .40S&W is a very capable PCC and will be here for a VERY long time. Now with that said, yes, 9mm has come a ways and is also a fully capable PCC. I shoot my G34 and G35 equally... I'll gladly take either. I've seen what the .40S&W will do (work related).

Mouser

Expert
    yes it recoils a little more ....but the "snappy" adjective is something that doesn't make sense to me. I find the round to be a nice in between round and very available. I like a variety of rounds to shoot so I like it. Most of the guns I shoot are 9mm and are my choice of home defense due to the higher capacity mostly.

budbreak96

Expert
    .40 Glock 27 is the first pistol I bought over 15 year's ago. I still have it and a Gen 3 27 now. I also carry a .380 and I have people tell me that wont stop someone if you were in a bad situation. It holds 8rds in a single stack mag and is lighter than my cellphone. With the ammo it has in it if someone gets hit anywhere from the neck/shoulder's to your waist-line you are going to go down. I believe I can do just as much as I need to if I ever had to with my .380 than my buddy that talks crap about saying it doesn't have enough knock down power, his 9mm will do more damage. They are pretty dang close in penetration, seeing I got tired of hearing his shit and bought a ballistic gel and we were the same distance from it both used Hornady Critical Defense JHP ammo. He bitches all the time about how big & heavy his gun is and he wants a pocket pistol. After he saw what the .380 will do he changed his attitude a little. Not only that but I can carry it anywhere I go in my (Bible bag) he calls it a Murse and 4 more 6rd mag's in my Murse. My dad was a Leo for several years then got Hired on at F.D.L.E. and was a Special Agent for 30 year's and retired. He asked me why did I need to carry a .40, So if something ever happens and I have to defend myself or my family I can. He said you can do the same thing with a .380 He said just because you have a .40 and you can shoot a target at 15-20 yards doesn't mean anything, if something ever happens and someone shoots a "perp" at that distance the Leo, prosecutor's, Judge, etc... are going to have a hard time finding you lawfully in fear of your life. If something ever does happen you better make sure you are in fear for your life and you don't need to shoot anything over 8+- yards away. He was in Law Enforcement for over 30 year's and Luckily never shot anyone and we are talking about doing raids on big time dope dealers, rapist, murders, etc... His good buddy that was the police chief in F.W.B. before Charlie Griffith has been in LEO for 30+ years and he has shoot two people and has to live with that the rest of his life, One of them my dad just dropped him off at his apartment and he was getting some stuff out of his vette and he noticed two guys breaking into cars. He snuck up on one and caught him off guard, cuffed him to the steering wheel, the other guy took off running turning around and shooting at him, he shot one time the bullet bounced off the concrete and hit the guy right in the heart, he made about two more steps and folded up bouncing off the ground for a few feet because he was in full sprint.

Anyways, I am 5'8" 150lbs and I am more accurate with my 27 .40 then a lot of the people I go shooting with or I meet at the range. I carry my .380 everywhere unless I know I am going to a bad section of town or on a trip and the Glock goes it's nice having that assurance knowing if something happened while on a trip or whatnot that I have a little bit more "Juice" with the Glock with me. Just my Long .2

Rapier

Marksman
    I do not like the idea of the 40 myself as if you are a reloader why not buy a 10 and load it anyway you want. I have bought two G-23s Gen 4 both, and sold them both without a shot fired. I do carry a Para Ord LDA 45 ACP custom gun and a KelTec 380, usually both. That 380 is a close gun, like real close, so I do not worry about it.
    Ed

Top Bottom