What is the best metering pistol powder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    It's almost time to get set up for reloading 9mm and .45acp and I want to know which powder meters the best through my powder drop. Thanks in advance!

bohica793

Master
    Any of the spherical/ball powders meter excellently (W231/HP-38, Accurate #2/#5). The flakes come in second (Bullseye, Unique) and the extruded suck. Fortunately, the extrudeds are almost exclusively rifle powders.

SAWMAN

Master
    IMO --> Doesn't really matter. First,it is a pistol load,the shots and pressures will be consistant if you throw the charge the same way every time. So you cut a flake or two,still doesn't matter.

Use the powder that is best for you ..... the metering is of no consequence,IMO. --- SAWMAN

Khaot1c

Marksman
    The only thing I would suggest would be the same as any thrower really. If you take any kind of break, as little as a minute, weight our your next few charges until you see the drops stabilize to the charge you set. I'm sure you know, but powders tend to 'settle' a bit when they sit. I have found the flake style powders (Bulleseye, Longshot) to be the worst.

I usually see it drop as little as .2 grains but sometimes as much as .4 depending on how long you let it sit. In a pistol powder .2 can be pretty significant. Pistol powders shouldn't be left to sit in the hopper long and I typically don't. But sometimes ya gotta do what cha' gotta do.....

Signal25

Master
    Who can even find pistol powder?
    :-(
    I'm down to my last 2lbs of 231.
    Going to start using up the 12-13lbs of 2230 I have just to have something to do.

joraca

Expert
    I've worked up a lot of pistol loads for .45 ACP (50 yd bench rest patterns) and I don't think small variations or increments matter much on the vertical impact point.

I also think Bullseye or Accurate #5 are great powders for .45 ACP.

Joraca

bohica793

Master
    Who can even find pistol powder?
    :-(
    QUOTE]

thats what i was thinking!!

In the last month I have found 2lbs of Bullseye and 2lbs of Red Dot at BassPro in Spanish Fort. At the time I got mine, there was more I left behind on the shelves (and posted regarding here). It is pretty much luck of the draw if you find anything these days.

rick1967

Shooter
    For me Bullseye works the best for the 45 ACP and I get as little as 6 fps standard deviation in a target load. I use the Lee Autodisk powder measure.
    For the 9mm I prefer Unique but Bullseye works well too. An inaccuracy of 0.1 or 0.2 grains does not influence velocity or accuracy at all so do not drive yourself crazy in trying to get perfect drops.
    Accurate number 5 meters very well but it tends to spill in the autodisk and a lot is needed to get decent speeds in the 9mm.

Last edited:

Khaot1c

Marksman
    There's some cool you tube videos out there that shows how to make shims out of scotch tape to prevent AA from spilling out of a Lee auto disk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Signal25

Master
    In the last month I have found 2lbs of Bullseye and 2lbs of Red Dot at BassPro in Spanish Fort. At the time I got mine, there was more I left behind on the shelves (and posted regarding here). It is pretty much luck of the draw if you find anything these days.

I was just there Sunday.
    They didn't have anything in.
    I stopped at Styx also. Nothing for pistol.
    They did have some Varget on consignment for $49.99/lb!!!!

Top Bottom