• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    I'm about to make my first AR purchase and need some help on deciding what sights to get.I'm going to be buying a complete AR and upgrade it to my needs than eventually build my own. I'm thinking a red dot would be the best way to go but need but not sure if I should go with an inexpensive sight or a better, more pricy one. I don't plan on shooting more than a couple hundred yards so I don't plan on getting a scope.

Also, what would be the best, reasonably priced trigger?

Any other upgrades that yall would suggest I do when I get it?

John B.

Master
    All depends on what your needs are... if only shooting a few hundred yards and using it for home defense/range plinking, I'd look really hard at a Vortex Strikefire and a Vortex 3x magnifier. You can get them on Amazon for about $340 for the pair... or about 20% more here in town. Great warranty, can't really be beat from what I've seen.

As far as triggers, everyone has their preference, I personally like the CMC 3.5lb flat trigger... I have it in 2 ARs. They're very nice.

bohica793

Master
    I have a Vortex Strikefire on mine I got from PSA for $99 on sale a while back. My trigger is a Rock River two stage I spent $89 on. Both are more than acceptable for my purposes as I am not a trigger snob like Jeep and Jogan.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    For iron sights either Magpul pro(steel ones) or more budget friendly their polymer sights. Scope/red dot I would stick with Vortex, for their lifetime warranty or if budget conscious go with Primary Arms.

Trigger ALG/ACT with the JP enterprises reduced power spring set(yellow one). Then do the 35.00 DIY with the set screw also to take up any slack in trigger. Works great 3.5-4.0lb trigger pull and very crisp.

Just my opinion though.

Doc

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter

1911Junky

Master
    I agree with Vortex. I have the spitfire 3X prism. I get the magnification without having to add the extra weight of the flip over magnifier and still works perfect at close range. It also has the reticle etched into the lens so if battery died still have a functioning optic with no need for back up iron sights.

CMC triggers are great for the price.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    The little sparq is tough to beat for a budget red dot. And for the record, I have the $35 trigger job in my competition AR and I'll put it up against anyone in a mag-dumping shoot off! Anyone who's shot it thinks it's a pricey trigger. I also have a few CMC flat triggers and like them as well. To the OP, I understand you wanting to buy a complete gun and convert it over to what you like, but don't shy away from building your "custom" AR exactly the way you want it. Might even save you some money and you won't be stuck with a box of unused parts you've pulled off the rifle when you start replacing them with your new parts.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    In addition to everyone else...Vortex red dots, unless you can get a eotech 512 on the cheap. Triggers- I run CMC and the $65 ALG, honestly the $35 trigger job is an excellent route.
    I absolutely recommend building your own versus buying a complete. Plenty of willing experts on here to lend advice. ;)

All good suggestions. I have a question for young gun, what is the set up on the AR you are going to buy? Flat-top upper, 16" barrel with FSB? Flat-top upper, 16" barrel, low profile gas block, and free-float handguard? Carbine or rifle stock? Also, what is your experience with the AR platform and the use of iron sights and/or an optic? What is the intended purpose for this AR? General use/HD? Range toy? Competition?

The reason I ask these things is that they will help to determine what you will want/need as far as a trigger and optic. I am a firm believer in people learning to use iron sights before they move onto an optic. On most modern ARs, iron sights only serve as backups to the optics. Many never get any practice with the iron sights, nor do they even bother to zero them. You never want to totally rely on your optic. They can fail.

Without having any more information than you provided in your initial post, I recommend the ALG ACT (trigger group) and the VORTEX Strikefire. Both are cost saving and they work well. As far as BUISs are concerned, I recommend the MAGPUL MBUS. They are lightweight, work well, and are inexpensive. These are just recommendations based on the very little information you supplied. Once you are more specific about the AR and its purpose, these recommendation could change.

young gun

Shooter
    I haven't decided on a rifle to get yet but have an narrowed down to 3 choices. Once I decide on the rifle I will be able to supply more information. I am new to using an AR but have experience with iron sights and some optics. I was planning on getting offset iron sights to go along with whatever optic I choose.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Have you shot an AR with offset sights? No experience myself, just asking. I've seen a couple guys run these in a match before, it would take some adjustments on my part to shoot with em.

I haven't decided on a rifle to get yet but have an narrowed down to 3 choices. Once I decide on the rifle I will be able to supply more information. I am new to using an AR but have experience with iron sights and some optics. I was planning on getting offset iron sights to go along with whatever optic I choose.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Offset sights are not needed unless you are using a magnified optic and need to quickly transition from the optic to the irons and back. Most all 3-Gun Competition ARs are set up this way because of the varied distances they have to engage targets. In most cases, BUISs are just that, backups. On a general purpose AR with either a red-dot or a magnified scope, iron sights more commonly mounted on the receiver/handguard top rail in line with the optics. Here are some examples.

Red-dots

Magnified scopes

madeSICC88

Master
    ^^^ this guy obviously doesn't have much experience with the AR platform^^^

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom