• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    I was reading the steps in getting a C&R license and it looks really easy (and inexpensive).
    Just what is covered was a little confusing though. I know there's the 50 year thing but then there's something about military guns had to have been actually issued, etc.
    Are most of the C&R covered guns old military weapons or would , say, a Smith and Wesson Model 36 manufactured in 1960 be eligible ?
    I saw a list of eligible guns posted but it never would download for me.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    ok so what R some main Advantages of C&R?? Why would u want License?

Garpo

Master
    ok so what R some main Advantages of C&R?? Why would u want License?

Have C&R eligible firearms delivered right to you home (no ffl fees) and get discounts from folks like Midway USA and Brownells, just to name a few. It's not for everybody but to a collector, it may be worth it.

If you like older guns and military surplus, a C&R is the way to go. Anything over 50 years old, or on the list can be shipped directly to the C&R license holder's address. Pawns shops, gun stores, and online gun sales are made much easier for the holder of a C&R license (unless the seller chooses not to accept C&R).

For example, I have a few older revolvers that I could not sell to a resident of Florida with out transferring them first to a FFL license holder in FL, then to purchaser. But, a C&R license holder from FL could buy C&R eligible firearms from me without any paperwork except providing me a copy of their license for my records, and for recording their license number in my log book transferring the gun to them.

S&W are sometimes hard to date, but I have sold quite a few 5-screws, and pre-model smiths to C&R holders. I have sold a flat latch diamond grip 36 that was old enough to qualify as a C&R.

Yes, some do balk at sending to C&R. Many different reasons, some valid, some not. There are plenty of places that cater to C&R sales. When I had my C&R, I saved enough on my first purchase to pay for the license fee.

Garpo

Master
    There are plenty of places that cater to C&R sales.

Yep and you will have no trouble buying from the big dealers, such as: Aim Surplus, J&G Sales, Classic Firearms, Southern Ohio Gun (SOG), Centerfire Systems and Century Arms. Trust me, they will help you max out your credit cards. :madgrin:

Idoono

Master
    Yep and you will have no trouble buying from the big dealers, such as: Aim Surplus, J&G Sales, Classic Firearms, Southern Ohio Gun (SOG), Centerfire Systems and Century Arms. Trust me, they will help you max out your credit cards. :madgrin:

Now this sounds like the voice of experience! :thumb:

Idoono

rick1967

Shooter
    Midway does not longer have a dealer's pricing , Grafs and Sons does not accept C&R for new dealers accounts , Brownells does but the discounts are good mostly for gunsmithing and gun parts as there is very little saving , if any, on anything else.
    Firearms that are C&R eligible typically sell online for higher prices than the ones that are not , most of the times is cheaper to pay the 20 dollars FFL fee.
    One advantage the licence gives to you is the ability to buy eligible handguns from out of state but I have found that some small shops will not sell it to you anyhow as they have been verbally told by the ATF not to sell handguns to C&R licence holders.
    My C&R is about to expire and I am not sure I am going to renew it. I've got my Mosins, my k31s , Cz82 , tokarev , sks, makarov and there is not much else surplus out there right now that interests me.

Garpo

Master
    Midway does not longer have a dealer's pricing , Grafs and Sons does not accept C&R for new dealers accounts , Brownells does but the discounts are good mostly for gunsmithing and gun parts as there is very little saving , if any, on anything else.
    Firearms that are C&R eligible typically sell online for higher prices than the ones that are not , most of the times is cheaper to pay the 20 dollars FFL fee.
    One advantage the licence gives to you is the ability to buy eligible handguns from out of state but I have found that some small shops will not sell it to you anyhow as they have been verbally told by the ATF not to sell handguns to C&R licence holders.
    My C&R is about to expire and I am not sure I am going to renew it. I've got my Mosins, my k31s , Cz82 , tokarev , sks, makarov and there is not much else surplus out there right now that interests me.

I'm not renewing mine.

Top Bottom