Why has the 40S&W fallen out of favor as of late?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Marksman
    I know the last ammo "shortage" made people rethink their calibers. .40 cal was hard to get and expensive. 9mm was expensive and easy to get. I may be wrong but my sales and talks back then had a lot of people prioritize calibers & availability.
    My experience was just the opposite. During the last shortage I went to a LGS because I had a class coming up that was going to use about 1500 rounds in two days and I wanted to buy a full case. The salesman said there was a two-box limit right now and anything more would need manager's approval. When I said I needed .40 the manager said I could have as much as I wanted, but the 9mm was locked down.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    My experience was just the opposite. During the last shortage I went to a LGS because I had a class coming up that was going to use about 1500 rounds in two days and I wanted to buy a full case. The salesman said there was a two-box limit right now and anything more would need manager's approval. When I said I needed .40 the manager said I could have as much as I wanted, but the 9mm was locked down.

I recall .40 being easier to find as well.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Agree.

During the last "shortage" I was able to get .40 easier than 9mm. Sometimes at a cheaper cost also.

Hank62

Shooter
    I'm also a big .40 fan. But with the new 9mm defensive rounds that are really close ballistically, cost less and are easier on my old wrists, well, they won me over. I think it started with a purchased my sig365.

FrommerStop

Master
    What company made the conversion barrels?
    I'm trying to remember who I used.
    I think Lone Wolf for the glock.
    And maybe Storm Lake for the M&P, which has made a permanent home for home defense. Mainly because I have the Performance Center and the .40 barrel is ported. And I don't want that for inside shooting.
    I also seem to recall they quit making the conversion barrel. Which I was thrilled to pick up a midsize, 2.0 complete 9mm slide assembly from a member here.

Never had a problem with the conversion barrels.
    Lone wolf barrels was my source and I was using a .40 slide with the 9mm conversion barrel made to the fit the 40 slide.

polee

Shooter
    I was a LEO for a state agency and my department went from 9mm to .40, and back to 9mm. It was pure dollars and cents.

Top Bottom