• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shayne.merritt

Shooter
    I recently purchased a box of G2 Research R.I.P (Radically Invasive Projectile) .45 ACP rounds. Typically, my pistol and mags are loaded with Federal .45 ACP 230gr HST... Does anyone here have any experience with the R.I.P rounds (I have actually never heard of this particular round prior to purchase). The R.I.P is a 162gr, copper round with a muzzle velocity of approx 960 fps, whereas the Federals 230gr sits at about 820 fps... Not knowing a whole lot about the R.I.P round when I bought it, I was kinda disheartened when I got home and started loading a magazine because it is actually really light, like, almost ridiculously light (it feels closer to the weight of a 9mm)... So, long story short, is this a viable, dependable round capable of a similar stopping power that one expects from a .45, or did I waste my money? Thanks y'all for your input...

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    stick with the HSTs bud. rip stuff is gimicky flash for the zombie hoard set... Hornady TAP 230gr is my choice for .45acp but HSTs are proven performers too. stick to Speer, Hornady, Cor-bon(if you can ever find it) HSTs and Hydro-shocks. they all have a good record of terminal balistics.

shayne.merritt

Shooter
    That was kinda my thoughts on them (after the fact) but I figured I'd ask anyways... Thanks for the input... I actually prefer the Hornady myself and have my 9mm's loaded with the Critical Defense 115gr FTX rounds, however, the HSTs where my best option at the time (last year when ammo was in short supply)... Anyways, again, I appreciate your feedback and am glad I only bought 1 box

BowChamp

Expert
    Do a search on you tube.

The petals are designed to separate and the base continues penetrating.

SAWMAN

Master
    I use the Hornady 230gr XTP +P in my 16" Beretta CX4 Storm.
    Granted,longer bbl but they work great on even the biggest of hogs at <50yds.
    Mostly complete pass thru' causing alot of damage along the way. Recovered several. NO JACKET SEPERATION. This was a 215lb+ sow IIRC.
    These are going 1055 out of the 16" bbl. ---- SAWMAN
    20160903_125411.jpg

shayne.merritt

Shooter
    Do a search on you tube.

The petals are designed to separate and the base continues penetrating.
    I usually include a YouTube search as part of my due diligence when researching pretty much everything (it's a small part, but one none the less). I often find that most of the vids on YouTube are posted by either the organization that created the product, a private solicitor that is endorsing the product, or a business that endorses and sales the product, so making any video that shows the slightest negativity in said product is counter productive and therefore cannot really be viewed or taken as an unbiased, objective, honest representation. This happens to be the case here, I'm finding all kinds of great stuff on their 9mm, which is gonna perform great on video, however, I need an accurate representation on the .45, which comes as a side note... G2 Research claims their .45 R.I.P round is capable of massive primary cavitation and penetration of *up to 16", however, the actual evidence from people that have nothing to gain from the success of the round, shows cavitation that is typical of most .45 ACP but with a following penetration of less than 12", at least with the HST rounds I know I'm getting a consistent 14" or better in the penetration department. I do appreciate your feedback, tho... Thank you

SAWMAN

Master
    Simple "fix" - -> .451" hollow base wadcutter ... loaded backwards.
    We used to load like this for our power heads (bang sticks) ... devastating. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Everyone under 35 knows the 45 acp is obsolete and no longer capable of stopping a man or an animal . Even the fbi is intelligent enough to switch to 9mm , a far superior man stopper. ;);)
    :cool:

shayne.merritt

Shooter
    Everyone under 35 knows the 45 acp is obsolete and no longer capable of stopping a man or an animal . Even the fbi is intelligent enough to switch to 9mm , a far superior man stopper. ;);)
    Yeah... But I'm not under 35... Soooooo... As far as saying it's obsolete, I will have to disagree... The .45 has its application, as does the .380, 9mm, and 40 cal... It all comes down to how and where are you gonna use it... I have some great tools in my garage, however, I don't consider 1 better than the other; if the application calls for a socket set, then at that point in time, the socket is the absolute best tool, however, if it calls for a10 lb sledge, that same once greatest tool is now completely useless to me... I carry a 9mm as my daily, because out and about it's the perfect tool for the application... When I was on duty, I carried a 40 cal, mostly because when I went threw the academy, the Glock 22 was not only the most affordable for me, most of the departments in my area favored the 40, so in that application, it was in fact, the perfect tool for me... Now in my nightstand, next to my bed, is my Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in .45, along with 8 or so magazines (I don't have to worry about carrying so many on me) which is absolutely the perfect tool for that application... Since my 12 gauge doesn't fit in my nightstand, and I'm not gonna leave it just kinda hanging out on the floor next to my bed, if, for any reason, I need it in the middle of the night, that's the one I'm gonna grab to fight my way to a long gun... People get so one tracked minded that there is only 1 "perfect" caliber that they fail to see they are all perfect in their own, specific application....

Reactions: FLT
    G2 Research in my opinion are among the top defense rounds in terms of reliability, performance, and damage. I love them, they make RIPs, civic duty rounds, and many others. Their frangibility damage is extremely high. They fragment into 6-8 different pieces on impact. Reason they are light is because they need less powder to not over penetrate and that way there is a higher chance the fragments displace their kinetic energy in the soft target instead of somewhere passed it. A++++ in my book

shayne.merritt

Shooter
    G2 Research in my opinion are among the top defense rounds in terms of reliability, performance, and damage. I love them, they make RIPs, civic duty rounds, and many others. Their frangibility damage is extremely high. They fragment into 6-8 different pieces on impact. Reason they are light is because they need less powder to not over penetrate and that way there is a higher chance the fragments displace their kinetic energy in the soft target instead of somewhere passed it. A++++ in my book
    Thank you... I really appreciate your input!!

Im 25 and I love my 1911...more so as a bear gun and as a wall hanger. I would probably not pick that over my 9mm Sig P320 Carry. As a battle pistol, both are well beyond proven worthy. However I'd still pick the high cap over the larger round. There's a saying that goes ".45 is better than 9mm, but 17 rounds of 9mm is better than 7 rounds of .45"

On the contrary......15 rounds of .40 cal Federal HST's are better than 17 rounds of 9mm. That's why I bought the new gen 5 glock 22. That's a real deal battle pistol. The recoil does not bother me

Top Bottom