• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditchdoctor81

Shooter
    Thanks for any help on this!

I have read through several topics on here about presses for beginners. I have decided to go with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...tage-press-kit?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I will eventually purchase a progressive press (I may go ahead & buy one in the very near future & just put it up until I'm comfortable), so would I be good with getting the Lee now? I will be reloading 9mm, 40, 223, 243, & 270 eventually. I will probably just start out doing 1 or 2 different calibers until I got the hang of it. After reading some topics from other forums I will be picking up a electronic scale, tumbler, calipers, case gauge, deburring tool & Lee trimmer. Any other suggestions (besides powder, cases, bullets, & primers). I already have the ABC's of reloading book, I'll be picking up a few more as others have suggested on here also.

Thanks again for any input

brasshog

Marksman
    I loaded ammo with my original Lee single stage press for over 15 years when I was a high volumn shooter. It will last a long time and I prefer to only use a single stage press. Take the scale that comes with the kit and sell it. Buy yourself a RCBS 10-10 scale and it will last forever. Purchase a micro-seating die for the real accurate loadings as well as good brass trimmer/neck reamer (Foster). A nice set of screwdriver size primer pocket cleaners are also nice to have as well as a primer pocket uniformer and primer seating die. I immediately tossed my hand primer because after awhile the ol' hand cramps something fierce lol. Hornady makes some good dies btw and don't buy steel dies or you'll be lubing every case and eventually you'll need a stuck case remover. Get a good CURRENT relaoding book. I prefer Nosler because they tell you the most accurate load per powder and cartridge as well as to how much of the case is filled to capacity. Hope this helps.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I will throw in that I have never tumbled a case in 40 years. I don't load extremely high volume like for competition and never felt a need for a tumbler. I just wipe them with a damp cloth to get the sand and dirt off. I use the screwdriver type primer pocket cleaner to clean the pockets. Lube, size, wipe the lube off with a clean cloth. My rounds may not be pretty but they don't look any worse than the military ammo looks when it's new. If you need your ammo to look like new then go right ahead. There is surely nothing wrong with tumbling them. Just never use any products containing ammonia. It will eat your brass at the microscopic level.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I bought the same kit to start with. I use small plastic baskets, clear plastic cereal boxes and reloading blocks a LOT to help while sorting and processing cases. Also, the Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure will make like much easier while loading handgun ammo. You can also get the rifle charging die which will work great for 223 plinking ammo. A powder trickler will be nice when loading rifle rounds. I have never used a case gauge, but ymmv. Also, buy multiple reloading manuals.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty of other tips and tricks that I've picked up the last few months. Just ask if you have any other quesitions.

Oh, one more thing. Extra Breech Lock Lock Ring Eliminators or the regular Breech Lock Bushings will come in very handy to easily change out dies and keep them at their previous setting.

ditchdoctor81

Shooter
    My press was delivered today, only dies in stock that I ordered were .40, but no brass, bullets, or powder so I guess I'm SOL! HA!

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions eventually!

Giortire

Expert
    Hi Doctor,
    Check out E-Bay. They actually have some good deals on dies. I got a set of Lee 25-06 today for $32 including shipping. Great price and they were in stock.
    Mike

dvr6

Expert
    Thanks for any help on this!

I have read through several topics on here about presses for beginners. I have decided to go with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...tage-press-kit?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I will eventually purchase a progressive press (I may go ahead & buy one in the very near future & just put it up until I'm comfortable), so would I be good with getting the Lee now? I will be reloading 9mm, 40, 223, 243, & 270 eventually. I will probably just start out doing 1 or 2 different calibers until I got the hang of it. After reading some topics from other forums I will be picking up a electronic scale, tumbler, calipers, case gauge, deburring tool & Lee trimmer. Any other suggestions (besides powder, cases, bullets, & primers). I already have the ABC's of reloading book, I'll be picking up a few more as others have suggested on here also.

Thanks again for any input

I think the Lee reloading manual is very informative. Of course he is biased to Lee products but if you can look beyond that their is a lot of really good information. Also I like to use a hand held 'trickle type' powder dispenser at times.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I think the Lee reloading manual is very informative. Of course he is biased to Lee products but if you can look beyond that their is a lot of really good information. Also I like to use a hand held 'trickle type' powder dispenser at times.

The Lyman manual is also very good. That's the first one I read to learn and understand the basics. I bought the Lee manual soon after and I didn't think it was quite as easy to understand as the Lyman. Just my $.02.

Top Bottom