• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garpo

Master
    I'm sure most of the people who jump on the boycott band wagon already don't shop there either so it's easy to say you will boycott them.

You are making a broad assumption. I have in the past and my wife is/was a frequent shopper there. And yes, we will be adding them to a list. Target is entitled to make that their policy and I'm free to make a decision – not to shop there.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    You are making a broad assumption. I have in the past and my wife is/was a frequent shopper there. And yes, we will be adding them to a list. Target is entitled to make that their policy and I'm free to make a decision – not to shop there.

Yep and it's based on 20+ years of watching people jump on the boycott bandwagon. If the truth be known, I wouldn't doubt that nationwide more than 50% of those saying they will boycott Target haven't bought anything from Target within the last 12 months and probably a higher number than that haven't bought anything from Target in the last 6 months. I would also wager that 99% of them won't be able to talk their wife into not shopping there because they don't like their gun policy.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Not the point, target shopping is a choice not a necessity...SO my choice it to pass them by and tell everyone I know..which with their not securing your card data then lying about it, should not be a hard choice. Besides they are higher priced than their competitors. Don you must work there or own stock...lol

jakec

Master
    i only go to target to look at chicks. way hotter chicks than wally world.

Garpo

Master
    I would also wager that 99% of them won't be able to talk their wife into not shopping there because they don't like their gun policy.

Well, once again I must be in the 1% because my wife heard about this before I read it on the forum. She already said adios to target without any input from me. I guess that's one more reason why I've been married to her for 44 years. :nod:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Don you must work there or own stock...lol

Neither, I just think it's hilarious that people will jump on the bandwagon based on some BS posted on the internet. When is the last time you shopped at Target Frank? Let me guess, last week. I don't really care if everyone boycotts everything, I just find it funny and that it shows a lack a real commitment when they won't give up the things that would be inconvenient for them. Must be fair weather boycotters. A person committed to "the cause" would be planting their garden, raising their meat and walking to work in the buckskins they made from the hide of their game they took while sticking it to "the man." LOL

Seriously though, I guess I was just cool before boycotting was cool because I haven't bought anything from Target in at least 8 years since I moved from Fort Walton and even then I don't think I was in the store more than 4-5 times since it opened there. It's just not someplace I shop since I buy most things on the internet except for groceries, gas and tobacco; I get those things in Alabama since they are less expensive there and it's only 10 minutes further than going to Crestview. I only go to WalMart about once a month to get one of my wife's prescriptions that our regular pharmacy doesn't stock on a regular basis.

Boycott on my friend; WOLVERINES!!!! :heh:

Garpo

Master

Attachments

• 1317339429855_cached.jpg
      1317339429855_cached.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 151
    • Getty_021412_MichelleObamaTargetDress.jpg
      Getty_021412_MichelleObamaTargetDress.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 153

Clay

Master
    Don- I appreciate your opinions, but they are not accurate. There have been many studies done on the effectiveness of consumer boycotts and consumer sovereignty. These are scholarly articles not subjective opinions or empirical data. Boycotts, when embraced by people who are passionate about their cause, have profound impacts on buying trends, stock prices and overall market values of the companies targeted. Gun control, like abortion or same sex marriage, doesn't attract 'bandwagon' members. High-value social and political positions are pre-existing in people based on ethics, morals, religion, etc.. and not influenced by popular trends or 'bs' posted on the internet. PETA, NRA, Greenpeace, etc..all attract like-minded people who support their positions through various means, including boycotts. Online social media has made boycotts much more effective and the research is out there supporting this.

That will $130 for that session, you can pay my secretary on the way out.

An brief example... PETA Fur is Dead Campaign

PETA’s “Fur Is Dead” campaign, where they get creative in showing consumers that behind every fur coat, collar, or cuff is a living animal, has convinced designers such as Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Calvin Klein and retailers such as Kenneth Cole, Ann Taylor, Express, Gap, Banana Republic, Forever 21, American Eagle Outfitters, J.Crew, and Eddie Bauer among others to stop selling fur. PETA even convinced Oliver Stone, Rob Reiner, and other filmmakers to keep real fur off movie sets.

Other notches in PETA’s belt include persuading General Motors Corp. to stop using animals in crash tests, convincing Abercrombie & Fitch, Timberland, and H&M to boycott Australian mulesed wool and pressuring Revlon Inc., Avon Products Inc., and more than 500 other cosmetic companies to stop animal testing.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Jakec, get out from under the dressing room doors! They all look the same from your angle!

Don, if you don't have a dog in the hunt why comment?

Clay, thank you, boycotts do work!

BOYCOTT MEXICO till our Marine is returned!

bohica793

Master
    Target fell off my list after their inability to secure their customer's financial information became public. I never really did much shopping there to begin with, but that terminated any future possibility of such occurring. Their policy of no guns in their store would not stop me from carrying if I did choose to shop there. Whether they like it or not, their policy does not outweigh my constitutional right. If they choose to ask me to leave for doing so, I will, as that is what the law prescribes. They have to figure out I have it first and if I do my part properly, that will not happen.

Seanpcola

Wife and I went back to about 90% cash transactions in larger retailers a couple of years ago for that reason. She had too many clients in her accounting office taking hits.

wareagle50

Master
    They got 400,000 signatures telling Target not to allow guns in the stores. There are a million CCP in Florida alone. The numbers do not look good for Target.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Don- I appreciate your opinions, but they are not accurate. There have been many studies done on the effectiveness of consumer boycotts and consumer sovereignty. These are scholarly articles not subjective opinions or empirical data. Boycotts, when embraced by people who are passionate about their cause, have profound impacts on buying trends, stock prices and overall market values of the companies targeted. Gun control, like abortion or same sex marriage, doesn't attract 'bandwagon' members. High-value social and political positions are pre-existing in people based on ethics, morals, religion, etc.. and not influenced by popular trends or 'bs' posted on the internet. PETA, NRA, Greenpeace, etc..all attract like-minded people who support their positions through various means, including boycotts. Online social media has made boycotts much more effective and the research is out there supporting this.

That will $130 for that session, you can pay my secretary on the way out.

An brief example... PETA Fur is Dead Campaign

PETA’s “Fur Is Dead” campaign, where they get creative in showing consumers that behind every fur coat, collar, or cuff is a living animal, has convinced designers such as Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, and Calvin Klein and retailers such as Kenneth Cole, Ann Taylor, Express, Gap, Banana Republic, Forever 21, American Eagle Outfitters, J.Crew, and Eddie Bauer among others to stop selling fur. PETA even convinced Oliver Stone, Rob Reiner, and other filmmakers to keep real fur off movie sets.

Other notches in PETA’s belt include persuading General Motors Corp. to stop using animals in crash tests, convincing Abercrombie & Fitch, Timberland, and H&M to boycott Australian mulesed wool and pressuring Revlon Inc., Avon Products Inc., and more than 500 other cosmetic companies to stop animal testing.

But guess what Clay, if I want I can still buy dead animal coats from Ralph Lauren along with Gucci, Oscar de Larenta and most other high end designers. So what exactly did they stop?

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Womens-Clothing/Coats/Fur-Faux-Fur/cat44950773/c.cat

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...ff4eg&LScreativeid=1&LSlinkid=15&LSoid=203720

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Don, if you don't have a dog in the hunt why comment?

Sorry Frank, I didn't realize only one opinion on a subject was allowed. Feel free to let me know the popular opinion when the next subject comes up. I'm also sorry to have to tell you, but boycotts have little long term effect on retailers. Just like I posted above, Ralph Lauren and others are still making fur and animal skin coats despite PETAs efforts and chest thumping.

SAWMAN

Master
    I have been in the Target store exactly twice in the last 11years. And only then because my sweet wife dragged me in for some long forgotten reason.

If I do,by some strange chance,have to grace their stoop again,I will walk right past the sign. It means exactly zilch point shit to me.

Concealed means concealed. --- SAWMAN

Clay

Master
    Don, boycotts have 'stopped' a variety of causes such as 'dolphin free tuna' in the US which targeted major corporations to change policy, but stopping is not a realist goal of boycotting. You may be confused as to it's definition and intent.

—verb (used with object)
    to combine in abstaining from, or preventing dealings with, as a means of intimidation or coercion: to boycott a store.
    to abstain from buying or using: to boycott foreign products.

Fundamentally, the goal is to bring attention and negatively impact revenues either for the long-term by losing a customer base or short-term until the company refocuses their policy in favor of consumers. There will always be fur manufacturers, however, their ability to sell their product to consumers and their total sales is the effect desired by boycotts. Fur sales have declined since 05. All the while inflation, costs, fuel, resources, etc have gone up. Fur prices have risen too, less people are buying and those who are pay more. This is the desired effect. Target will of course stay in business, but their profits will be impeded if gun rights groups and their subsequent members boycott the store.

U.S. Retail Fur Sales
    2012 – $1.27 billion
    2011 – $1.34 billion
    2010 – $1.30 billion
    2009 – $1.26 billion
    2008 – $1.36 billion
    2007 – $1.59 billion
    2006 – $1.61 billion
    2005 – $1.82 billion

I treat a lot of people with Oniomania, shopping disorders. Consumer behavior is a fascinating subject to me, but I respect your right to disagree and am happy you're not a target customer.

Last edited:

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Sorry. Not gonna boycott Target because they dont want open carriers in their store, after some morons acted a fool. These OCT guys, among others, have done nothing but create problems. More problems than they are solving. We are fighting an uphill battle, and we manage to win these battles when we dont allow people to do stupid things. Open carry should be close to the bottom of, if not last on, the list of things we need to accomplish.

The NRA did the right thing when they tried to distance themselves, but felt it necessary to walk it back the next day and look like fools in the process.

So Target doesnt want you open carrying in their stores. So what? It matters not what they say in some press release. Until that circle-slash goes on the door, we still have the upper hand.

The better thing to be upset about, as pointed out earlier, is their inability to keep your private info private. But thats a long list, too.

Want to push back? We need to push the way Everytown does. Show up and protest the way they do. We will make a larger splash than the usual 12 women they have at their "protests". Push for more coverage of positive gun stories, or stories about DGUs. Most of all, we need to push the morons back out of the way so they cant look at them and classify all of us as gun-nuts(derogatory, defamatory). They push for what they want, its time we showed them what pushing is. The best part about it will be that we dont have a billionaire backing us and we can do more.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Clay, I have boycotted fur for a long time now, all my ladies have shaved since the 80's...TA DA

Top Bottom