• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    After I get 200-300 through it and if it's still a problem, I'll have someone take a look. I think it's a burr in there that may work down.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Ok cool. I don't recall mine having that particular issue. I'm sure trying a couple different types of mags would help. Mine was already "broke in" though.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Ok cool. I don't recall mine having that particular issue. I'm sure trying a couple different types of mags would help. Mine was already "broke in" though.

I cleaned it, and I've been sitting here most of the day racking and racking and racking the slide on the first round over and over and I cannot get it to replicate the problem like I was able to do yesterday before the cleaning today. Maybe it worked itself out! Or maybe it's the dirty ammo. I only shot 100 rounds and man it was caked in there! This was Armscor 230gr Ball ammo. It was pretty darn dirty. Maybe I'll try some different ammo and see what happens next time!

Stagman

Master
    I had the same problem with my Kimber and it turns out the factory Kimber mags are junk, I switched to Chip McCormick 8rd classic mags and solved the issue. About 95% of feeding issues with 1911's will be solved with a decent mag, most all factory mags are junk. Try Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat mags and I bet your problems will be solved.

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Chip McCormick Shooting Stars have been flawless for me in the three different 1911s that I have. (stainless or blued)

wildrider666

Master
    1. Some owners manuals say firearms need X boxes of rounds down the pipe to break them in, others don't address it. I don't mind a minor hiccup on a pistol until I hit the 200 rd mark. Pistols that run flawless during the break in are great.

2. New gun with tight tolerances need good lube properly applied. Clean it well, and if you don't do a total strip: use a aresol gunscrubber to flush out the gun.

3. Feed issue. I recommended you get it feeding Ball ammo prior to going to HP type ammo. Repeat each of these at least five times with each mag (number your mags).
    A. Full mag with rds seated against the back of the mag.
    B. Slide open, insert/seat mag. Hit slide release. Results?
    C. Same as B. But "slingshot" release the slide, this method compresses the recoil spring more, allows the slide to have more energy when it contacts the rd and to drive it into the chamber. Results?
    D. Same as C. But from a closed slide. Results?
    E. It appears after the first round fired, the pistol cycled through the rest when fired. You must check that it will feed from an open slide with 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and a single round to ensure reliability.
    F. Write down the FTF by exact position of the jam. Slide skipped over rd, Nose up, down, level, angle in or out AND its relation to the chamber/ramp.
    G. Feed lips can be adjusted. A very slight widening in front will raise the rds angle earlier in its movement. Reducing the gap will lower the angle. You want to adj. Both sides equally and at the same time. I use a small plastic carpenters square. Small adj make big changes.
    H. If your using mags with padded floor plates: slide open, seat the Mag and see if you can insert a $1 bill between the pad and frame/grip to ensure it seats without binding on the pad.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Looks like it might be the ammo. This Armscor ammo has a very thick/protruding casing lip around the bullet. That casing lip was catching at the top of the feed ramp it seems. Bought some WWB and the casing lip is next to nothing compared to this Armscor ammo.

de559dae68055f6191bbcf06454f683b.jpg

Telum Pisces

Master
    Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the info. I will avoid that ammo brand.

May be just fine in other guns. But it seems this brand just does not have a crimp. I've purchased non crimped ammo before in my other calibers and not had an issue. But this seems to be an issue for this gun it seems.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Put some more rounds through it without a hiccup! I love how this gun shoots! I have some HP rounds on the way to see how it handles those. But man I can't get over how good looking of a gun it is.

Attachments

• IMG_5318 small.jpg
      IMG_5318 small.jpg
      131.1 KB · Views: 121
    • IMG_5319 small.jpg
      IMG_5319 small.jpg
      116.3 KB · Views: 115
    Top Bottom