• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meljel1

Expert
    Best .22LR Handguns For The Money of 2020

What do you all think of this article are they right or wrong? I am new to guns, and learning. I have problems with my shoulders (easily dislocated) and my left shoulder recently(months back) I tore the rotar cuff, two muscles and dislocated it. A friend told me the best gun for me would be a 22 so I'm looking into buying, but before I do is the 22 the best for someone like me or is there another gun that is better for me that does what it needs to without a major kickback when shooting it. Thank you.

Garpo

Master
    S&W 22 Compact. Easy to load, easy to rack, accurate and reliable.

I recently picked up a Taurus 942 revolver which is also reliable and surprisingly accurate for a 2" barrel. I call it simplicity at its best.

FrommerStop

Master
    The use you intend for the gun might have some bearing on what is 'best' for you. What I would choose self defense would be different than what i would use for hunting or plinking.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    It really depends on what you're going to use it for and what fits & works for you. Any of the ones on your list would probably be fine as long as they fit you well and serve your purpose. You might consider renting some to try out. Oak Ridge range in Gulf Breeze/Midway rents guns, but I don't know what .22s they have to rent. If I had to choose one on the linked list, it'd be the Ruger Mark IV.

For me, my favorite target .22 is my S&W Model 41, but these are fairly heavy (for a .22) and quite pricey nowadays. For simple plinking/target fun, I think the ATI/GSC 1911 .22s are hard to beat for the price, but hey, I'm a 1911 kind of guy so YMMV. They are made in Germany and mine (I have 2) have functioned perfectly. Prices and availability vary online, but I paid less than $240 each for mine. They are very light, and the first time I pulled the slide back on one, it was so easy I thought they'd forgotten to install the recoil spring. Good luck finding the perfect one for you.

The ATI/GSG comes in Black, two-tone Black & Silver, and Tan. Here is one of mine...(my other one is the 2-tone)...
    GSG-1911-22-Desert Tan2.jpg

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    If it were for self defense I would look into a better quality revolver with shorter barrel and medium or smaller frame. Some revolvers come with 10 shot cyclinders. For self defense with rimfire cartridges, the revolver does have an edge. If the cartridge does not fire a pull of the trigger and that chamber is out of the way to fire the next one in line.
    I have an S&W 41 and they are often not happy with many brands of low velocity ammo. Mine will handle CCI standard velocity, but not Aguila standard velocity that shoots fine in other pistols. I think they sell for about $1,300 or so these days.
    Model 41
    SKU: 130511
    $1,369.00*

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

1598798715445.png

Snake-Eyes

Master
    If you want a single gun for multi-purpose, look at the Taurus TX-22 and the S&W M&P 22 Compact (not to be confused with the S&W M&P 22).

For self-defense, in rimfire, if you have the often-touted FTF, would you rather rotate the cylinder to the next round and have that possible hangfire slowcook while out of battery in a revolver, or would you rather rack the slide and guarantee a fresh round and let that hangfire happen 10-feet away from you? Just something to ask yourself, since you won't be waiting a solid 30-seconds with the barrel pointed down-range, etc etc.

Both of those semi-auto pistols (TX-22 & M&P22 Compact) have great reviews. Threaded barrels. Higher capacity mags or aftermarket mods to increase the factory capacity. Easy to rack the slide. Decent sights or ability to mod. Ergonomic grips.

You could use for self-defense, if that's all your shoulder could stand.

You could plink for awhile quite enjoyably due to weight, recoil, accuracy, and ammo.

You could use for varmint control, within ethical limits.

You could carry it concealed, if desired.

There are a ton of 22LR firearms. If you want something with a shoulder stock or brace, or a bipod, or a scope, then you aren't thinking of carrying it concealed on your person, most likely.

Rebel's suggestion of the CP33 will allow suppressors, red-dots, rings and a scope, a folding brace, a bipod, a sling, etc. You could carry it concealed in a lightweight small backpack. Very accurate pistol. Awesome mag capacity of 33-rounds without a reload.

Stuff to ponder...

MicVic

Expert
    Ruger sr22 is awesome, come in two sizes and shoots everything.

boatbum101

Marksman
    IMHO a Ruger MK 1 or 2 in gently used condition . Ammo tolerant , accurate , cheap mags / parts . Careful shoppers should be able to find one for $ 400 - 500 . If trigger isn't to you're liking , a little polishing & few dabs of moly , 2lbs crisp is possible . Serious target I'd upgrade sights to something with finer adjustments as factory I find coarse . They'll feed beer cans , are robust & can be a PITA putting back together until you do it a few times .

FrommerStop

Master
    If you want a single gun for multi-purpose, look at the Taurus TX-22 and the S&W M&P 22 Compact (not to be confused with the S&W M&P 22).

For self-defense, in rimfire, if you have the often-touted FTF, would you rather rotate the cylinder to the next round and have that possible hangfire slowcook while out of battery in a revolver, or would you rather rack the slide and guarantee a fresh round and let that hangfire happen 10-feet away from you? Just something to ask yourself, since you won't be waiting a solid 30-seconds with the barrel pointed down-range, etc etc.

often-touted FTF, These do occur.
    I fire 1,000 or rounds/yr of .22 rim fire. I have had misfires, but not a hang fire. Not saying it could not happen, especially with grease or oil soaked ammo.
    Exactly what one would to expect to happen with a quality .22 LR rimfire if the chamber is rotated to the offside of the barrel and it goes off? I know most people in the middle of fight will just continue to pull the trigger.

Yes you can rack a slide, but it is slower and than pulling the trigger.

Fdanielmpt

Shooter
    I fire 1,000 or rounds/yr of .22 rim fire. I have had misfires, but not a hang fire. Not saying it could not happen, especially with grease or oil soaked ammo.
    Exactly what one would to expect to happen with a quality .22 LR rimfire if the chamber is rotated to the offside of the barrel and it goes off? I know most people in the middle of fight will just continue to pull the trigger.

I shoot thousands of 22s a year and have had some crappy ammo (Remington) that would misfire I've NEVER had one misfire wait a second or 2 and then go off. If its going to go it will go when the pin hits it or not at all. Wouldn't' bet my life on it though

Fdanielmpt

Shooter
    Best .22LR Handguns For The Money of 2020

What do you all think of this article are they right or wrong? I am new to guns, and learning. I have problems with my shoulders (easily dislocated) and my left shoulder recently(months back) I tore the rotar cuff, two muscles and dislocated it. A friend told me the best gun for me would be a 22 so I'm looking into buying, but before I do is the 22 the best for someone like me or is there another gun that is better for me that does what it needs to without a major kickback when shooting it. Thank you.
    you need to get a rope and pulley set up at your house to do passive ROM to fix that shoulder problem cheap and very effective. Runger Mk II and III rule.

FrommerStop

Master
    I shoot thousands of 22s a year and have had some crappy ammo (Remington) that would misfire I've NEVER had one misfire wait a second or 2 and then go off. If its going to go it will go when the pin hits it or not at all. Wouldn't' bet my life on it though
    If one watches how .22 rim fire is primed, it is easy for priming material not to be applied uniformly about the rim the cartridge. Often rotating the cartridge and trying it again works. A hang fire is more often associated with degradation of the priming or propellant material.

Snake-Eyes

Master

Yup. They occur all the time. That's why rimfire is inherently less reliable than centerfire. Never said otherwise.

I still think it's wise to treat a dead "click" with the respect a possible delayed ignition deserves. If in a self-defense scenario and that's the weapon I've got, then sure, move on to the next round, however that weapon is designed.

"Racking a slide vs pulling the trigger" feels like a similar debate such as "reloading the weapon via mag change or moon clips or speed loaders" or "better trigger pull" or "handgun size vs round capacity" or "perceived recoil" etc etc.

I prefer a semi-auto for many reasons.
    To each his own.

The OP has many different suggestions in this thread. If he "needs" this weapon sooner than later, then the biggest determining factors might be price and availability in today's insanity.

Welldoya

Master
    I think for the price, you can’t beat a Smith & Wesson Victory. I gave my son-in-Law one for Christmas and I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it. Very accurate.
    That said, a Ruger MK is hard to beat also but they are a little more expensive.
    I wouldn’t mess with the Single Six unless you just like single actions. I’ve got one but haven’t shot it in years. It’s a pain to load and unload.
    There are many more expensive and/or out of production .22s that are wonderful guns - Colt Woodsman and Match Target, Colt Trooper, Smith K-22 and the aforementioned Smith 41.
    Just depends on how much you want to spend.

wildrider666

Master
    Short answer would be any Ruger Mark II, III or IV would serve general purpose use well and there are a variety of new and used models out there. You didn't say cost was an issue so I didn't consider it, just best 22LR pistol IMHO.

FWIW: There's several issues here, so I'll seperate them. From your on going physical condition, it unfortunately seems it will be a long term hurdle. No mention of weakness in hands or grip strength. That's a plus for loading magazines and manipulating the Slide and controls on a Semi-auto pistol and keeps that option open. Though shooting with two hands can spread the physical load; optimally, one hand shooting capability adds to your employment versatility. Draw from a holster may also be a issue depending on holster location/angle.

Handguns can be pressed into several uses but the actual purchase should be to fill a specific requirement and it can be a "jack of all trades" to secondary uses. What will the firearm be primarily used for? The major dividing line in most applications is between Concealed Carry (CC) and "everything else".
    a. CC drives gun size that you can conseal on your body (ideally) and off body carry limited by the concealing/carrying device.
    b. "Everything else handgun" has no size/weight or other physical limitations unless you get into shooting sports which have rules and restrictions. It could fill requirements for home defense, while driving in Fl (handgun can be fully loaded, just must be properly "encased", seperate topic), boat gun, range plinker or vermin blaster, hiking gun and so on.

Caliber Consideration. Everyone's default answer is .22LR which may turn out right but don't cut yourself short if you don't need to.
    a. In power levels below the .22LR are in decending order: .22Long. .22Short and .22CB. New handguns would be very limited to North American Arms and ammo is not as prevalent as .22LR.
    b. A rough equivalent to the .22LR is the .25APC and the .32APC. These are centerfire cartridges which avoid the occasional rim fire ignition failure. These cartridges are normally chambered in smaller firearms. Preceived recoil would be largely dependent on the size of the guns grip distributing the force and the guns weight and operating system countering it. Generally, light/small get kicked while larger/heavier get pushed.
    c. Going up we have the .22Mag (or WMR). It's a pretty snappy cartridge and much harder recoil than the .22LR. Next is the .380APC which I think has less felt recoil than the .22Mag and just slightly more than the .22LR but the .380ACP recoil is relatively "soft" to shoot.
    d. Recoil is what YOU preceive. Cartridges and gun type/weight/barrel length all factor in. I highly recommend you compare appropriate size/weight .22LR to a .380APC. Walther for example makes a PK380 that is comparable to there P22 shown in the Article but there are dozens of other .380s. There are also several purpose driven self defense .380 loads which the .22LR lacks.

Two handed use may also ease your shoulder issues by spread loading the burden. Something fairly compact like the Ruger Charger 22 may work well.

You migh consider this "system" at the Link. I don't know its current status/price/availability.

Mfr also produce semi-auto pistol with a lighter slide manual cycling/racking resistance for people with grip strength issues.

I hope you find something to fit your needs.

Top Bottom