• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    I’ll be 68 next month and the older I get, the more my sense of time becomes diminished.
    A comment I saw on another forum puts it perfectly - “it happened a few years ago, which at my age can mean anywhere from 2 years to 20.”
    I’ve been a big Johnny Cash fan since the late ‘60s. The other day I saw a mention of him and couldn’t remember what year he died.
    I vividly remember all the phonies in the music industry, that had ignored him for years, suddenly wearing black “Cash” T shirts at awards shows and while performing.
    I looked it up, expecting the year to be sometime since 2015. I was flabbergasted when I saw it was 2003!
    It just doesn’t seem possible that it was 20 years ago.

Welldoya

Master
    I look in the mirror sometimes and say "that can't be right" or see people i have not seen in decades and think boy are they old and we are about the same age .
    I’ve got my 50th high school reunion in Kentucky in less than 2 weeks. Should be interesting.
    It’s been my experience that there can be an appearance of 15 years difference of people the same age at such gatherings.

Welldoya

Master
    One thing i can't understand about quite a few friends is their lack of any re-tirement planning while they were younger and that is sad .
    This is true. I know quite a few people whose retirement plan is social security. That doesn’t buy much.

FLT

Master
    If a man lives to a ripe old age and is financially comfortable, it most likely wasn’t just luck . I truly feel empathy for those that have to struggle at the end of their lives . Most are in that position because of their bad choices. But some did nothing wrong and were just unlucky.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    I turn 62 in September and will have been employed 44 years at that time with the same utility company, no plans to retire yet, health is still good and can still outwork guys that’s 30 years younger than me. May work til I’m 70 if I’m still going strong.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I'll be 62 in Dec and have the same issue with time... things that seemed not too long ago actually were.

I've learned to start enjoying things that I took for granted when younger, I make it a point to go to the grandkids' functions when possible vs. blowing it off thinking "I'll catch the next one". I've learned to say "no" at work and not worry about the implications as I can't go any higher in rank. Gave up specialty assignments in order to have more free time. Cut way back on training classes as my time now is more important than the money... shame on me as I should have known that from the start.

When I retire, I should be fine, military retirement, state retirement, and SS. My older brother, not so much. Fortunately he has very little debt and can make do on SS so long as it holds out. I'm not the kind of guy who believes SS is going away overnight, not interested in debating it lol.

Hard to look at pics of my grown kids and wonder just where in the hell time went. I've learned to stop "wishing my life away" as in "I wish it was (pick a time)". Things we wish for time wise to hurry up like opening day of hunting season, a specific weekend or date, a specific time of year, etc. all WILL COME in due time. I've learned to ENJOY THE PRESENT MOMENT as that's all you really have and it's what you will "wish for" in the future.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I turn 62 in September and will have been employed 44 years at that time with the same utility company, no plans to retire yet, health is still good and can still outwork guys that’s 30 years younger than me. May work til I’m 70 if I’m still going strong.

I'm on your heels... would like to get twenty-five in with the state which will put me at sixty-six. Wait a few months and take SS at sixty-seven.

Welldoya

Master
    Keep in mind, as we age you can be fine one day and not so fine the next.
    If there are things you want to do, do them soon.
    You will find there are a lot of things you can do when you aren’t working.

FLT

Master
    I retired early in years, but not in hours . I worked more hours than most people will have worked if they stay on the job till they are 75. That and my investments in land allowed me to retire at a pretty young age . Fortunately for me I have a lot of hobbies to occupy my time , And I don’t miss working at all.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I retired early in years, but not in hours . I worked more hours than most people will have worked if they stay on the job till they are 75. That and my investments in land allowed me to retire at a pretty young age . Fortunately for me I have a lot of hobbies to occupy my time , And I don’t miss working at all.
    me too ,self-employed in the 24 hour towing business ,while my friends were buying jewelry ,cars , vacations i was making triple mortgage payments and investing .

IronBeard

Master
    My grandmother always said the older you get, the faster it goes.

Always liked me some Cash, still do. Happy to have teen that does, too.

I have accepted that I will work until death, incapacity, or winning the lottery. FWIW, I'm just as likely to be struck by lightening. I guess a truly ain't no fortunate son...

In the end, my boys will have a better start than I had. If that comes at my own expense, I'm good.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    I’m 71 and sometimes wonder where the heck the years have gone. I have some health issues, but I still manage to do pretty much whatever I want (just returned from spending a month in the Philippines with the wife’s family). I retired at 57 with 37 years of federal civil service (and proud of my career, in spite of those who would criticize gov't employees), which included my 8 years in the army. My home was paid off years ago, I have no car payments or credit card debt, and there’s money in the bank, so I consider myself to be doing ok.

RackinRay

Master
    I am 67, and really did not feel any effect or aging until last year, in June. I re-injured an old training injury, and it did not heal quick. A few months ago, I noticed my ears and neck wattles are showing my age.

Really, with all the injuries, accidents, and surgeries over the years I feel that I am lucking to be "in surprisingly good shape for the shape I am in".

This was what a doc said to me after a physical and follow-on BP study just after I retired from the Navy and was an LEO, riding a motorcycle whenever I could...including into my doctor appointments. :p:

The old injuries still have not completely recovered, and may never. I have other issues dealing with wife's medical issues, and making her life as good as it can be.

Despite all this I know that every day on this side of the grass is one to be enjoyed, and I recently bought another motorcycle to enjoy.

Be safe, live large, and keep on trucking!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    74 this year, and 4 years since I left my lease, this or next year I will be selling the rest of my guns but 2-3 for home defense.. just over it and not inclined to get out there again. Not gonna wait till the wife sells to the leeches out there after I am gone, seen that way to many times.

Top Bottom