• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Was in the market for a particular revo for the last several days. This has been my experiences:

* Called Dave at TGD ..... sold the gun that I was considering(I snoozed,I loozed)
    *Went to Jay's on Garden St. HOLY CRAP !!! his prices are thru the roof ..... on even the "discounted" items. On not just the weapon that I was liking at,but all his stuff. I thought that somebody said that his prices have fallen. No so IMO.
    *Went to Academy. Had the weapon that I wanted. The salesperson refused to take the trigger lock off so I could try the trigger or even put my finger inside the trigger guard. There is no way that you can get the real feel of a weapon UNLESS you can do this. The salesperson was an(the)old farht that has been with them since before they moved. He still don't know shit about shit. Talked to the manager re. the incident and that the salesperson is completely uninformed for how long he has worked there. . He stated ...."come on back to the gun dept.,I will take the lock off for you". I told him that it was too late and the store had just lost a sale. he gave me that "so what" look.
    *Went to Mike's. Got a sale flyer in the mail from them a couple of days ago. Not good or great prices but they have came down from out of the clouds. New sales person named Larry. Knows his shit. Great guy to talk to. They had the weapon that I wanted. At >$70 LESS than Jay's.

Will stop at Uber's this AM then probably buy at Mike's. Of course everybody can order you that gun that you want. Don't want it THEN. Want it NOW. --- SAWMAN
    EDIT To ADD: Went to Uber's ........... OUCH !!! Bought at Mike's.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    With the sale at Mike's,seems like it was a small difference,being cheaper at Mike's. However with Academy's attitude and policies I wont be buying any guns from them. If it is a long gun Wal Fart can ALWAYS kick their ass anyway. However I would prefer to do business with the smaller shops even if I have to pay a little extra. Especially Nate and David.

BTW ...... didn't even bother with Dick's or Gander Mountain. ---- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Really ? I haven't seen any deals on long guns at WalMart. Heck, I checked with the 20% off sale and could still beat them by a wide margin at Grabagun, PSA or Bud's. They want something like $1,167 for a Colt 6920.
    I know who you are talking about at Academy. He doesn't know near as much as he thinks he does but seems pleasant enough. But then, I don't go in there very much.
    And you are right, Dick's and Gander aren't even on the radar. It's a shame too because Gander could easily be my favorite store if they were reasonable priced.

poff09

Marksman
    I've given up on most of the shops in pcola..I kno u want it NOW but having to deal w the LGS makes it worth the wait IMO..David still treats me incredibly well even tho I've only bought some froglube from him so far..I liked Jims the 1 time I went..but I don't even step into the other gun shops..I always get ignored at mikes..even when they're dead..can't afford to walk into jays..and hate the level of help at the big boxes....

Oh well....what's a guy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    I have bought quite a few guns from Wal Mart over the years. I have found that their prices will usually beat any local smaller gunshot,and I understand why. I will still give the smaller dealer a chance to match or even come close to the Wal Mart price. I have NEVER bought from Wal Mart without at least giving several other dealers a chance to match the price. NEVER !!

I find that Wal Mart,Academy,Dick's,Gander Mountain,are lumped into one group,with Wal Mart being waaaaaay cheaper if they have what you want. Obviously,if Wal Mart has to order the weapon for you,you cannot do the touchie-feelie thing. For this I will go anywhere,including gun shows. (I have NEVER bought a gun off a table at a gun show.) Catch a Wal Mart sale and you can get as much a 20%+ off their existing price which is sometimes already 10-20% below the other big box stores prices. Someone here just bought a Rem 700 SPS TAC chambered in 308Win. Tell us what it cost you at Wal Mart vs the Mike's price of $700+.

I would rather give my business to the smaller shops or even the one man operations. I will just about always give them a chance to match a price that I have otherwise found. There again ..... understanding why,IF they can't. I will usually allow them 20 bucks or so,higher than the other dealers. I will not loose any more money to allow myself to "feel good" though.

Remember gents ....... we live in a capitalistic society. This is how we do business. This is what made America great. Competition between sellers for our business helps us all (given all else is equal). --- SAWMAN

goldigger

Shooter
    Sawman , I have known Larry at Mike's for years, he actually worked there about 20 to 25 years ago, he does know his shit, he is a gunsmith also. I was real happy when he told me a few weeks back he was going back to Mike's I knew it would be a good thing. Hope it all works out with the new piece.
    Was in the market for a particular revo for the last several days. This has been my experiences:

* Called Dave at TGD ..... sold the gun that I was considering(I snoozed,I loozed)
    *Went to Jay's on Garden St. HOLY CRAP !!! his prices are thru the roof ..... on even the "discounted" items. On not just the weapon that I was liking at,but all his stuff. I thought that somebody said that his prices have fallen. No so IMO.
    *Went to Academy. Had the weapon that I wanted. The salesperson refused to take the trigger lock off so I could try the trigger or even put my finger inside the trigger guard. There is no way that you can get the real feel of a weapon UNLESS you can do this. The salesperson was an(the)old farht that has been with them since before they moved. He still don't know shit about shit. Talked to the manager re. the incident and that the salesperson is completely uninformed for how long he has worked there. . He stated ...."come on back to the gun dept.,I will take the lock off for you". I told him that it was too late and the store had just lost a sale. he gave me that "so what" look.
    *Went to Mike's. Got a sale flyer in the mail from them a couple of days ago. Not good or great prices but they have came down from out of the clouds. New sales person named Larry. Knows his shit. Great guy to talk to. They had the weapon that I wanted. At >$70 LESS than Jay's.

Will stop at Uber's this AM then probably buy at Mike's. Of course everybody can order you that gun that you want. Don't want it THEN. Want it NOW. --- SAWMAN
    EDIT To ADD: Went to Uber's ........... OUCH !!! Bought at Mike's.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    I find that Wal Mart,Academy,Dick's,Gander Mountain,are lumped into one group...
    How does Bass Pro Shops compare price-wise with that group? None of those stores in my area (except WalMart) but there is a BPS a reasonable drive away in Destin.

Seanpcola

Everyone seems to have different experiences with these gun shops. I've really never had a bad one at any. Every time I've walked into Jay's, Mike's or whoever I was greeted nicely. I've had a couple of salesmen that were a bit arrogant but that stuff doesn't bother me.

Jay's: First time I went in I thought the prices were way high. Next time I went in I told them what I wanted, they gave me a good price, then when the guy was ringing me up he knocked another $25 off the agreed upon price. When I asked why he said he noticed it was my birthday that day.

Mike's: Always had a great experience.

Uber's: Never bought a firearm but have bought supplies and was treated well.

TGD: What can you say? Fantastic people.

Buck and Bass: Same as Mike's.

I don't know, maybe my demeanor has something to do with it. I don't come across as a pushover but then again Im not overbearing either.

Bass Pro, Gander and those other big box places: I don't expect the counter guys to know much. No different than auto parts stores or Walmart. Everything is dictated by corporate. I've never bought a firearm from any of them. The only way that will happen is if they are the only people that have what I want and the price is way low. I doubt that will ever happen. If I want something anyone can get it and I'm never in a hurry. I'm just not one of those people that decides I want something and then thinks it better be in my hands right NOW. I can always wait a week.

SAWMAN

Master
    goldigger, have talked to Larry several times in the last couple of weeks. Don't really remember him from before. A real plus for him is(like you say)he is more than just a salesman. He is a machinist,gunsmith,and overall extremely knowledgeable about firearms and associated equipment.

Ross, I rate BPS right up there with the big box stores. In that,the prices are high and the salesperson was probably working selling sneakers YESTERDAY. This is at the BPS in Spanish Fort,Ala.

Sean, Forgot the two that you mentioned above. Buck and Bass is high priced IMO. The guy and his wife(?)always look at me like I'm gonna steal something. They ask me if they can help me with anything at least ever 2 minutes. Did I mention prices are HIGH ??

Uber's prices are so-so. Naomi is friendly enough. The older lady seems to be asleep-at-the-wheel. Customers are treated well also. They are quick to order most anything you want and they get it (sometimes)in 3 working days. They usually have a good supply of powder and primers.

Styx River -- Id buy from them BEFORE BPS in SF,Ala. In fact I have been heading to SF and stopped at Styx only to find the supplies I need and turned around and headed back home. They usually have a good supply of powder,primers,and other shooting related stuff. Not bad prices on firearms either. They are definitely friendly enough and knowledgeable.

The above is simply my opinion. Your experiences could surely be different. --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

I've only been to Styx River twice but I thought the people there were really friendly. Didn't pay much attention to prices since I'm a FL resident but enjoyed watching a clay match and hanging around.

SAWMAN

Master
    No sir you did not. I forgot to post.

I ended up with a S&W 642. I carried a S&W Mod 60 for some years so I still have several holsters,speed loaders,and etc. for the J Frames. Still got a bunch of practice and carry ammo for it also. The 60 is retired now and wanted a DAO(concealed hammer)gun to drop in the pants pocket or as a "quick to grab" truck gun. Being right handed and wearing my EDC weapon at the 3:30 position,it is hard to get ahold of while seated in my truck with the seatbelt on.

The 642 has a "special" little place in my truck for super quick grab'ability. Carried in it will be some of the older 129gr Federal Hydra-Shok's.

Sean, at Styx I do believe that as a Fla resident you can buy about everything except handguns and walk out the door with it. Kinda like the Robertsdale Gun Show. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Seanpcola

I want a 642. I bought an LCR in .357 and its perfect for pocket carry but the S&W was a close second. I will get one someday to add to the collection.

Yeah, I knew that about Styx. I meant handguns when I mentioned being a FL resident.

SAWMAN

Master
    The Ruger LCR's have a newer "trigger pack". I could me mistaken however I believe that it is a sealed unit and cannot be worked on by the end user. I though about one briefly however setteled on the 642 because a spring change is super easy.

I have a Wolf Spring Kit coming to me now. It only cost $12 and gives you quite a few combos of pull weights. I will post the weights after I change the springs. --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Mine (LCR) is new and yes, I don't believe mine is serviceable at the consumer level. That probably makes the 642 a better gun for serious shooters. I just wanted the lightest possible pistol. I actually almost made the mistake of ordering mine in .38 just to save an ounce or two. Thankfully smarter folks on here prevailed reasoning I wouldn't notice that small weight difference and they're right. Mine loaded with .357 mag rounds is really lighter than I expected anyway. Its a punishing little bastard but I'm not gonna put hundreds down range in a single day anyway. I just wanted something to slip into my pocket. I wasn't happy with .380 so I dumped my LCP and the XDS (45) was a bit too bulky.

I am going to change the front site out.

pavegunner1

Expert
    How does Bass Pro Shops compare price-wise with that group? None of those stores in my area (except WalMart) but there is a BPS a reasonable drive away in Destin.
    Ross....I have purchased numerous firearms from Jimmy's on South Eglin Pkwy and they have always come down on their listed price when I've asked. Great folks, super nice, and very knowledgeable. They also offer police & military (active and retired) discount sales on Glock, FN, and SW. Bass Pros prices are comparable to the other big-box stores. I've had great experiences at Cabelas and wish they were down here. Sucks we can't purchase hand guns out of state.

SAWMAN

Master
    I would absolutely agree that Jimmy's has been great to do business with. Over the years I have purchased several Glocks from them and a S&W at the military discount prices. They have always been super easy to deal with,super knowledgeable,and very helpful. I recently had my name on the Glock42 list and they promptly called me when my name came up. (BTW it was $319.) I will continue to do business with them as far as weapons and associated equipment go.

NOW ----> What we all need is to push David (TGD Firearms)into the position of a AUTHORIZED Glock Mil/LEO dealer for our area. There is not one between FWB and the Mobile area from what I have heard. I believe that with the forums help we could get him ....."blessed". --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom