• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    I brought home a Remington 870 Wingmaster from my parents house last week. My dad has late stage dementia and is 87 years old. He has no memory of this shotgun, and my mom (86) has no idea where it came from. I suspect it was given to my Dad as a retirement gift around 1988, by the men he managed, and he just can't remember it. It appears to have never been fired. It's a 12 gauge, 2 3/4 in chamber, made in Ilion, NY according to barrel markings, has a modified choke and is ribbed.

I've tried to look it up on Remington's web site, but I guess I'm getting too old. Seems like it's fighting with me. Interested in knowledge and opinions of the value if anyone cares to contribute. It's a very nice shotgun, not a mark on it. I don't think I want to sell it, I just need to know what it's value is.

Thanks in advance.

bowfreak

Master

LowRiderRed

Master
    If its from your dad, its priceless. :)
    I get what you're saying, but this one really isn't priceless to our family because we know so little about it. On the same visit I found what I believe was my Grand Daddy's single shot 12 gauge, and my Dad's double barrel 12 gauge, as well as the 410 my Dad had as a young guy. It was also my first shotgun when I was 6. Now THOSE have some family value to them. In fact if my uncle can confirm the single shot 12, it will go directly to him. His son has two sons with our family name, and I don't have any kids, so that seems to be where it should go. The double barrel I will keep as long as I live as it was a Christmas present from my Mom to my Dad the first year they were married. If I thought there was a chance I could discover the history on the 870 it would be a keeper but that's impossible. I will probably eventually sell it and buy them something they can enjoy.

Raven

Master
    My very first long arm I ever bought and got to take home is an old 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster. I still have it. You should consider keeping yours. There's no plastic in the older 870's and they were the version tested in the worst conditions on active duty. Mine came to me without a ribbed barrel and with a large amount of light surface rust. I bought it just for home defense after I had recently had my first home invasion and a seperate hold-up in my own front yard, over by Pace Blvd in Pensacola. I paid like $130 if I remember right, from an ad in the Thrifty Nickel classifieds. It's never let me down and always gone bang when I wanted it to. I was issued an 870 on active duty as an ammo supply point guard, and whereas most vets run out and buy an AR upon discharge, I bought the 870. They have been combat tested in the swamps and trenches and door-to-door in every clime and place where we could take a gun! I moved from Pensacola city limits to Myrtle Grove and soon found myself in the middle of a second home invasion. As they were beating my front door off the hinges, I got to put my old 870 to good use

Last edited:

JedClpIT

Marksman
    A search of recently completed auctions on Gunbroker shows a few nice ones fitting your description. They sold for $750 to $900. Keep in mind those folks paid an additional 10%, give or take, in taxes and fees plus $50-$80 to get it shipped and received. Special editions, trap guns etc. went for $1k plus. I hope this helps.

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Those that I looked up, had definitely been fired/used by the way. Yours would probably be higher in value.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Maine. Only clue you're getting
    +1 buddy... born down-east and damn proud of it! As for 870 value, as stated above, $800ish is probably a fair estimate. Depending on buyer, it could go much higher on condition, if it has factory box, and if the buyer has a sentimental twinge for a fine old shotty. jm2c...

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Maine. Only clue you're getting
    I would like to be buried in the cold rocky ground of Maine also, but I have settled on cremation. I am still looking for a friend to mix my ashes in 10 pounds of tannerite and give me a send off. (serious) I wish I had 21 friends, that would be awesome. I wonder if the law allows such a thing?

Raven

Master
    I would like to be buried in the cold rocky ground of Maine also, but I have settled on cremation. I am still looking for a friend to mix my ashes in 10 pounds of tannerite and give me a send off. (serious) I wish I had 21 friends, that would be awesome. I wonder if the law allows such a thing?
    Get one buddy (or the wife) to mix it, sworn to secrecy, and don't nobody else need to know. People throw ashes everywhere and I have never heard of anybody getting in trouble. Just have the good sense not to do it near a water supply

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    My ashes are to be mixed into the treats at my wake, and then a notice to be mailed out thanking them for attending and saying that they all have a little piece of me inside them (but not an explanation of what exactly it is).

LowRiderRed

Master
    A search of recently completed auctions on Gunbroker shows a few nice ones fitting your description. They sold for $750 to $900. Keep in mind those folks paid an additional 10%, give or take, in taxes and fees plus $50-$80 to get it shipped and received. Special editions, trap guns etc. went for $1k plus. I hope this helps.
    Thanks for your help! I really didn't think the values would be that high, but it looks like my Mom & Dad may get a new second fridge out of it. Thanks again!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    What kind of 870 Wingmaster if you know? Is it wood” screw in chokes or is it mod only? What is the engraving? Is it gloss or satin? Does the grip cap have a raised R or something else? Does it have a 3” chamber?

a field grade from the 92-95 era about $510 in 98%
    a field grade from the 80-88 era about $260 in 98%

SAWMAN

Master
    Some of the "estimated" values being thrown out by members are in ya-ya land.
    The above is more realistic.
    And to find an older gun in 98% would be damn near impossible. Not on the forum for sure - - -> BUT IN THE REAL WORLD - - -> 98% is 98%. Wish and dream all you want. --- SAWMAN

JedClpIT

Marksman
    The "sold" guns on that overpriced Gunbroker, well, actually happened. It was real. Hard to believe, but true. To truly estimate a gun's value one would have to "see" it. I haven't, But I like the line of questioning from "Jester". That encourage the owner to do some research or go get an estimate.

Top Bottom