• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gendoc

Master
    Oh if they are processed and cooked correctly we have eaten up to 300 lbers and all are better than store bought...you just gotta know how to do it.
    oh yes your right !!
    I do the processing and cook'n. smoked ham on tha half shell is my famous. I use the rest in deer sausage with a lil'bit of beef fat.
    my family prefers it the way they where raised. hawg gravy and cat head biskits....will make you go find sumone to slap i'll tellya..............:D

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    308 is OK, just alot of overkill..nice weapon. I love them, very tasty!

Nfluencial

Expert
    So my father in law has 40 acres and my wife's grand father quit hunting deer out there because of the hogs (he has no interest in hogs) I guess I'll be baiting with some kibble and putting the colt to good use soon.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Nfluencial, Sounds like a good place to start, bait it up, put a couple of cams out and see what you have and where. they move around alot, you may have them one moth/year and not another.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Thanks for the tip!

Start closest to any water nearby, as hot as it is they will be coming from there, sour some corn cause you want stinky bait unless they are already there.

Nfluencial

Expert
    Well I guess I was too late. He decided to make some money and sold a lease to offset this crappy economy. I guess I'm out of the hunting racket now.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well darn, there you go, rich one day poor the next!

Nfluencial

Expert
    Tell me about it. I'd get a lease but I'm being furloughed. Oh well there will be other opportunities!

Telum Pisces

Master
    I plan to head up to the woods tomorrow or Saturday evening. I got my hunting light set up on the hog killer this week and it's itching for some action now.

484732_958565505382_1485383046_n.jpg

Attachments

• 484732_958565505382_1485383046_n.jpg
      484732_958565505382_1485383046_n.jpg
      103.8 KB · Views: 263

HideBuster

Expert
    What light you go with? I checked my spot today and all I have is deer. I got a 6.8 ready to do some pig killing!

null_zpsdf73cafa.jpg

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    What light you go with? I checked my spot today and all I have is deer. I got a 6.8 ready to do some pig killing!

I ended up buying the VRL-1 Varmint Light from Cabelas. I was going to get the China lights from somewhere like Lightmall, but I wanted both green and red lights. And after I bought both LED modules, mounts, charger with both AC and DC car adapters, batteries, etc... I was up over $100 for all I wanted. For just a little more, I got it all in one package from a US store with a warranty and return ability.

I'll check my cameras and let ya know what I have. I have mostly had deer. But I have two big hogs that have been visiting about 3 times a week.

http://www.varmintlights.com/

Last edited:

Just Dave

Marksman
    Telum,

I use a scope hood when have my light mounted like yours. Do you have any problems without it? When the light is mounted forward on a rail, I don't have any issues.

As a side note too, any ground fog will render the light almost useless (it doesn't take much), especially out past 100 yards. It's like turning the high beams on in your car while driving through fog. I use a green light, maybe the red will work better in the fog. Let us know what you find out.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Telum,

I use a scope hood when have my light mounted like yours. Do you have any problems without it? When the light is mounted forward on a rail, I don't have any issues.

As a side note too, any ground fog will render the light almost useless (it doesn't take much), especially out past 100 yards. It's like turning the high beams on in your car while driving through fog. I use a green light, maybe the red will work better in the fog. Let us know what you find out.

Just with messing around at night at the house, I have noticed no issues. It simply looks like night vision through my scope with the green. But my scope lens is already set pretty far back in the bell almost like a scope hood. Green reflects more and will cause problems with fog etc... Red does penetrate and reflects less in fog. So that will help in those situations. I am using green to start off with to see how I like it and how my hogs react. The main reason is my scopes illuminated reticle is red. So I wanted that contrast. If the hogs spook more with green I may switch to red.

I moved my feeder and bait closer in all my stand locations during the summer just to bring the hogs closer in so I didn't have to worry about a 100 yard shot. It's more like 40-50 yards max to my baited areas.

Zeroed in

Master
    I seen 4 Hogs last Wednesday, a week ago while fishing..... If you want to hunt them, you or a buddy must have a boat. I will only tell 2-3 members only, and hopefully those will not tell others. If you don't repeat the location, hopefully they won't be wiped out totally, keeping a future hunting spot..... I know they're a nuisance, but where they are, not much of that to anyone....

Just PM me,

Just Dave

Marksman
    Just with messing around at night at the house, I have noticed no issues. It simply looks like night vision through my scope with the green. But my scope lens is already set pretty far back in the bell almost like a scope hood. Green reflects more and will cause problems with fog etc... Red does penetrate and reflects less in fog. So that will help in those situations. I am using green to start off with to see how I like it and how my hogs react. The main reason is my scopes illuminated reticle is red. So I wanted that contrast. If the hogs spook more with green I may switch to red.

I moved my feeder and bait closer in all my stand locations during the summer just to bring the hogs closer in so I didn't have to worry about a 100 yard shot. It's more like 40-50 yards max to my baited areas.

I'm really curious how the green light will work at 40-50 yards in regards whether or not it will spook the hogs. So I have my fingers crossed for you that you get a chance to light them up and report back. I use so much bug dope in conjunction with a thermacell in the summer time, I just about have to sit back 100 yards so they won't wind me. These FL biting insects take a toll on me and my boy. Must be genetics. I have one set up that is about 40 yards away, but haven't killed anything off of it yet. If nothing else comes about it, maybe you can disrupt the hogs nocturnal pattern enough and train them to come in at low light. Regardless, good luck on your hunt and hope to see some pics of pork hanging!!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I use my green kill light and it is very effective to 100yrds, maybe more also have a red in the same light. My stands are 40-60 yrds from the baited areas but remember I have white solar lights on all feeders that come on w motion to acclimate the hogs to lights. I can see better w the green, the red will spook a little less, just point up and bring the light down slowly to the animal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom