How is Open Carry coming along in Florida?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    I've been searching on Google to find info on the open carry issue in Florid and how it's progressing. Everything I find is over a year old and irrelevant. Does anyone have any recent and relevant information? Are there any real open carry bills being pushed in Florida? Is there any progress? Or is this at a standstill right now?

Let's not try to make this a "I don't see a need for open carry" discussion. I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of progress on making Florida an open carry state.

305RSlc

Expert
    SB 176: Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/0176
    or the house bill HB 4005: Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms

It was submitted by Greg Evers in the Senate on 12.11.14 and is currently in a filed status. I would check on his FL Senate website for updates. I'm not sure of another way to see the progress of a bill or voting schedule, so this is what I typically use. You can also sign up to to "track this bill" if you so choose by clicking the icon in the upper right corner. Oddly enough, the text on both of these bills clearly strikes carrying on college campuses but I don't see anything about open carry being stricken even though the titles state otherwise.

rockb

Expert
    A year or so a bill for OC was introduced but got whittled down until the language in 790.053 was modified to add:

"It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

That was all I was ever actually looking for anyway. The way it was written before you could be arrested for printing.

The bill that was introduced does not address "open carry" in the State of Florida as a whole. It merely addresses the concealed or open carry of a weapon or firearm into a college or university facility. I have written to Mike Hill, Matt Gaetz, and Clay Ingram about introducing new "open carry" legislation this year. Thus far, I have yet to get a response. I sent an e-mail to Gov. Scott as well regarding the same subject to get his perspective on "open carry" in Florida. I received a response from one of his staff that did not address my inquiry. Gov. Scott is pro-gun. I believe that he would sign legislation that created the right to "open carry" in Florida. If the issue is important, I urge writing to the Florida House and Senate members and express you desire and support for "open carry" legislation.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Texas has 5 bills, the new Gov says he will sign the one that gets through, I see Scott doing the same thing...hopefully a good bill will make it through.

Today, I sent House Representative Greg Steube an e-mail about starting "open carry" legislation. It never hurts to keep plugging away. When I wrote Sen. Greg Evers a few years ago, the legislation got introduced, but it got derailed and they ended up amending the current concealed carry statutes. I will not give up on "open carry" for Florida.

Dan1612

Master
    I will not give up on "open carry" for Florida.
    Any particular reason? Other than comfort, I don't think I get it, but I'm open and excited to hear some points. I also don't feel it's exercised much where it IS legal, so what's the benefit? Obviously, I'm not opposed to it, but I don't see much benefit, at least personally since I mostly carry owb, and anyone else can as well, in fact I've turned a couple of forum members onto it. I respect other's opinions and I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm honestly just curious to see what fuels James and others on the subject. Thanks.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Interesting take on open vs concealed carry in TX going on...One is the time it takes to draw a concealed at a complete surprise compared to open...huge life saving difference. Note cops don't carry concealed on the street.

JBryan314

Master
    Any particular reason? Other than comfort, I don't think I get it, but I'm open and excited to hear some points. I also don't feel it's exercised much where it IS legal, so what's the benefit? Obviously, I'm not opposed to it, but I don't see much benefit, at least personally since I mostly carry owb, and anyone else can as well, in fact I've turned a couple of forum members onto it. I respect other's opinions and I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm honestly just curious to see what fuels James and others on the subject. Thanks.

Restricting open carry is an infringement on a right that is not to be infringed. In ye olde days, criminals and crooks carried their weapons in a concealed manner while the gentlemen carried openly. It's about having the choice to do something that shouldn't be against the law.

Most people aren't going to have a lot of use for open carry, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it should be legal.

Dante, back in 1986, we had "open carry" for a short while. It was nice. No permit was required back then. It was soon revoked because some idiot down in South Florida went on a vigilante spree with two six-guns. I was able to take advantage of the "open carry" for just a short while. The main reasons I would like to have "open carry" back is that there are times it is not convenient or comfortable to wear additional clothing to carry concealed. Many times, there is no need except to conceal carry. The spring and summer months are the worst time. Additionally, I look at "open carry" as being a deterrent to anyone who may be considering a random act of violence. Granted, there is no element of surprise, but to steer someone away from such an act is sometimes better than waiting until they commit the act. As Concealed Weapon License holders, we should be permitted the option to carry concealed or open. The stipulation for "open carry" is that the person carrying must also possess a Concealed Weapon License. No license, no legal carry. The firearm also has to be encased in a holster, not just stuck in the waistband. This is my reasoning. It most certainly does not reflect the opinions of many.

Dan1612

Master
    James, it's definitely possible to carry a full size gun during summer under nothing but a T shirt. I didn't realize this until after carrying a Jframe, then deciding to try the same with a 1911, and haven't looked back since. Though I will throw a 938 in a pocket holster occasionally. You've been carrying nearly as long or longer than I've been alive, so you may already have done so, but if you want to try owb under a shirt, I'd be happy to lend you my holster just for fun. I do agree with your stipulations though. Although stipulations of such nature have proven unpopular around here before, which is fine, I'm with you on this one. Thanks!

James, it's definitely possible to carry a full size gun during summer under nothing but a T shirt. I didn't realize this until after carrying a Jframe, then deciding to try the same with a 1911, and haven't looked back since. Though I will throw a 938 in a pocket holster occasionally. You've been carrying nearly as long or longer than I've been alive, so you may already have done so, but if you want to try owb under a shirt, I'd be happy to lend you my holster just for fun. I do agree with your stipulations though. Although stipulations of such nature have proven unpopular around here before, which is fine, I'm with you on this one. Thanks!

All I use is an OWB holster (Galco w/thumb break). There are many occasions that I wear my shirt tucked in and wear a belt. Sometimes, I would wear a t-shirt tucked in and a short sleeve shirt (unbuttoned) over it. Frankly, I would rather not have to wear additional pieces of clothing just to cover my firearm. Sometimes I do not mind. Another thing, having "open carry" would allow for carrying even while at the range. If you are carry concealed at the range, it has to stay concealed per the law. The only exception is if you are going to shoot your concealed carry pistol and then it has to be placed on the firing line with the action open when not in use. There are many arguments people could make for and against "open carry". I fell that a qualified person should have the right to choose how they want to carry.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Bottom line is it is our RIGHT no matter if we do it or not!

Snow Bird

Master
    The only thing I have aginst open carry is we don't have eyes in the back of our heads. Gives a bad guy the chance to cold cock you and take your gun . BUT if you want to fine but it brings to much attention to a person in my mind.

JBryan314

Master
    The only thing I have aginst open carry is we don't have eyes in the back of our heads. Gives a bad guy the chance to cold cock you and take your gun . BUT if you want to fine but it brings to much attention to a person in my mind.

Anyone can cold cock you from behind for any reason. One thing though, I'd avoid punching someone who has a gun. Most people won't go straight unconscious from one hit. Once that happens, you're up against someone you just punched, and they're armed.

Snow Bird

Master
    I understand that but remember when it was the think to come up to people on the street and bash them and knock them out. Not trying to argue but it would be to damn easy to get a hoster pulled out from behind if it is in a kydex hoster......Very few people know anything about gun retention in the real world and probably not 1 in 100 have had any training.
    Think about the movement you make every day that your arm is away from your gun when you carry covered...I still say go for it if you want to but at the least it should be in some kind of retention hoster.

Top Bottom