How is Open Carry coming along in Florida?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbulls

Marksman
    Bottom line is it is our RIGHT no matter if we do it or not!
    This is the only reason that matters. Its our right to carry, period. Conceal carry in Florida, and any other state that requires a "permit", is a privelage, not a right. If it were a right no permit, and no money paid to the state, would be needed to exercise that right. We pay them to "allow" us to have the perception of gun rights in this state.

Clay

Master
    Any particular reason? Other than comfort, I don't think I get it, but I'm open and excited to hear some points. I also don't feel it's exercised much where it IS legal, so what's the benefit? Obviously, I'm not opposed to it, but I don't see much benefit, at least personally since I mostly carry owb, and anyone else can as well, in fact I've turned a couple of forum members onto it. I respect other's opinions and I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm honestly just curious to see what fuels James and others on the subject. Thanks.

I grew up with open carry. It is exercised regularly and where I lived( both outside Philly and in rural areas of PA/NY) it was just a fact of life, as it is in the other 44 states that have open carry. Open carry is getting more attention by the media and becoming more common place due to it's normalization, which is related to the increase in those exercising the right to do so. Florida is one of SIX (6) states that doesn't allow open carry and these 140 year-old laws, which are grounded in post-civil-war-thinking, were put in place because people were afraid of armed ex-slaves and ex-confederate soldiers.

It's an antique law in a modern time. I understand the hesitancy by anyone that never lived among open carry, but these imaginative scenarios that always come up, where are these acts of targeted violence on open carry citizens in the other 44 states? I would challenge anyone to find 20 of these crimes in the last 20 years, where open carry citizens were targeted bc of carrying. As of 2013, a study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans now have permits to carry concealed weapons, up from 4.5 million in 2007. The 146 percent increase has come even as both murder and violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

I have worked extensively providing behavioral counseling to the incarcerated for almost ten years, including murderers and sexual offenders. The last 'accused' murderer I worked with was Jamal Lee, the kid who shot up the Burger King in Pcola murdering a kid and wounding another. I have yet to meet one that wants to do anything the harder way. They are going to pass by the armed and target easier prey. They are not looking for a fight and having more openly armed folks in ordinary places has a preventative effect.

Most of us on here are prepared for SHTF and clearly things aren't getting better in the US, crime rate dropping or not, these are violent times. We worry of civil unrest and threats such as ISIS on American soil. Would you not want those intending to due harm to our way of life to know you are going to fight back? I look at countries like Israel where being armed is not just a right, but an expectation and admire these people for their attempt to police themselves and protect their way of life. They also require 2 years of military service for all while we provide living assistance and food stamps to those who can't contribute to society. Clearly different ideologies going on here....

I'm excited to see what happens in the future in Texas and FL.

THE UNKOWN IS ALWAYS MUCH SCARIER THAN REALITY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand that but remember when it was the think to come up to people on the street and bash them and knock them out. Not trying to argue but it would be to damn easy to get a hoster pulled out from behind if it is in a kydex hoster......Very few people know anything about gun retention in the real world and probably not 1 in 100 have had any training.
    Think about the movement you make every day that your arm is away from your gun when you carry covered...I still say go for it if you want to but at the least it should be in some kind of retention hoster.

This I agree with 100%.

This is one reason I use a top-break holster. The other is because I carried cocked and locked.

Snow Bird

Master
    Tacklebearry,That is what I was talking about...Clay we had open carry in MO and they may still have it but the only time you ever saw it was during hunting season and then only a few did it. Maybe FL will get it and in these times we will have to see how the public handles it.

I am suprised that TX dosen't already have it. Well at least there Govener will sign it when it gets passed.

Viking1204

Master
    Any particular reason? Other than comfort, I don't think I get it, but I'm open and excited to hear some points. I also don't feel it's exercised much where it IS legal, so what's the benefit? Obviously, I'm not opposed to it, but I don't see much benefit, at least personally since I mostly carry owb, and anyone else can as well, in fact I've turned a couple of forum members onto it. I respect other's opinions and I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm honestly just curious to see what fuels James and others on the subject. Thanks.

What is carry owb?

Dan1612

Master
    What is carry owb?
    Outside the waistband.
    If you wear your shirts or even t-shirts untucked, a well made, high and tight holster will allow you to carry up to a full size pistol very very comfortably since you're not having to stuff anything into your pants. Whenever possible, it's the only way to go IMO.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Outside the waistband.
    If you wear your shirts or even t-shirts untucked, a well made, high and tight holster will allow you to carry up to a full size pistol very very comfortably since you're not having to stuff anything into your pants. Whenever possible, it's the only way to go IMO.

Do you have any recommendations for a well made high and tight holster? I'd like to pick one up for my Ruger LC9.

Dan1612

Master
    Something like this, there are tons of them out there. The two critical dimensions are how low it goes below the belt line and how wide it is. That little gun will completely disappear. I like guns of that size in a pocket holster, but owb will be much more comfortable.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419357347.463350.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419357347.463350.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419357347.463350.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 174

JBryan314

Master
    I understand that but remember when it was the think to come up to people on the street and bash them and knock them out. Not trying to argue but it would be to damn easy to get a hoster pulled out from behind if it is in a kydex hoster......Very few people know anything about gun retention in the real world and probably not 1 in 100 have had any training.
    Think about the movement you make every day that your arm is away from your gun when you carry covered...I still say go for it if you want to but at the least it should be in some kind of retention hoster.

Ok, Snow, got a question for you. I use this sort of tactic when arguing with libs, but this a situation where I can use it here.

You've asserted a specific problem you see with open carry. So answer me this: In the many states that allow open carry, is the problem you've pointed out occurring often? Is it occurring occasionally? Heck, is it happening at all? These occurrences would be a felony, and would be reported. So are open carriers having their guns pulled away at a statistically significant rate? The answer is no. It's not happening. Almost never does an open carrier have someone walk up on them and either punch them out or pull their weapon from the holster.

Also, rarely (or maybe never) is an open carrier shot immediately during a robbery of a gas station or similar business. These arguments used against open carry are based on scenarios that have no statistically significant precedence .

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    You carry in the open if you want to. I have nothing aginst it for someone else they can have at it. I just don't that much attention brought to me and even take the chance someone in these time would try to grab my gun,or shoot at me first.

I haven't checked it out but someone told me that AL has open carry and you are more than welcome to carry in the open the next time you are over here. Exersize your right by all means.

Dan1612

Master
    Not that it's much of a concern for me, but I have heard of cops having their guns taken and used against them. I probably wouldn't open carry much, but at least when I would do so, I'd have an excuse to use my ivory grips. Hackathorn style. Lol.

Snow Bird

Master
    Ditto on cops haveing there guns taken away from them. Thats one reason my son has gotten training on firearm retinton(SP) He is a guard in a state prison...Dan you are to DAM BIG for someone to try to take your gun.LOL

Seanpcola

I'm not an OC kind of guy, but the infringement of denial pisses me off. However, it would give me a reason to buy an El Paso Saddlery rig for my stag handled model 58.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I agree about the infringement issue too. The day my CC permit came in the mail I sat down and thought about what it really was about. It suddenly occurred to me that I paid good money and jumped through hoops to exercise a right. Pissed me off when I finally woke up.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I am an open carry kind of guy. I can't really conceal anything bigger than a shield on me. I would like the option to carry something like the Glock 19 and open carry would make it absolutely comfortable. Also have we thought about how much easier and more comfortable it would be for a woman to carry open vs concealed. We all know that sometimes as a man our wardrobe has to contore to the pistol well think about a woman if they don't like it they would probably leave the gun behind so they can still look pretty and plus restricting it is an INFRINGEMENT ON MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT!!!!!!!! And everyone that argues people will take your gun etc. Get something like a level 3 retention holster.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Retention hoster is what I said a long time back if you want to carry open.

Top Bottom