How is Open Carry coming along in Florida?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    It suddenly occurred to me that I paid good money and jumped through hoops to exercise a right. Pissed me off when I finally woke up.

Exactly, tell some of those anti-gun idiots that in order to use their right to free speech that they need to be finger printed, have a background check completed and pay a fee and their heads would explode; the same thing would happen if you told them that was the requirement to vote as well.

Brandon_SPC

Master

jmfillin1

Expert
    In response to several replies on here, ive come to realize that larger guys can conceal full size guns a lot easier than smaller guys. I myself am a smaller guy and have had complications carrying even an lcp and beretta tomcat. I have heard to people getting arrested for "imprinting" (or carring a gun concealed but in tighter clothing revealing the weapons bumps/lines through the clothing itself). I am unclear on weather or not "imprinting" falls under the "brief display of the firearm" clause in the new statute. (a statute which makes a lot of sense, especially when reaching up on shelves in stores or bending over to tie your shoe in public). I was in georgia recently (who can apparently open carry) and talked with a guy (with a 1911 in open carry) about the benefits of it. He basically said that the comfort is the main perk and the quick access to it.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    yeah the immediate access to your weapon especially when surprised will be a huge asset.

Yesterday, I sent Sen. Greg Evers a request to introduce legislation for an "open carry" law again and urged him to support and defend it. Last time around, he caved in to the changes and failed to give a hard fight in support of it. Hopefully, he will re-introduce this legislation and it will pass this time. There are many Floridians that have their CWL and want this to be an option for them. I guess that we now wait to see if anything gets done. I wrote four others requesting the same thing and have had no response from any of them.

ccc

Master
    I personally will never open carry. I have said this time and time again you are asking to be targeted if someone sees a weapon on you, it is NOT a deterrent !!!!! Have you seen any videos of the "Knockout Game" ????? Bad guy is walking towards you and sees a gun he might like to have as he passes you he blindsides you with a HAYMAKER you are now unconscious and bad guy now has your weapon. Nope, I will keep mine where no one knows I have it thank you very much.

You could also be unarmed and the same thing happen. I am a firm believer of situational awareness. Always be aware of your surroundings. I listen out for the slightest things and keep my eyes peeled on what is going on around me.

ccc

Master
    You could also be unarmed and the same thing happen. I am a firm believer of situational awareness. Always be aware of your surroundings. I listen out for the slightest things and keep my eyes peeled on what is going on around me.

Sure you could. but more so when there is 5 crisp hundred dollar bills tucked in a holster for the bad guy to see. I am not against the law of open carry, it is not for me, I don't see the point I carry a gun daily, I don't need to show it off.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I think if it passes I will carry both ways, on the way to the lease and things like that I will open carry for the gas station and corner store, going out at night or maybe to a Target I will conceal...just depends on how I feel that day. I do think we should have the right no matter if you use it or not.

bigbulls

Marksman
    I personally will never open carry. I have said this time and time again you are asking to be targeted if someone sees a weapon on you, it is NOT a deterrent !!!!! Have you seen any videos of the "Knockout Game" ????? Bad guy is walking towards you and sees a gun he might like to have as he passes you he blindsides you with a HAYMAKER you are now unconscious and bad guy now has your weapon. Nope, I will keep mine where no one knows I have it thank you very much.
    I appreciate that you would support the passing of an open carry law but the things that you are worried about just never seem to materialize. If you, or any one for that matter, could provide us any evidence that supports this theory I might change my outlook on OC. I have searched and searched and have yet to come up with anything that supports the theory of someone OCing making themselves a target.

Personally, I would love the option of being able to OC. It is soooo much more comfortable and sooo much easier to dress with out having to worry about concealing a firearm.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    I appreciate that you would support the passing of an open carry law but the things that you are worried about just never seem to materialize. If you, or any one for that matter, could provide us any evidence that supports this theory I might change my outlook on OC. I have searched and searched and have yet to come up with anything that supports the theory of someone OCing making themselves a target.

Personally, I would love the option of being able to OC. It is soooo much more comfortable and sooo much easier to dress with out having to worry about concealing a firearm.

I support open carry even though I have no plans to open carry.

Something tells me that this guy isn't the only one this has ever happened to...

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

ccc

Master
    Is your research based on info BEFORE or after the "Knockout" game, and before the Ferguson riots and so on, THE WORLD HAS CHANGED RECENTLY !

JBryan314

Master
    Is your research based on info BEFORE or after the "Knockout" game, and before the Ferguson riots and so on, THE WORLD HAS CHANGED RECENTLY !

If you'd do some research you'd see that no one who has been a victim of the knockout game was open carrying. No one. And no, the world has not changed recently. The LA riots made Ferguson look like daycare.

The people who worry about becoming a target of violence by openly carrying are worrying about something THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN AT A STATISICALLY SIGNIFICANT RATE in ANY of the 40+ states that allow open carry. If you don't want to OC, that's ok. But stop giving these BS reasons for why people shouldn't. It's no different than the liberals saying they don't think concealed carry is useful. Both arguments go the same way. They make up a bunch of ridiculous scenarios that ARE NOT HAPPENING and then claim that they're going to happen if we allow it. It's a ridiculous argument.

I didn't really want to have this "is OC useful" discussion. I really just wanted to see if Florida was making progress toward OC. It seems Florida is not doing anything at the moment. Disappointing.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator

The knockout game started in 1992 and Ferguson was in August and then again in November 2014; the incident I posted was in Oct 2014.
    There is no accurate way of researching things like this and coming to any conclusion other than "it depends" because they aren't tracked and cataloged anyplace. Just like it's impossible to research how often the presence of a gun stops a crime before it happens. It's all anecdotal evidence, conjecture, a bit of educated guess work and voodoo. I would seriously question the credibility of anyone who says they can definitively answer a question like "how often do open carry guns prevent a crime before it happens".
    Everyone has to make their own choice based on what they think is right for them and their lifestyle.

Top Bottom