Hunting, Cold bore, cold shooter, clean bore.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Snake-Eyes, do you remember that "cold-bore" shot you made at my place with that Ruger #1? Easy sale when the buyer hits the bulls-eye.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I have always bench sighted in before season, and have always hit deer where I aimed, cold bore or not.

Same... each year I'll throw a couple down range to make sure I'm on and I've hit where I aimed.

At the end of the season, I'll run a patch down the barrel and that's it.

Same for my precision rigs, can't tell you the last time I did a real cleaning.

While I'm no longer an operational SWAT sniper, I believe my data book showed about 400ish rounds between cleanings. The Rem 700 LTR I was issued, which I still have and carry on duty, exhibited no distinct CB oddities. I've posted numerous 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups on here before... for an out of the box factory rifle it's shoots extremely well.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    The snipers I know all clean their bores and then fire a fouling shot. I’ve never been much of a rifle guy, so I can’t say I’m an expert or anything. I just know what the guys I know personally do.
    Shoot slightly durdy is indeed a thing... always put a round or 2 through before you put it away.

RaySendero

Shooter
    I have always bench sighted in before season, and have always hit deer where I aimed, cold bore or not.

Me too.
    But my experience has been that clean bore flyers are much worse than cold bore flyers.
    And some get them confused calling clean bore flyers "cold bore flyers".
    I won't hunt (or compete) with a clean bore in my rifles.
    I do like you do. Sight-in and bore isn't cleaned thru the hunting season.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    using liquid lock ease can bring those so called flyers in a bit...once the liquid dries it leaves the graphite and simulate fouling.

if you shoot a shot...go home and clean the barrel...then go back the next day at the same time in similar conditions...and fire another round in that same hole...then do the same a few days running...that is called Cold Clean Bore...if it hit in a different spot every day you got clean bore flyers ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom