Hurlburt losing Special Operations Command?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    After decades, I could be full of @#$%, but what is being discussed is Base Realignment And Closure (BRAC). BTDT. BRAC is a years-long effort that encompasses all of DoD. In this particular instance, what our "representatives" really (eventually) will care about is constituents/voters. @#$% me over with the promise of going to some @#$%hole, and think you deserve a "vote?"

This is nothing more than the past desires of the recently departed AFSOC commander with a Napoleon complex and a bias against masculinity/ white males. Same guy involved in another scandal where he personally ensured an incapable female "completed" training she couldn't complete. Name rhyms with strife...

BRAC-wise, yeah, we'll see. IMO, Eglin has acres of unused space, and thousands of square feet of relatively new facilities. 2/3 of the F35 force they planned/built for went elsewhere. They built it, they didn't come, and they know you civilians can't get inside the gate, or see past the trees/"natural" environment we've preserved to give our airmen better quality of life. I'll have to refer you to our public affairs officer...

As has been discussed for decades, move the 96th TW to Edwards AFB. Leave the climatic lab alone. Edwards will allow you to test your @#$ and no one but the jack rabbits and coyotes will GAS. You can move the F35s out there, too. Anyone else note they are now required to "fly" higher, and on specified routes, for the tourists/county commissioners' businesses? Use all that freed-up space for the AFSOC aviation assets procured knowing damn well they could never be parked " back home." There's something else to ask that anti-masculinity/white male "general" about, and the guy before him...

Again. You would think our "representatives" would know WTF, but their preferred course of action is to ask the offenders if they committed the offense, and accept any answer, because the XXX has another appointment/flight to catch :rolleyes:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    i heard 700-900 souls moving to DM...but the main force remains

IronBeard

Master
    DM has been an option for over a year. Never mind the morale, family, and social problems at Cannon, to the point people get out and/or retire (if they can) rather than go there. At one time, Cannon was so distasteful, people who had follow-on assignments back to Hurlburt, and who were also up for promotion, were routinely diverted to Cannon. We need you there. Gotcha.

So yeah, let's send 'em to DM, 'cause it's just like Cannon, but Arizona. :rolleyes:What we really need is a base/training environment similar to eastern europe/china. But sure, let's have another desert base. Maybe china/russia will agree to meet us in afghanistan so we don't have to damage our own countries...

5lima30ret

Master
    Another thing the morons in DC don't take into consideration is water ops. Not much water at DM to do that! When I was stationed at Hurlburt in the 80's in the 20th SOS we did a lot of water ops shooting targets in the Gulf and deploying CCT teams with their rubber boats at 10' and 10 knots. The 16th SOS AC-130 gunships used the water ranges as well. I don't see this proposed moved as increasing their combat readiness at all!

IronBeard

Master
    Another thing the morons in DC don't take into consideration is water ops. Not much water at DM to do that! When I was stationed at Hurlburt in the 80's in the 20th SOS we did a lot of water ops shooting targets in the Gulf and deploying CCT teams with their rubber boats at 10' and 10 knots. The 16th SOS AC-130 gunships used the water ranges as well. I don't see this proposed moved as increasing their combat readiness at all!
    Base pool? :cool:

IronBeard

Master
    i heard 700-900 souls moving to DM...but the main force remains
    More info coming out. Not a fan of the publication, but this pretty much supports those numbers. However, some units mentioned belong to the 24 SOW, conveniently not mentioned. You would think our "representatives" would want to know why the most decorated AF unit since Viet Nam is being covertly disassembled...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    More info coming out. Not a fan of the publication, but this pretty much supports those numbers. However, some units mentioned belong to the 24 SOW, conveniently not mentioned. You would think our "representatives" would want to know why the most decorated AF unit since Viet Nam is being covertly disassembled...

i cringe every time i hear a stuffed suit say; reimagine

RHINOWSO

Master
    USAF wants more money, time to move things around the chessboard. Only really happy people about this will be the -130 unit from Cannon moving to DM!!!!

IronBeard

Master
    i cringe every time i hear a stuffed suit say; reimagine
    That stuffed suit that authored "reimagine" has three stars on its shoulders, and now sits at HQAF. More likely to move up than not, 'cause what/who else is there to choose from?

IMO, why morale and enlistments/commissions continue to decline.

IronBeard

Master
    USAF wants more money, time to move things around the chessboard. Only really happy people about this will be the -130 unit from Cannon moving to DM!!!!
    Yeah. Moving from cattle country hell in the desert to mezcan gang land in the desert ought to increase moral exponentially.

The AF already has a place to bank/hide equipment, money, and manpower. It's called the AF Reserve.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    morale? we don't need no stinking morale...

RHINOWSO

Master
    Yeah. Moving from cattle country hell in the desert to mezcan gang land in the desert ought to increase moral exponentially.

The AF already has a place to bank/hide equipment, money, and manpower. It's called the AF Reserve.
    Worked at both places; would take AZ anytime over cowcrap-ville.

Also funny that the USAF will have a COIN-ISR-Strike aircraft (OA-1K) 22 years after the start of the GWOT and several years after AFG / IRQ have wrapped up...

That is gov't processes at its finest. Could have fielded something within 3-5 years, take 20 years when it is no longer needed.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter

“Special Forces” (SF) are Green Berets. ARMY.

“Special Operations Forces” (SOF) could be anyone in the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

“Air Force Special Operations Command” (AFSOC) is simultaneously a Major Command in the US Air Force and a component of USSOCOM.

Referring to SOF as SF is incorrect. When it’s done by someone who should know better in a “news” piece, it’s annoying and disappointing.

Edit to summarize:
    Hurlburt Field is home to AFSOC, made up of SOF, not SF.
    7th group has a compound out there too...

Snake-Eyes

Master
    7th group has a compound out there too...

They have their own playground, but yes, there are many players on Hurlburt at any given time.

It’s not something to get worked up about.

It just irks when it’s an “official” in an interview, AND it gets through the oh-so-strenuous “fact-checking” editor to be printed as a “news” piece without any kind of explanation of the speaker’s error.

Potato tomato.

IronBeard

Master
    Worked at both places; would take AZ anytime over cowcrap-ville.

Also funny that the USAF will have a COIN-ISR-Strike aircraft (OA-1K) 22 years after the start of the GWOT and several years after AFG / IRQ have wrapped up...

That is gov't processes at its finest. Could have fielded something within 3-5 years, take 20 years when it is no longer needed.
    Could have just upgraded the A10. Just like we could have used the F18 across services while the F35 was developed/perfected; still could. But, there are major defense contractors that demand a certain and steady level of business. Eisenhower warned about this, and that spelled the end of his tenure.

Top Bottom