• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Did not make it, but gotta share to give a shout out for our favorite Japanese place. Ichiban on North Davis. Never had a bad meal there, always delicious and the best egg drop soup either of us have ever had! http://ichibanpensacola.com/
    20150103_175144_resized.jpg

This was after the egg drop soup (hey, I was hungry!) and before the Shrimp California roll arrived. Ummmm, good.

Attachments

• 20150103_175144_resized.jpg
      20150103_175144_resized.jpg
      363.1 KB · Views: 268

RackinRay

Master
    My wife loves gumbo. She is still upset that Jerry's closed, she liked their gumbo.

Dan1612

Master
    My wife loves gumbo. She is still upset that Jerry's closed, she liked their gumbo.
    If you're open to it, I'll bring you 2 bowls next time my wife makes some. It is hands down, the best in the world IMO. People have been telling her to enter contests for 15 years. Really, the secret is in a good shrimp head broth and the perfect color roux, both of which take patience, and I feel restaurants, even The Gumbo shop, rush.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    That is a cool offer Dan,, but afraid that will make her want me to learn how to cook it and I am not into it that much! Thanks though!

Dan1612

Master
    Honestly, if I hadn't sworn off food service, we'd have a restaurant. We are working on a cookbook though.

John B.

Master
    172084172e3f23adf46134350720fbb3.jpg

Jalapeño cream cheese stuffed backstrap, wrapped in Wright bacon.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

John B.

Master
    Did not make it, but gotta share to give a shout out for our favorite Japanese place. Ichiban on North Davis. Never had a bad meal there, always delicious and the best egg drop soup either of us have ever had! http://ichibanpensacola.com/
    View attachment 27190

This was after the egg drop soup (hey, I was hungry!) and before the Shrimp California roll arrived. Ummmm, good.
    They have the best sushi in NW Florida.

Clay

Master
    I agree, but you'd be surprised at the garbage served in some restaurants.

Dan I have freezer bags full of shrimp stock for snapper and regular gumbo , Tom Yum soup, crab chowder and to reduce down in many sauces for seafood dishes. It is the 'secret' in IMO. It's a waste to just toss the heads, that's where all the flavor is and shrimp stock is easy to make. I suck the shrimp heads after making the stock and it's like candy, try it if ya never have.

Dan1612

Master
    Yep, in the freezer, we have some shrimp heads saved just in case there's no head-on shrimp at Maria's, and some crawfish heads for when we want étouffée and live crawfish isn't available so we have to use cleaned tail meat. It's all in the broth, you have to season it, and you can't rush it.

Never have made Tom yum, but we love it. I'll try soon. Thanks for the idea!

Django

Master
    I made ham bone (saved from the Christmas ham I made) soup stock last night. Soaked the beans over night and simmered for about 4 hours today with some carrots, onions and seasoning. Turned out great! I love homemade soup and stock but it takes along time.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    I made ham bone (saved from the Christmas ham I made) soup stock last night. Soaked the beans over night and simmered for about 4 hours today with some carrots, onions and seasoning. Turned out great! I love homemade soup and stock but it takes along time.

I did something similar, with the exact same ingredients. But it was split Pea soup with sour kraut. Good Stuff!!! Don't let the good eating go to waste!!

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Bacon wrapped mozzarella stuffed meatloaf. Picture is pre cooked. Soon to come post cooked..

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_183316_930.jpg
      IMG_20150219_183316_930.jpg
      197.8 KB · Views: 180

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Way to good.. A tip if anyone tries this, be sure to decant the grease two or three times while cooking, and roll the bacon instead of wrapping it that way it doesn't sit in any grease that get cooked out, makes for a way better flavor and crispy bacon texture. they don't tell you this in the original recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_201259_381.jpg
      IMG_20150219_201259_381.jpg
      310.5 KB · Views: 174
    • IMG_20150219_201537_530.jpg
      IMG_20150219_201537_530.jpg
      283.4 KB · Views: 168
    Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Way to good.. A tip if anyone tries this, be sure to decant the grease two or three times while cooking, makes for a way better flavor and crispy bacon texture. they don't tell you this in the original recipe.
    Looks good! What I would recommend is putting it on a rack above the dish so it's not sitting in the grease. Also, mozzarella is a naturally moist cheese so it loses a lot of water as it cooks. Then turn the oven on to broil for the last 2 minutes to crisp that bacon up!

Top Bottom