• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I like a little more magnification when shooting out to 400. The Athlons are great and they have a good selection in your price range. Also take a look at the Primary Arms 4-14x44, its available with a mil-dot reticle and turrets so you have the option of dialing or using the reticle for hold over. The glass is surprisingly clear for the price, there's lots of reviews and articles out there on them and they are in stock.
    The only issue I have with PA stuff is the crap one year warranty. Rough as iam I might need it.

Raven

Master
    Yep, looks like 50 or so. No more nikon, which sucks cause I always thought they were pretty damm good. 3x9 probably just fine for deer and stuff.
    I'm sure you could call around and find a "New, Old Stock" Nikon with a 308 BDC. It hasn't been that long since they went out of business

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Next issue...First focal plane or 2nd?? Wth? Been reading and I'm as confused as a baby at a topless bar! I want the drop marks to be the same range at 4x or 10x

850guns

Master
    As much as you shoot, and if you know your gun, ffp is not necessary.
    But if you want your marks to scale with the zoom, ffp is the only way to go (besides a fixed power?) Look at Vector diamond back. I bought one a while back because I liked the retical, features and price. But it's not mounted yet for a true opinion...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    As much as you shoot, and if you know your gun, ffp is not necessary.
    But if you want your marks to scale with the zoom, ffp is the only way to go (besides a fixed power?) Look at Vector diamond back. I bought one a while back because I liked the retical, features and price. But it's not mounted yet for a true opinion...
    Yeah, sometimes I'm fooling with the zoom looking at things, red birds,, baby deer, squirrels. Your right though, lots of shooting before hand makes a difference. Maybe a fixed optic with drop marks might be better ( takes my fiddling out of the equation)

850guns

Master
    Yeah, sometimes I'm fooling with the zoom looking at things, red birds,, baby deer, squirrels. Your right though, lots of shooting before hand makes a difference. Maybe a fixed optic might be better ( takes my fiddling out of the equation)
    But it sounds like you like fiddling. I say go for a ffp scope. Im new to scopes, but i know what i like and dont like. I think my ffp diamondback is a 4-16. not too much and not to little, clear glass, plenty of light and awesome retical. I'll look at it tonight and snap some pics for you.

FLT

Master
    Rebel, scopes are somewhat like religion. Folks believe what they want to believe and nothing is going to change their minds. That said I’ve gone down the rabbit hole a few times and spent more money than a damn scope could ever be worth. I’m sure there was some improvement as the money went through the roof , but in reality those scopes weren’t 10 times better than the scopes they replaced. Maybe 5 or 10 percent at best. I’m a casual target shooter and hunter , the longest range I shoot is around 430 yards ( that’s how far it is across my biggest field) and that doesn’t happen very often. My food plot is 190 yards at its longest point from my stand , most of my shots at a game are about half that . I’ve been happy with leupold scopes for many years , I have a old 7.5 fixed power scope that’s so old the black color has turned purple and it still holds zero like it was new. In all the years using them ,I’ve had two that needed repairs one was my fault, I managed to drop it about 40 feet down a steep hill and cracked the front lens they replace the lens and re sealed the scope and if memory serves me right I paid shipping and nothing else. The other one was an early variable power scope and it just got cloudy ,they repaired it and sent it back to me free of charge. In a little of 50 years that’s a very small failure rate. LOL , all that to say in my opinion you can’t go to far wrong with leupold scopes.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Yeah, sometimes I'm fooling with the zoom looking at things, red birds,, baby deer, squirrels. Your right though, lots of shooting before hand makes a difference. Maybe a fixed optic with drop marks might be better ( takes my fiddling out of the equation)
    Fixed power with a reflex on top would work great. A lot of manufacturers make something like this. Here's Burris's railed rings that will take anything Picatinny, and also the Burris FastFire, that bolts onto any scope tube that's already mounted, with it's own plate system. Some people offset to the side, too, so you dont lose the cheek weld
    Screenshot_20210622-152931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-153314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-153324_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-153222_Chrome.jpg

Raven

Master
    Rebel, scopes are somewhat like religion. Folks believe what they want to believe and nothing is going to change their minds. That said I’ve gone down the rabbit hole a few times and spent more money than a damn scope could ever be worth. I’m sure there was some improvement as the money went through the roof , but in reality those scopes weren’t 10 times better than the scopes they replaced. Maybe 5 or 10 percent at best. I’m a casual target shooter and hunter , the longest range I shoot is around 430 yards ( that’s how far it is across my biggest field) and that doesn’t happen very often. My food plot is 190 yards at its longest point from my stand , most of my shots at a game are about half that . I’ve been happy with leupold scopes for many years , I have a old 7.5 fixed power scope that’s so old the black color has turned purple and it still holds zero like it was new. In all the years use them ,I’ve had two that needed repairs one was my fault, I managed to drop it about 40 feet down a steep hill and cracked the front lens they replace the lens and re sealed the scope and if memory serves me right I paid shipping and nothing else. The other one was an early variable power scope and it just got cloudy ,they repaired it and sent it back to me free of charge. In a little of 50 years that’s a very small failure rate. LOL , all that to say in my opinion you can’t go to far wrong with leupold scopes.
    Leupold is awesome quality for the money. My favorite reddot of all time is a Redfield dot/laser combo that is discontinued. I went to research it looking for more and found out it is a Leupold product. Go figure. Found a backup, same make and model, about a year later, in a pawnshop without a scratch on it, for $100. Never quit looking, because you never know what you might find

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Buy the cheapest stuff you can find cause you are not gonna hit what you are shooting at anyway...leave that to your wife!

.22 cents

Master
    Buy the cheapest stuff you can find cause you are not gonna hit what you are shooting at anyway...leave that to your wife!
    Calling all cars, calling all cars...shots fired shots fired

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    it is OK 22 cents, he will MISS

.22 cents

Master

Attachments

• 9565618B-ADEC-4562-B78A-F7D92398A940.jpeg
      9565618B-ADEC-4562-B78A-F7D92398A940.jpeg
      36.6 KB · Views: 133

.22 cents

Master

Pretty good deal. A shooter at the range let me try it. Crystal clear. Id get this if i were looking for a scope. Bushnell Forge

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer

850guns

Master
    But it sounds like you like fiddling. I say go for a ffp scope. Im new to scopes, but i know what i like and dont like. I think my ffp diamondback is a 4-16. not too much and not to little, clear glass, plenty of light and awesome retical. I'll look at it tonight and snap some pics for you.
    I am taking a look at it now. Still impressed! Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-16x44. EBR-2C MOA Retical. Comes with a small pamphlet on the reticle. Wow! I bought this for my 20" 308. I really need to button up this project. But if you need specs or other info let me know. I bought it at the local gun show. Sticker says $350 but I got a cash discount. I know you shoot many calibers. If you buy a caliber specific scope, you will limit the scope to that caliber.

1/4 click moa, 14" length, 23.1oz, 3.8" eye relief!

Raven

Master

Raven

Master
    There you go, the proof! Or last deer season LOL
    Just wait until Mr. "In The Army Now" ups the volume with some real fire support :) wont anybody be any laughing then! If only in my dreams! I miss the glory days. Best time ever deer hunting was when we were doing night training on the known distance range and, I kid you not, we had a deer run across a hot range! All you could see was like 100 M16A2's switching to burst in a cone-shaped hail of tracers! Hahaha those were the days. For the record, I sat back and laughed and did not partake. By the time I looked across the range and realized what everybody was shooting at, the deed was done

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-235336_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210622-235336_Chrome.jpg
      385 KB · Views: 105
    • Screenshot_20210622-235254_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210622-235254_Chrome.jpg
      426.2 KB · Views: 112
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom