• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Junky

Master
    It's hard to say for sure by the pic. The lip of the case mouth that is just brass and no sharpie looks to be bottoming out on the chamber pretty hard almost looking the be a headspace issue in the barrel itself, but I would need to look at it all my self and get some good measurements on everything.

wildrider666

Master
    a. Did you index dot the base and set dot at top. So we know where the rubs are? As in where the big ding in the case is in relation to the barrel.

b. Did you force the slide to close?

c. Was this round placed in the chamber and then the slide to close and extractor snap over the rim? Did it fully seat?

d. The .45APC does not have a rim and head spaces on the case mouth. Some bullets have a canelure groove that the case mouth is crimped into. The hornady may be heavy crimped and therefore allow further forward seating of that round.

Doradohunter

Shooter
    No I did not index the round. Yes I forced the slide closed. I chambered it from the mag, I was tol never to chamber a round by placing it in the chamber and letting the extractor over the rim. The hornady is heavily crimped and has a smoother case lip than the ball ammo and is what I believe to be causing the hangups on the ball ammo

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Based on your last two posts: your chamber is not cut deep enough. The measurement you need is from the bolt face of the slide to the end of the chamber where the case mouth is made to stop. This is called head space your min is .898 and max is .092. It seems yours is shorter then the min spec. A go-no go gauge will answer the question for sure.

It would be very unlikely that yours is the only one as it is a production run item. Being there should be more then just yours the MFG may well be aware of it. On the down side ATI 1911 are made by a company in the PI that makes 1911 under several names. Your barrel problem may be spread loaded across several manufactures, distributed world wide and never get the high visibility and attention it needs. For the factory to repair it they would need the whole gun. With the mod you have done the may say your warranty is void. You may be able to put in all the orig parts if you have not done to much file fitting on the gun. Is your barrel serialized to match the gun?

Far flung question: The barrel is marked .45APC and not 45 Auto Match .45GAP, or .45 Short right?

SAMI specs:

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/45 Automatic.pdf

1911Junky

Master
    I agree with wildrider666. If manufacturer will not warranty it, buy a new barrel and take to a competent smith....not the one you already used and have them fit it.

Or start reloading, trim the cases to .888, taper crimp and they should chamber just fine.

CCHGN

Banned
    Like I said from the beginning.....have 'old' barrel checked with go-no go gauges (and then reamed) or replace with new( better) barrel. I'd still contact mfg and see if they'll take it and fix it( it is a mfg defect). They should. I've even made S&W fix a revolver even after I had it machined for moonclips.

Ric-san

Master
    Damn good info here...how did this turn out after all...???

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom