• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    I’m going fishing in Alaska and not quite sure what to take for bear protection.
    I’ve got a couple of 44 mags but they are long barrels plus I don’t want to subject them to water.
    I’m thinking maybe a Ruger Alaskan or possibly some other 3” or 4” barrel stainless 44.
    A Glock 20 10mm might even be a possibility.
    If you have something that might fit the bill, run it by me.
    I don’t really want to get into the super calibers like 454 Casull or 480 Ruger because I wouldn’t have any use for it after this trip.
    I’m not going until August so I have plenty of time to look around.

FowlHunter13

Master
    I was either carrying my .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk or my Remington Marine Magnum 12 gauge. I started off with a Ruger Redhawk in .44 but felt a little under gunned on Kodiak where I was stationed. Chances are you will never need it so either the 44 or 10mm will serve the purpose well.

Welldoya

Master
    I was either carrying my .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk or my Remington Marine Magnum 12 gauge. I started off with a Ruger Redhawk in .44 but felt a little under gunned on Kodiak where I was stationed. Chances are you will never need it so either the 44 or 10mm will serve the purpose well.

Thanks for the advice. I didn’t realize there was a military installation on Kodiak Island.
    I would love to carry a short 12 gauge but I’m gonna be in waders fishing in a river.
    I was reading that a lot of Alaskans are carrying a Glock 20, then I read that the .357 is actually a little more powerful that the 10mm. But then, the Glock carries 3 times the ammo.
    This is all new to me so I’m trying to learn.

NavCorman

Master
    I’ve read that guides in Alaska are fond of the 10mm with proper bullet selection . Buffalo Bore WFNGC , Underwood XP ( Extreme Penetrator) or Federal Fusion Bond . I’ve shot the Underwood and Federal Fusion ( a hunting round) out of my G 20 into a Oak tree stump about 3 ft. diameter . Impressive entrance and bullet performances. I’ve never had to shoot a Kodiak, Polar , or Grizzly bear or any bear with a firearm , but I do feel confident in defending myself with bear around here with it if I had to .

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    You don't need a gun, just a partner you can outrun!
    True story; I went to highschool in Anchorage, salmon fishing on the Russian river my brother and I spot a big brown on the other side coming to see if we had caught his lunch yet. As I'm quickly gathering my gear I inform bro that my legs are longer, he better make haste or be left behind. I did have a desire to become a true "sourdough", unfortunately the 3rd requirement was to kill a grizzly, I got the 1st 2 covered

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Check out the 460 Rowland 45 conversions. They do a couple different platforms. I know the FN 45 to 460 conversion even looks awesome as heck. It brings the power of 44 mag into a semi auto. I'm tempted to convert an FNP 45 Tactical I have into it. Not because I need it, just for the cool factor alone lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320_184244_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20230320_184244_Chrome.jpg
      116 KB · Views: 50

justapilgrim

Marksman
    "Chances are you will never need it so either the 44 or 10mm will serve the purpose well. "
    It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes! John Hearn

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    .45 winmag

justapilgrim

Marksman
    A 12 gauge Marine Cruiser with heavy slugs or solids is a much better defensive selection for Kodiak Browns. You may need to carry pepper spray and check the local regulations. Fines for dead bruins are rather heavy.
    I'm thinking the shotgun will be great at base camp, but not so much while standing in the river with a fly rod in your hand. Get the
    454 Casull, and a good chest holster, and and sell it when you get back home.

M118LR

Master
    I’m going fishing in Alaska and not quite sure what to take for bear protection.
    I’ve got a couple of 44 mags but they are long barrels plus I don’t want to subject them to water.
    I’m thinking maybe a Ruger Alaskan or possibly some other 3” or 4” barrel stainless 44.
    A Glock 20 10mm might even be a possibility.
    If you have something that might fit the bill, run it by me.
    I don’t really want to get into the super calibers like 454 Casull or 480 Ruger because I wouldn’t have any use for it after this trip.
    I’m not going until August so I have plenty of time to look around.
    Just remember that Salmon Roe or a Fly and only a single hook can be used. Treble hooks on a spinner bait are prohibited. Ever watched Romancing the Stone? From Basecamp to Wading the River.

Attachments

• IMG_20230320_202622242.jpg
      IMG_20230320_202622242.jpg
      222.5 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_20230320_203148385.jpg
      IMG_20230320_203148385.jpg
      146.3 KB · Views: 51
    Last edited:

NavCorman

Master
    I'm thinking the shotgun will be great at base camp, but not so much while standing in the river with a fly rod in your hand. Get the
    454 Casull, and a good chest holster, and and sell it when you get back home.
    What about Mossberg Shockwave in a scabbard or on sling over the shoulder ?

M118LR

Master
    Find a spot that has an old water heater, refill it with water and patch the holes with duct tape. If your projectile can't pass through the filled water heater, it ain't good enough to stop a charging Coastal Brown Bruin. JMHO. On this I Promise I'm not leading you astray.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    I thought about that but I’ll bet that would be tough to handle with heavy slugs and would it be quick handling enough?
    Trust me, when the adrenaline kicks in while your witnessing that Bruin Close on you in slow motion, you won't believe what you can handle! Now about that less than 16 inch barrel on a larger than 50 caliber projectile? Gonna take some splainig Lucy! Put a Cruiser Grip on at least a 16 inch, equip it with express or better iron sights, and store it in an over the shoulder scabbard. Your now properly prepared and need to practice on the filled water heater until it becomes second nature. Just remember that all your gear is going to be confiscated when you drop that Bruin, so you won't need to worry about what to do with it years later when you return. YMMV.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    they are 22' tall and 2500 lbs when they run towards you...

mark 1 grizzly winmag...

230 grain @ 1400fps , with another 7 right after that.....

Emcm2

Master
    Not for sale but you can't go wrong with a 500 S&W snubby

Attachments

• 20181213_131131.jpg
      20181213_131131.jpg
      158 KB · Views: 50
    Top Bottom