• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavCorman

Master
    Trust me, when the adrenaline kicks in while your witnessing that Bruin Close on you in slow motion, you won't believe what you can handle! Now about that less than 16 inch barrel on a larger than 50 caliber projectile? Gonna take some splainig Lucy! Put a Cruiser Grip on at least a 16 inch, equip it with express or better iron sights, and store it in an over the shoulder scabbard. Your now properly prepared and need to practice on the filled water heater until it becomes second nature. Just remember that all your gear is going to be confiscated when you drop that Bruin, so you won't need to worry about what to do with it years later when you return. YMMV.
    I have a Shockwave, and can put it into action pretty quick . Never fired a .460 or a 500 S&W but I think I could put more rounds on target with the pump than with a mega handgun under the circumstances of recognizing the threat and taking action . I like the option of slug , buckshot combination as well .

M118LR

Master
    Take them to the water heater! Tell folks if they scratch the mark! Then we all can accept their ability. Theory is nice, but proof in the pudding ( or filled water heater in this case) is a min spec. It's easy enough to do. JMHO Please let me know how that 00 Buckshot performs on the filled water heater. PS, I may have done such things a long, long, long, long, long time ago? I'm going to stick with a heavy slug or solid projectile. Bet you will also once you send that 00 Buck into the filled water heater? JMHO. LOL. Good to hear from you.

Last edited:

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Born and raised in the Alaskan bush here. You are wise to carry something for bear protection. In the old days, think 50s and 60s, most locals carried as big a revolver as they could or a shotgun with slugs.
    Nowadays, Glock 10mm are very popular. Less spendy, more capacity and ease of carry.
    Alaska Brown bears are NOT like these little 600 lb black bears here. Whole larger magnitude of apex predator.
    IMHO
    YMMV
    But definitely carry.

M118LR

Master
    Born and raised in the Alaskan bush here. You are wise to carry something for bear protection. In the old days, think 50s and 60s, most locals carried as big a revolver as they could or a shotgun with slugs.
    Nowadays, Glock 10mm are very popular. Less spendy, more capacity and ease of carry.
    Alaska Brown bears are NOT like these little 600 lb black bears here. Whole larger magnitude of apex predator.
    IMHO
    YMMV
    But definitely carry.
    What is your opinion on the filled water heater test?

Welldoya

Master
    The guy I’m going with goes every year. He hasn’t said too much about bears but does carry an S&W 44. I figure two guns would be better than one.

Welldoya

Master
    What the man says. It’s what my home boys up north do.

I always pay close attention to what the locals do. I’ve scouted a couple of stores for G20s. I’ll check the gun show this weekend.
    I’m looking at the Diamond D chest holster.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    What is your opinion on the filled water heater test?
    I personally have never shot a water heater, but it sounds like a hell of a good idea.
    Me and the locals go with 10mm for ease of carry. Shotgun with slugs if you are very serious.
    I have lost two schoolmates to tundra grizzlies over the years. They move fast and are stealthy hunters. Situational awareness is always important. And I would not be walking in heavy Willows when bears are around.
    Again…IMHO

M118LR

Master
    What the man says. It’s what my home boys up north do.
    I was going to ask what the actual survival rate was, but until I drive a 10 mm through the filled water heater, I'll carry the 12 gauge with heavy slugs or solids. All you 10 mm folks, please tell US at what range your 10mm passes through a filled water heater Please. But Y'all do realize that a .44 Mag with a Hornady 265 grain flat point from a six inch revolver is over 10 percent more potent than any 10mm. Understood? Yet it could only pass through the water heater at a distance measured in feet, not even a yard. Care to wait that long to be capable of breaking a charge? PS, I did earn my Guide License in Alaska. But I was not born there or currently reside there. But that was many decades ago. Yet I think that the Coastal Browns haven't got any softer since I left? YMMV. All those recommending 10 mm Please advise as to how many actual Bruin Charges you have stopped so armed? Even how many HOMEBOYs have stopped such a charge so armed? As to the number of Bruin Charges repelled with a 12 gauge slug, it's a proven performer. At worst you might need it only once, but I'd like you to be able to report that it worked if you really actually need it. JMHO.

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Years ago I had a 2 week business trip to Alaska (best vacation I ever had). My local associate took me salmon fishing in Valdez (pre oil spill) over the weekend. He was carrying a S&W N frame revolver and commented that .41 Magnum was the minimum in case a bear attacked, you can shoot yourself :oops:

M118LR

Master
    Think I'll stick with the 12 gauge. Both the Grizzlies where less than half of what a mature Kodiak can weigh. The Sow withstood a rifle round through both lungs along with 2 hits to the chest from the 10 mm and she was wounded prior to that engagement. Fortunately she broke off the attack before it was disastrous. It's your life and your choice. Choose wisely, JMHO. Sometimes you don't get a second chance to make the proper choice.

Rational Mind

Expert
    Sometimes you hafta compromise and can’t do what might be best.
    There’s no way I can fish in chest waders carrying a shotgun.
    I’m going to fish, not to start $hit with bears. Hopefully I won’t see one.
    Have a great fishing trip. The 10mm would serve you just fine and easy to carry.

M118LR

Master
    Late August early September, yup your going to see Bears anywhere that there is slack water. May even get a Dolly Varden or two. They make for a great breakfast. Good Fishing & Good Luck. If it's you or the fish in your cache, give them your best Ryan Nolan impression. JMHO. Adak & Shemya both had fish and a lot less Bruins than Kodiak. JMHO.

Welldoya

Master
    Late August early September, yup your going to see Bears anywhere that there is slack water. May even get a Dolly Varden or two. They make for a great breakfast. Good Fishing & Good Luck. If it's you or the fish in your cache, give them your best Ryan Nolan impression. JMHO. Adak & Shemya both had fish and a lot less Bruins than Kodiak. JMHO.

We are fishing out of Glacier Bear Lodge at Yakutat.
    The guy I’m going with goes every year. He said he’s seen a few bears over the years but rarely. Usually on the other side of the river.

M118LR

Master
    We are fishing out of Glacier Bear Lodge at Yakutat.
    The guy I’m going with goes every year. He said he’s seen a few bears over the years but rarely. Usually on the other side of the river.
    Never fished that far inland/east. It's a well established and heavily traveled site, so I would expect that there are some conservation precautions in place to reduce Bear to Human confrontations. Not that they can't happen, but I'd check to see how the park services have culled the Bruin population. It's probably not as populated (bear wise) as Kodiak? But I could be incorrect? Being established so long, there are probably some bear related restrictions in place that you shall be required to follow. YMMV?

Top Bottom