• CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Oh damn sorry, I figured beer terms would be common among home brewers. I make beer, not whiskey. When I say mash, I mean a beer mash of grist containing barley malt and other malts and adjuncts. I can make lagers like Budweiser or ales like dogfish head and many many others. I ferment in pet plastic scent and flavor proof bottles (shady lady and others sell these). The recirculating part is I have stainless steel food grade magnetic drive pumps that pump the liquid from the mash through a coil that is immersed in another container of water. That container is temperature controlled with a water heater element and a water recirculating pump to prevent temperature stratification around the coil and keep the mash temp at a constant. This helps with flavor and consistency. Wort comes from the grain I crush and mash and the boiled wort is what I pitch yeast in and ferment. I make a mean 14% cider as well!

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    It will all run on a small generator, or throw the kettle right on a fire and it still works the same. Among beer brewers nothing I said would be obscure. I'm not disappointed in you. I don't doubt that you homebrew at all. Just sharing general details about my setup with a fellow alcohol maker. I could easily distill a beer mash into moonshine. Sorry I poked my nose in your thread. I wasn't making an assumption to the fact whether you care or not, I was willing to get together and share knowledge about what I thought was a shared hobby.

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Ah gotcha, it takes ones gut a while to get used to homebrew with the live yeast still in it. I guess that's a probiotic in itself. My wife is wanting to get in to cheese making.

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Oh damn I will certainly get in on that!

Oh and herms stands for heat exchanging recirculating mash system. It's not a sealed system, I never clarified!

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Krazy1

Expert
    CCHGN, you got it going on. I enjoyed your pics. We raised goats, hogs, chickens, and cows when I was young. I used to have to slop the hogs in the morning before I went to school. I had multiple pet goats that where more like my dogs. I hated the 4th of July. It was on of my dads traditions to have BBQ goat on the 4th. This meant I would loose one of my pets. I really enjoyed the goat pics, it took me down memory lane.

CCHGN

Banned

Last edited:

Krazy1

Expert
    I had to take to naming them dinner or porkchop, or hamhock or stewpot or something...lol

That is funny right there!! Don't get me wrong, I loved the BBQ goat. The older I got my daddy gave me the .22 and I took care of business. I even skinned and cleaned them. My dad and uncle use to take me gopher pulling. I tell people that and most have no idea what it is. My dad cooked stewed groper turtle and to date, I can still remember how good it was. You eat one now, you would be facing 20 years in prison.

Top Bottom