• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Thinking about trying to find one. Looking for a little more (okay maybe a lot more) than 44 magnum. Thinking 7.5" barrel. Anyone have one, or even a taurus 454?
    Any opinions from those that shoot it much?

jettjon

Expert
    Other than the obvious recoil, the cost is probably double per round. Neither is significant if you are only looking for an occasional shooter.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Other than the obvious recoil, the cost is probably double per round. Neither is significant if you are only looking for an occasional shooter.
    Reload, so cost isn't too big a deal. Already load 45 colt with some heavy stuff, so that's not too big a deal.

Any opinions on guns though? I really don't have any issues with taurus, I just would prefer to spend more and get something a little nicer. I don't know of much else besides taurus and ruger.

dirtingd

Marksman
    I had the super red hawk in 454 casull...to me the recoil wasnt much different than the 44 mag I had.

Joshy

Shooter
    @RobertTaylor
    Are you still looking? I'm painfully going to have to part with mine. It's a 7.5in 454 casull super redhawk. Fantastic condition.

Last edited:

fla kid

Marksman
    I had a Tarus raging hunter Sent back to taurus 2 times .Shot loose They finely sent me a new one and I got rid of it

but I love the 454.

fisheadgib

Expert
    I've had a 7-1/2" super redhawk for quite a while and I've rolled a few deer and hogs with it. If you reload, it's only a few more grains of H110 than a .44mag so the added cost is negligible. It's a pretty high pressure round and I would stick with Ruger or a Freedom Arms and the Ruger is a little less expensive. I found the Hogue grips are more comfortable than the factory grips and if you're going to scope it, mount a rail on it and use three rings. I've never been able to keep my scope still with the two factory rings. I've put hundreds of rounds through mine in the 25 years or so that I've had it and have no regrets,

fla kid

Marksman
    Reload, so cost isn't too big a deal. Already load 45 colt with some heavy stuff, so that's not too big a deal.

Any opinions on guns though? I really don't have any issues with taurus, I just would prefer to spend more and get something a little nicer. I don't know of much else besides taurus and ruger.
    I went through 2 taurus 454. sold the second one .before it went like the first.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    I had a very early raging bull, it had a timing issue and would spit lead back in my face. I wish I hadn't, but I sold it years ago. I vote Ruger though!

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Ruger did a far better job of supporting the 454 than it has its own 480. Tragic, really.

BTDT with a FA454, but for me, wisely moved on to the 480. Never looking back.
    Good luck in your search and acquisition!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom