• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5lima30ret

Master
    I know there are many veterans on this forum and I want to thank you for your service! I have a service related neurological issue for years. Recently it has gotten worse.

My primary VA PCM referred me to a Neurologist back in the beginning of March. The soonest I could get an appointment was the end of September!

I saw the Optometrist there in June who prescribed some glasses and noted that I have a growth on one cornea from some metal that was removed years ago at a USAF hospital. I was told that the glasses would be mailed to me within 10 days. I haven't received them as of this date. You can not call to check on them because the phone system in the optometry clinic has been down for over 4 months. So you have to go in person to make appointment!

The VA healthcare providers are very good but WAAAY under staffed! (I checked the VA.gov jobs website and there are no vacant jobs listed at Pensacola VA!) Senator Tuberville has introduced a bill called "No VA Resources For Illegal Aliens Act". Not surprisingly our POTUS is NOT supporting this :mad: Hopefully all the veterans become aware of this and vote accordingly! Feel free to share this info!

Last edited:

Gaterbaitii

Marksman
    I’ve dealt with similar issues. In the past 5.5 yrs I’ve had 4 VA PCMs s they can’t keep them. 3 of the 4 seemed good and 1 was horrible. This is at the Eglin VA Clinic. The VA dentist clinic at Pensacola is horrible getting appointments and usually have to get 2 appointments (exam & cleaning) on separate days. That can up miles and they started in within the distance where I can’t get a referral closer. Funny is my Nextdoor neighbor got a referral within Navarre where we live somehow due to this rule????

In my case, I’ve quit going for anything to my VA PCM as I’m retired USAF and just use Tricare Prime for my needs.

I agree I think they are under staffed and over worked due to the amount of concentrated veterans located in the gulf coast/panhandle area

IronBeard

Master
    I know there are many veterans on this forum and I want to thank you for your service! I have a service related neurological issue for years. Recently it has gotten worse.

My primary VA PCM referred me to a Neurologist back in the beginning of March. The soonest I could get an appointment was the end of September!

I saw the Optometrist there in June who prescribed some glasses and noted that I have a growth on one cornea from some metal that was removed years ago at a USAF hospital. I was told that the glasses would be mailed to me within 10 days. I haven't received them as of this date. You can not call to check on them because the phone system in the optometry clinic has been down for over 4 months. So you have to go in person to make appointment!

The VA healthcare providers are very good but WAAAY under staffed! (I checked the VA.gov jobs website and there are no vacant jobs listed at Pensacola VA!) Senator Tuberville has introduced a bill called "No VA Resources For Illegal Aliens Act". Not surprisingly our POTUS is NOT supporting this :mad: Hopefully all the veterans become aware of this and vote accordingly! Feel free to share this info!
    Not sure if you go to the Pensacola JACC(?), but I was in Optometry yesterday, and was told glasses could take 2-3 weeks to ship; it was waaay longer when they came outta Biloxi. In my experience, if USPS is the carrier, add another week. I have a contact number for the optometry contractor; PM if interested.

Are you aware of the community care referral options?

IronBeard

Master
    I’ve dealt with similar issues. In the past 5.5 yrs I’ve had 4 VA PCMs s they can’t keep them. 3 of the 4 seemed good and 1 was horrible. This is at the Eglin VA Clinic. The VA dentist clinic at Pensacola is horrible getting appointments and usually have to get 2 appointments (exam & cleaning) on separate days. That can up miles and they started in within the distance where I can’t get a referral closer. Funny is my Nextdoor neighbor got a referral within Navarre where we live somehow due to this rule????

In my case, I’ve quit going for anything to my VA PCM as I’m retired USAF and just use Tricare Prime for my needs.

I agree I think they are under staffed and over worked due to the amount of concentrated veterans located in the gulf coast/panhandle area
    I used to go to the Eglin VA clinic, but quit because of the "doctor" they gave me. Basically he didn't like the fact that I considered my life, My Life, and wanted to just "treat" my "conditions."

Switched to the Pensacola JACC when I moved to Navarre and lucked into a great primary care doc. PM if you want the name. Dude has been 100% supportive, and honest, with my desires/requests for community care referrals.

5lima30ret

Master
    Not sure if you go to the Pensacola JACC(?), but I was in Optometry yesterday, and was told glasses could take 2-3 weeks to ship; it was waaay longer when they came outta Biloxi. In my experience, if USPS is the carrier, add another week. I have a contact number for the optometry contractor; PM if interested.

Are you aware of the community care referral options?
    Yes I go to the VA JACC. The primary I have is great I hope he stays. I have also have civilian PCM through Tri-Care. They told me the glasses come out of Denver but they could not find an order for them? I am trying to avoid community care due to most of the referrals are longer drive than the VA. Several friends have used community care and were less than satisfied with the particular physicians they were referred to. Thanks for the info! PM sent.

IronBeard

Master
    Came here to post this. Literally all I use. And my Doctor is so goddamn sexy and flirty.
    So far, I've been fortunate with community care in that people I've been seeing and paying out of pocket/with insurance I pay for, for years, and are also minutes from my house vs an hour+ to the JACC.

5lima30ret

Master
    The last time I was there at the VA lab work waiting area there was a female in a wheelchair who said she just got out of the hospital for hip surgery. She asked the receptionist if someone could push her chair back into the lab area. She was told that no one was available! (I pushed her back.) But that is pathetic and no way to treat our veterans!

The last time I was there at the VA lab work waiting area there was a female in a wheelchair who said she just got out of the hospital for hip surgery. She asked the receptionist if someone could push her chair back into the lab area. She was told that no one was available! (I pushed her back.) But that is pathetic and no way to treat our veterans!
    As a brother should.

IronBeard

Master
    I mentioned community care above, but the VA also gives us an option to use urgent care and pharmacies on the VA dime. Here's the link, just be aware that some of the search features only work/work best if you are logged in.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    I did an in person interview with WKRG news about the problems at the Pensacola VA. They are doing a more in depth investigation to these issues and are wanting to interview any other veterans who have had problems with the Pensacola VA JACC.
    Feel free to PM me and I will forward their contact info.

BTW, I found out (in person, can't get through on phone line) that as of yesterday my eyeglasses prescription order was lost in the computer June 26 when I had the eye exam done. Apparently employees are resigning and leaving due to administrative issues at the Pensacola facility. They re-ordered the glasses yesterday so we will wait and see...

ccc

Master
    They have postponed my last two appointments. The time before those my doctors was telling me two doctors left because of all the red tape paperwork they must do daily. He said he does 6 hours of paperwork daily. We will continue to see delays with this going on.

IronBeard

Master
    In the past year, they’ve added millions who can use the VA medical system but last I checked, they have a hiring freeze! So it’s clear what they are doing here!
    Actually, they have effectively frozen their own hiring. I look at VA jobs now and then on the USAJobs site, and 99 out of 100 are open only to internal candidates. What that means is that only someone working for the VA can apply for and be selected for the VA job. So, how do you fill vacancies internally without creating other vacancies? You can't/don't...:rolleyes:

B52

Master

At least millions of illegals, storming across the border, can get VA healthcare. Democrats and RINO's have ruined this country.

IronBeard

Master
    At least millions of illegals, storming across the border, can get VA healthcare. Democrats and RINO's have ruined this country.
    TBT. We've sat idly (helplessly?) by and allowed that to happen, and continue, while believing the next "election" would turn it all around.

5lima30ret

Master
    If anyone wants to share their problems with the Pensacola VA. WKRG is doing a story on these problems and would like to hear your input. PM me for further contact info. Thanks, David!

ccc

Master
    If anyone wants to share their problems with the Pensacola VA. WKRG is doing a story on these problems and would like to hear your input. PM me for further contact info. Thanks, David!
    Here is the thing, it’s not the VA’s fault. It is all the damn red tape. They truly want to do their job but only get to work a few hours a day, the rest is paperwork and reports. The only way it will get fixed is IF the government WANTS to fix it and they don’t. They want to act like they care about vets but they hamstring the ones that are trying to provide the care.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom