• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Sorry War-Buff but I somehow feel that the rank & file are going to shun this thread. Perhaps that's part of the authoritarian nature of patrolling a forum. Thank You for allowing me to continue, but somehow I feel restricted to respond? They need actual hands on training, I'll leave this in your more than capable hands.

M60Gunner

Master
    Choices.jpg

Different philosophies of use. Did not have room for my 1911 gov't (she's a Ruger). The 1911 is what I first learned on, and it is so very comfortable to me it is my nightstand piece. My grandfather told me he used one to great effect in the Philippines during WWII with hardball (he taught me starting when I was in third grade), so I don't mind the round nose. When I say 1911 I never mean in 9mm, that sounds like blasphemy to me LOL!

The XDM has never hiccuped and holds twenty 9mm 147 grainers. With two spares that is 58 rounds of security. Smooth as silk double taps and it has a great big orange front dot I love. Tremendously accurate and an amazing duty size handgun.

The G19 (Gen 4) is my second go round with Glock. My Gen 1 G17 in the early 90s key holed, as did the replacement. No one believes it but I had the guys who trained me as an armorer (and 60 gunner) shoot it, and it key holed for them a well. Would seem that problem has been solved. The only complaint I have now is one of the mags when fully loaded allows one of the lower rounds (position 12) to rattle, and this does not inspire confidence However, this has yet to affect function. Weight is perfect to me, and the solid steel double spring guide rod assembly has proven very smooth, once I got it seated it fully. Grip angle is also very comfortable for me, go figure lol.

The PPQ is so smooth in every regard it is almost uncanny. Fits my hand like a glove, all controls are manipulated with zero change in grip position (and I mean zero). It has a truly superb trigger. Magazines are well made. Every time I palm it the word "slick" comes to mind, and I don't mean slippery. The pistol is simply remarkable and may be the perfect handgun once I decide on which big orange dot to replace the tiny factory white dot with.

The SD9VE really surprised me with its accuracy and the great feel in my grip. Very rough stippling means it is not as comfortable as the PPQ, but somehow feels a little more planted in my hand. Do not like the trigger, but it is up against a PPQ.

The Ruger .44 Magnum Talo Edition looked so damn sexy I just got seduced. Like to keep .44 specials in it. Have been known to conceal it around the yard or the house when I take a notion. Butter smooth and begging for high line engraving work if ya'll know anyone.

I love .357 snubbies. There, I said it. The SP101 with bobbed hammer is fantastic and of course well made, but the SW649 with the hammer spur (available if needed but still snag free) is just a little smoother. Like Sean Connery vs. Daniel Craig if that makes sense (they are my fav two Bonds). Tried Hogues on it, but the Pachmayrs conceal better and are slightly less grippy. In my own side by side testing they snagged less on my shirts while drawing from concealment. Revolvers take patience to master and enforce (some would say demand) good fundamentals. IMHO they are Great to teach with before moving to auto loaders. At the range, the grin on everyone's face who knows what to expect, and the awestruck look on those who don't, is a fun sight. Once the three foot fireball and awesome concussion fades from the last round of Georgia Arms 158 gr +P+, a few people usually saunter over to ask "what the hell was that"? "Pocket hand cannon" is my usual response. When using a two handed grip please be careful to keep your support hand thumb behind the forcing cone cylinder gap. The thumb you save will be your own. I always have one of these two on my person while in the house or the yard, and have been known to sleep with one. You have my word as a gentleman it is purely platonic;)

M118LR

Master
    View attachment 90717

Different philosophies of use. Did not have room for my 1911 gov't (she's a Ruger). The 1911 is what I first learned on, and it is so very comfortable to me it is my nightstand piece. My grandfather told me he used one to great effect in the Philippines during WWII with hardball (he taught me starting when I was in third grade), so I don't mind the round nose. When I say 1911 I never mean in 9mm, that sounds like blasphemy to me LOL!

The XDM has never hiccuped and holds twenty 9mm 147 grainers. With two spares that is 58 rounds of security. Smooth as silk double taps and it has a great big orange front dot I love. Tremendously accurate and an amazing duty size handgun.

The G19 (Gen 4) is my second go round with Glock. My Gen 1 G17 in the early 90s key holed, as did the replacement. No one believes it but I had the guys who trained me as an armorer (and 60 gunner) shoot it, and it key holed for them a well. Would seem that problem has been solved. The only complaint I have now is one of the mags when fully loaded allows one of the lower rounds (position 12) to rattle, and this does not inspire confidence However, this has yet to affect function. Weight is perfect to me, and the solid steel double spring guide rod assembly has proven very smooth, once I got it seated it fully. Grip angle is also very comfortable for me, go figure lol.

The PPQ is so smooth in every regard it is almost uncanny. Fits my hand like a glove, all controls are manipulated with zero change in grip position (and I mean zero). It has a truly superb trigger. Magazines are well made. Every time I palm it the word "slick" comes to mind, and I don't mean slippery. The pistol is simply remarkable and may be the perfect handgun once I decide on which big orange dot to replace the tiny factory white dot with.

The SD9VE really surprised me with its accuracy and the great feel in my grip. Very rough stippling means it is not as comfortable as the PPQ, but somehow feels a little more planted in my hand. Do not like the trigger, but it is up against a PPQ.

The Ruger .44 Magnum Talo Edition looked so damn sexy I just got seduced. Like to keep .44 specials in it. Have been known to conceal it around the yard or the house when I take a notion. Butter smooth and begging for high line engraving work if ya'll know anyone.

I love .357 snubbies. There, I said it. The SP101 with bobbed hammer is fantastic and of course well made, but the SW649 with the hammer spur (available if needed but still snag free) is just a little smoother. Like Sean Connery vs. Daniel Craig if that makes sense (they are my fav two Bonds). Tried Hogues on it, but the Pachmayrs conceal better and are slightly less grippy. In my own side by side testing they snagged less on my shirts while drawing from concealment. Revolvers take patience to master and enforce (some would say demand) good fundamentals. IMHO they are Great to teach with before moving to auto loaders. At the range, the grin on everyone's face who knows what to expect, and the awestruck look on those who don't, is a fun sight. Once the three foot fireball and awesome concussion fades from the last round of Georgia Arms 158 gr +P+, a few people usually saunter over to ask "what the hell was that"? "Pocket hand cannon" is my usual response. When using a two handed grip please be careful to keep your support hand thumb behind the forcing cone cylinder gap. The thumb you save will be your own. I always have one of these two on my person while in the house or the yard, and have been known to sleep with one. You have my word as a gentleman it is purely platonic;)

Sorry, I'm done sharing at this time. Their are others above my paygrade that run the forum.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Sorry War-Buff but I somehow feel that the rank & file are going to shun this thread. Perhaps that's part of the authoritarian nature of patrolling a forum. Thank You for allowing me to continue, but somehow I feel restricted to respond?

This is my final reply to this thread. You owe me no apology and I offer you none. I think we both contributed to the decline of this thread. If other members were inconvenienced or put off by my posts I apologize to them. My final word is that you were wrong and a bit arrogant to "assume" someone has not served just because they are quiet about it.

FLT

Master
    Schmidty!

You old Dildo Smuggler , I wondered where you’d pop up next. I was starting to worry that you might have died and wouldn’t be around to entertain folks anymore.

wildrider666

Master
    M18LR:
    It's evident that OP's post in another Thread regarding his "being calld on the carpet" fell on deaf ears. A persons credentials don't mean shit and the weight of their "knowledge" carries little sway when they can't maintain civil debate without poking people in the eye. OP should reread his comments from the recipients perspective not from his egotistical perspective as being the "Burning Bush". It's fine to have strong opinions, its not fine to address Forum Members as you have in this Thread. You've read push back from other Members, so its not just my position regarding your comments. As this is open general viewing I have used restraint (again). However, you are actively trying to piss Members off and that bullshit needs to stop.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Schmidty!

You old Dildo Smuggler , I wondered where you’d pop up next. I was starting to worry that you might have died and wouldn’t be around to entertain folks anymore.

lol.

:cool::D

ccc

Master
    Glock is what it is, I fought buying one for years because I liked external safeties and decockers, but a Glock is simply the best combat handgun out there, it just works. Pair that with ease of use, easy to clean and disassemble and reassemble and it is my go to and I now own four of them. I have a .40 but the other three are .9mm and for me when it comes to the most available rounds when SHTF and that’s .9mm those will be my go to sidearms.

FLT

Master
    He’s been on many gun and fishing forums, deferent names and areas of expertise but his style is always the same . He’s rather humorous in his own twisted way, and has pissing folks off down to a science. He claims to be a veteran of considerable age and may well be , but he’s as full of shit as a Christmas turkey. I believe that someone on another forum pinned him down as living in south central Florida on the east coast . But who the hell knows for sure. Any way he’s good for an occasional chuckle. :cool:

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Bottom Line: My selections.
    DA/SA S&W .44 Mag L-Frame Revolver in my Duty Belt when entering the woods.
    1911 S&W E-Series .45 ACP Bedside.
    Glock Model 21 SF .45 ACP for CCW.

Critters that don't shoot back may require a bit more horsepower, critters that shoot back may require a few extra rounds under more controlled circumstances. JMHO.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Springfield XD mod 2 subcompact in .45 ACP. 1911 capacity+ in half the size/weight. Grip and trigger safety; no manual. Grab, align, shoot. Has never failed to feed, go bang, or extract. I know, some folks don't like Springfield, but it was there, the price was right, and I have no regrets. If I had to come up with a complaint; they could have installed a tritium front sight at the factory, but that's just me. My other carry, weather/conditions permitting is a S&W model 69. The underlying intent with both is a quick end to any conflict.....

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom