• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patoz

Marksman
    Ian, I understand you had to do this because some people are stuck at the mental age of 11, and will never grow up. Personally, I don't consider fighting and bitching entertainment, and place it on the same level as Jerry Springer and the rest of those illiterate so-called 'Reality Shows". In this respect, I agree with you 100%, and it's a shame it has come to this already with a forum still in it's infancy. I thought that was one of the reasons for getting away from PFF and starting a new forum.

However, by not being able to respond to a seller's post, you can't ask questions or see discussion about the item. And considering how much needed information is left out when a lot of the 'for sale' post are made (esp. location), this will generate numerous duplicate PM's to the seller, cause time delays, and possible loss of sales. And what about people who post 'wanted to buy' or 'looking for' type post? Are they not allowed any discussion with their post either?

This is a classic case of punishing everyone instead of identifying just the troublemakers, and taking them out of the loop. My suggestion is to rewrite the rules covering this situation in detail and state that it will not be tolerated. Any and all violators will be identified and given a written warning for the 1st offence, temporarily suspension for the 2nd offence, and banned permanently for the 3rd offence.

And while we're discussing rules, I've noticed there are several people on here who like to use foul language including the 'F' word...one in particular. Don't get me wrong, I worked on a military base for 30 years, so I was around it every day and talked the same way. However, I grew up, eventually retired, and realized talking like that just shows the people around you, or the people who read your post, just how uneducated you really are. The First Amendment guarantees the Freedom of Speech, but this is not the place for this kind of language. After all this is a public forum and image is everything, especially when we, as legal as gun owners, are trying to show the country what kind of people we are.

If you're not guilty of any of this...I apologize in advance.

If you are guilty...maybe you should read this again, and pay attention this time.

Ian, If I've overstepped my boundary here, I apologize to you and the other Admins.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    I personally don't care if someone trashes a thread I post. If it's deserved I asked for it. If it's not everybody can see what an ass someone is. I agree that some keyboard crusaders decided to trash talk in the for sale section and they made themselves look stupid for the most part. This is probably impossible but, could those sections be set up to allow the seller to delete a post they didn't like in a thread they started?

RIPpff

Banned
    who is worse:

the guy trying to sell a wasr10 for $1000 (this is a generalization)

or the guy who posts rationally that its not worth xxx amount and never will be?

FUPAGUNT

Master
    OMG not the "F" word!!?!!?

If someone is bothering you that bad why dont you just Ignore them.. This forum has that feature, correct??

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    who is worse:

the guy trying to sell a wasr10 for $1000 (this is a generalization)

or the guy who posts rationally that its not worth xxx amount and never will be?

IMO in this scenario, the guy asking 1k for a WASR10 is doing nothing wrong, the person who comes into the thread making his opinion, rational or not, known that the gun is not worth the amount asked is breaking the rules.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Now we can just tell the newbies or anyone else they are gouging and "they are Idiots" in a PM and no infraction and no one else sees it! What if they start reposting our private emails??

SAWMAN

Master
    Bean Counter, This is what the Admins were doing. Simply "cleaning up" the threads. The culprits were so dumb(or simply couldn't help themselves)that they didn't take the hint. I do not want to have to continuously check my for sale thread. To me this would give the bafoons another reason to trash the thread knowing the only consequences would be to get their post erased. Especially after no telling how many people have seen it.

IMO,the simplest way to make this stuff quit happening is to start giving an individual a warning,a ban for "X" amount of days,then finally gone for good. To me the stoooopid ones deserve no better. This forum is already starting to get a PFF'ish label. I like this forum. I want to be on this forum. I left PFF for lots more reasons than not being able to sell guns. I am hoping that this forum comes thru this and the Admins realize that some will "push the envelope". If everybody likes the Admin and mods,they aren't doing their job. Weed out the asshats and send them on their way. To me.......easy. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Bean Counter

Marksman
    I thought of that after I posted it Sawman. I agree with you. I also like the three steps. The only problem with that is that it would be a pain in the ass for the moderators.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I know with a little bit of time and some great ideas, that we can get to a happy place, all of these suggestions and concerns are being heard / considered.

We don't want to negatively affect the community, I haven't forgotten that our main draw is an active sales section, and my intentions with the action that we took today was to protect that section from posts that damage member's ability to list and sell items.

Until we figure out a better way, which I am sure we can, we will restrict the posting.

In the mean time, we are also going to be looking at additional moderators, as the 4 of us really just aren't cutting it at this point.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    OK I have already found an issue doing the sale section this way. Armywags has a WTB pink furniture for his wife's AR I ran across a new and improved battery assist lever(to replace a BAD lever) and was going to post it...I can't, so I PM'd him, would have been much easier to post...Now NO one else will see this great new device at a great price that also comes in all the colors...We are going to miss out on tidbits like this all the time...I have to change my mind and say punish the offenders and not ALL of us!

Here is the link!
    http://www.tacticallink.com/Battery_Assist_Lever.html

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    OK I have already found an issue doing the sale section this way. Armywags has a WTB pink furniture for his wife's AR I ran across a new and improved battery assist lever(to replace a BAD lever) and was going to post it...I can't, so I PM'd him, would have been much easier to post...Now NO one else will see this great new device at a great price that also comes in all the colors...We are going to miss out on tidbits like this all the time...I have to change my mind and say punish the offenders and not ALL of us!

Here is the link!
    http://www.tacticallink.com/Battery_Assist_Lever.html

Working on it Sir... see my previous post.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Don't SIR me...LOL Thanks

Gaijin

Shooter
    Pretty easy if you ask me, a rule such as something below, and if a user decides to violate this rule, the one week, one month and ultimately the permanent ban based on number of violations.

I just hate to be punished because a few people decide they need not be courteous or find courage behind a keyboard. And, since you only have four moderators, let the OP complain. It would free up some time for ya'll and you wouldn't have to read every post, just review the post that offended the OP.

Because ads move so quickly, the moderators are having to spend huge amounts of time deleting irrelevant posts in threads to keep them from bumping early. Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the ad. To clarify this, we mean an offer to buy/trade, notice of PM, questions about the specific item, etc.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS WHATSOEVER are off-limits and belong in their own thread in one of the other parts of the forum.

collectorden

Expert
    I can see where it's a lot of work for the mods to monitor all the posts, but we could help by reporting offenders.
    That said, I appreciated most of the comments that were made about items I was selling, and I never got offended by an offer.
    We have a lot of great members on these forums and it's a shame to have to change everything because of a few jerks.

Try'n Hard

Expert
    Joined this forum about 3 months ago, and have enjoyed being a member very much. I managed to make a very fair trade of a rifle for my first handgun. I love it and am putting money aside for my next purchase/trade. When I first started here I knew virtually nothing about handguns but thanks to all the posts and bantor I have learned alot. I now know what an "upper and "lower" is, understand calibers and different types of ammo, understand how an AR operates, know that AR doesnt stand for "Assault Rifle", Understand the difference between an AS and QA trigger on a Walther, know the do's and donts of Laser sights and that no one ever killed a "Venison". I made a comment on a thread recently that got deleated and it has bothered the crap outta me! Although I didnt agree with the deletion I am taking it like a man and I have apologized to the poster and Admins. I will miss the comments because I learned alot from reading them. I understand the decision but worry that interest in the entire forum will diminish. Hope Not!

I do agree with Patoz about the language, but aint gonna preach about it.

merkinman

Marksman
    I would rather see a (b*tchslap) marker for those who can't play nice. I for one like being able to ask public questions. Just say'n!

CCHGN

Banned
    My $.02,,,,I have no problem with what has been decided. Apparently something had to be done and it can be undone.

I was talking with another member about this just the other day. I type how I talk and I won't say anything that I wouldn't say to your face, 'cause there's a good chance, we WILL be talking face to face. I've been on alot of other sites and am still a member on a few....I like the idea of penalizing the offender(s) and keep the overall rules open.

Snow Bird

Master
    You go Ian. I'm glad I don't have to keep over 1000 people happy. Keep up the good work.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    Just like politics. At best only half the the people will be pissed off at what ever decisions are made. The folks that created this board have done an amazing job in a short period of time. Growing pains are inevitable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom