• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    I was born and raised in north Okaloosa, living in Baker now and have never evacuated for anything but a train derailment. We were out of power for 3 days after Eloise & Opal and 14 days after Ivan. We used 12 volt lighting after Opal but bought a generator a few year later, always fill every gas can plus the boat tanks, jeep and truck 2 to 3 days before a storm makes landfall. After Ivan the wife said if a 4 or 5 is forecast she wants to evacuate and go to her sister's in North Carolina. Personally I worry more about a tornado during a hurricane than anything else but then our place is 250' above sea level.

Seanpcola

Yeah, living on the water was great when I was younger. Especially younger and single. Many a night I met a sweet thing and suggested a midnight boat ride. Worked. Well. Very well. I still miss it but I don't want to add storm surges to the stress anymore. Of course, a tornado could come through and rip this place apart today but what'cha gonna do?

Biggest things I learned from Ivan was preparedness and "things" don't matter, people do. When we first got back I was almost in a panic attack from realizing my TVs, furniture, most of my clothes and knickknacks were all gone, along with my van. Reality is clothes go in a year, furniture gets replaced, TVs crap out every decade and most of all......... we humans generally have too much stuff anyway. I almost can look back and say that Ivan did me a favor. And he did in many ways. Only things I regret losing in that storm was some family photos and about half of my woodworking tools couldn't be salvaged, including a two week old top-of-the-line mitre saw. I lost at least a 600 books, I've already bought, read and given away twice that many since. My aquariums made it through fine but they were fresh water and I lost around 35 cichlids, a few miscellaneous others and a pair of albino veiled Oscars my wife was really attached to.

But, a fresh start and almost 11 years later I like my present house better, better workshop, less corrosion from constant salt spray and I'm more laid back all around.

Oh, and I'm back to square one with too much stuff.

Viking1204

Master
    Sean I hear you on the salt spray, that is one thing I won't miss when I move further inland. Keeping tools and other metal things in my garage rust free is a constant battle.

Seanpcola

Yep, I couldn't keep my patio lights working for more than a month at a time without taking the bulbs out and cleaning contacts. Tools were always a mess. It's certainly a harsh environment. Fun but a lot of work.

I would wash my truck and the next morning have to run the windshield washers and wipers to get the scum off.

shootnstarz

Master
    I rode out the 04 hurricane on the back porch about 2/3 mile from the Sound. The most memorable part was at about 0130 the surge came ashore and the roar of the breaking waves, and houses, was something I'll never forget. I could actually "feel" the sound it was so intense. A couple of wind gust were more like a bomb concussion than a wind gust, very sharp and powerful.

The next night, which just happened to be a new moon night, was the clearest I've ever seen the sky. There were so many stars I couldn't find the constellations, Andromeda Galaxy was glowing bright and star clusters looked like sprinkled out diamond dust through the telescope. That night is the benchmark I will forever use to judge a clear, dark sky.

Rick

Viking1204

Master
    Well enjoy the relatively rain free weekend ahead everyone because after this weekend the weather gods are forecasting a wet pattern developing for us starting the middle of next week and lasting for probably a week or so! Hopefully they are wrong and we just get some needed rain but not several days straight of rain.

Well enjoy the relatively rain free weekend ahead everyone because after this weekend the weather gods are forecasting a wet pattern developing for us starting the middle of next week and lasting for probably a week or so! Hopefully they are wrong and we just get some needed rain but not several days straight of rain.
    If it's nothing but rain until fall I'd be ok, majorly pissed I could barely fish however I worked it out to where I can shoot my bow from my back porch. So the rain won't matter too much as long as time flies to hunting season. :)

Viking1204

Master
    Lucky you Belle, I can't wait to move so I can shoot my bow in the backyard! I live in a water front neighborhood now without much of a yard so no way to shoot at home right now.

Seanpcola

Safe word: Dial 911!

Of course, the guy must have known what he was getting in to. I mean, hair extensions and baggy clothes do not hide that kind of love.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    294B92CA00000578-3109519-Miss_Long_Legs_Dong_Lei_has_gained_fame_for_her_impressive_pins_-a-4_14.jpg

Attachments

• 294B92CA00000578-3109519-Miss_Long_Legs_Dong_Lei_has_gained_fame_for_her_impressive_pins_-a-4_14.jpg
      294B92CA00000578-3109519-Miss_Long_Legs_Dong_Lei_has_gained_fame_for_her_impressive_pins_-a-4_14.jpg
      104.3 KB · Views: 128

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    and not every Google image of Dong Lei is a model with long legs :eyebrows:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom