• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt.joe

Master
    I have good luck with everglades tomatoes and seminole pumpkins. Has anyone mentioned peppers and okra? Grows great here. I tried moringa, couldnt get it to grow but i dont really have a green thumb. I have some wet areas that i want to plant tahitian spinach and taro.

Rational Mind

Expert
    I have good luck with everglades tomatoes and seminole pumpkins. Has anyone mentioned peppers and okra? Grows great here. I tried moringa, couldnt get it to grow but i dont really have a green thumb. I have some wet areas that i want to plant tahitian spinach and taro.
    My peppers do great. Several varieties from bell peppers to the little candy cane ones. All my peppers do very well .

Tovarish

Expert
    We grow mint, rosemary, basil, and oregano in small pots. Not food, but it helps add flavor to the other things you grow.

WRM

Master
    Anyone growing Datil peppers? If so, where did you get your seeds?

Viking1204

Master
    Peppers grow well enough here that I've had plants live through the winter and produce peppers the following year. Jalapeño and poblano.
    I read up that Peppers are Perennial in areas that don't freeze. I managed to keep to keep 5 pepper plants from last year. I read online how to over winter them in climates like ours and I think I trimmed them back too far. This year I'm going to try and setup some type of greenhouse to keep them in over the Winter so I don't have to trim them back so much.

Found this Google Datil Pepper, most of the Peppers I grow are mild since my family and I like mildly hot but not the super hot!

WRM

Master
    This year I'm going to try and setup some type of greenhouse to keep them in

You should have success. We have a true commercial style greenhouse and we overwinter a lot of tropical plants in it. I think we lost maybe one out of 50+ plants this last year and we really expected to lose that one. If I can get off my duff I'll plumb a nat gas heater to it to give it that last bit of protection for this year.

Set it up as close to the house as you can and out of your normal wind patterns, if possible. The house will help keep it just a little bit warmer.

Last edited:

WRM

Master
    most of the Peppers I grow are mild since my family and I like mildly hot but not the super hot!

I don't find them to be super hot, personally. I too am not a fan of hot just for the sake of hot. They can be on the hotter end tho, and that "could" have something to do with the specific seed you get.

Viking1204

Master
    I don't find them to be super hot, personally. I too am not a fan of hot just for the sake of hot. They can be on the hotter end tho, and that "could" have something to do with the specific seed you get.
    I always try one pepper each year that is either classified as hot or mildly hot. My wife will use them to season some of her cooking, she's from Spain and we both like mildly hot foods that have really good flavor. I grow several Shishito peppers considered mild that my wife bakes in the oven with olive oil that taste great but usually every picking we get at least one or two that have some zing to them!

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    I really enjoy reading about y’all’s gardens. I’m limited on space for full sun. My residence is covered with oaks and hickory’s so I keep a few pots with edibles on my patio. I work in horticulture and the last thing i want to do when i get home is slave it out in a garden.

For those that live in a neighborhoods or don’t have space for a full garden you can use edible plants as ornamentals. Palm hearts are a good source of food and can be used as an ornamental. Loquat has been mentioned. Pindo palms are heavy fruiters and will make it through our winters. The new growth on Smilex can be used in salads. This can be found on the dune. There are tons of exotic weeds and natives that could be used in the kitchen. Please share your knowledge.

‘Square Foot Gardening’ by Mel Barthalomew is a good read for those that are limited in space.

WRM

Master
    every picking we get at least one or two that have some zing to them!

Yes--every plant seems to have the capacity to produce a few real barn burners on occasion.

Pindo palms are heavy fruiters and will make it through our winters

Love our Pindo. I think it started fruiting second year. Had a really heavy production last year. I'd like to make a bottle or two of wine. Had plenty enough fruit last year to do it.

WRM

Master
    For those that live in a neighborhoods or don’t have space for a full garden you can use edible plants as ornamentals

Good advice. Sad that developments now are stacked in as close as they allow. I wish I had a bit more space to work with and I've got wayyyyy more than the average person, and certainly more than most right around me.

Container plants are a great alternative. Also let's you find where the plant wants to be. As noted prior, "full sun" does NOT mean "full Florida sun".

maxfold

Master
    I really enjoy reading about y’all’s gardens. I’m limited on space for full sun. My residence is covered with oaks and hickory’s so I keep a few pots with edibles on my patio. I work in horticulture and the last thing i want to do when i get home is slave it out in a garden.

For those that live in a neighborhoods or don’t have space for a full garden you can use edible plants as ornamentals. Palm hearts are a good source of food and can be used as an ornamental. Loquat has been mentioned. Pindo palms are heavy fruiters and will make it through our winters. The new growth on Smilex can be used in salads. This can be found on the dune. There are tons of exotic weeds and natives that could be used in the kitchen. Please share your knowledge.

‘Square Foot Gardening’ by Mel Barthalomew is a good read for those that are limited in space.
    I HAVE SWITHED TO CONTAINER GARDEN , 1\2-32 GALLON BARREL FOOD GRADE ,TOP OF GARDEN STANDS AT MY WAIST , EASY TO TEND FEW WEEDS , COMPOST PILE TO HELP ,

Attachments

• 20220524_103656.jpg
      20220524_103656.jpg
      594.4 KB · Views: 46
    • 20220524_103557.jpg
      20220524_103557.jpg
      667.5 KB · Views: 46
    • 20220524_103550.jpg
      20220524_103550.jpg
      654.5 KB · Views: 48
    • 20220524_103531.jpg
      20220524_103531.jpg
      416.5 KB · Views: 63
    • 20220524_103531.jpg
      20220524_103531.jpg
      416.5 KB · Views: 45
    • 20220524_104414.jpg
      20220524_104414.jpg
      633.2 KB · Views: 45
    • 20220524_104425.jpg
      20220524_104425.jpg
      543.7 KB · Views: 59

@Ktchnking

Expert
    If you lack space; grow up instead of out.
    If a plant can be put on a trelis, do it. You will save space.

You can also plant closer and keep the soil well fed. You won't get as good of a result as old school row gardening but you will get a harvest.

I live on a lot smaller plot than I would prefer. Row gardening isn't an option.

Perennials and food trees are part of the landscape. At some point I may not have any grass left.

WRM

Master
    If you have the desire to plant but just don't have any idea where to start, go see Michelle in the garden dept at Hall's in Milton. She can set you up and plenty of good advice.

Containers really are the way to go, I think, particularly for new to gardening folks and/or the average homeowner. Get the ocean floor soil at Hall's and a fertilizer tailored to what you are growing. Yes, there is some upfront cost. But, you can keep that soil and revitalize it next year. It'll be a confidence booster to successfully grow something and the containers will help with success.

Start with 2 or 3 plants and see how it goes. Tomatoes are always good. The ones you grow at home will actually be a pleasure to eat versus the inedible crapola you get at a grocery store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom