• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    What about the fish ? THC FISH SANDWICH !

I'd imagine you could put tilapia in it. Not my choice in the current world as a fish option to eat, but in the post apocalypse I'd probably walk a mile for a Camel or a tilapia.

WRM

Master
    Come to think of it, I just might want a THC fish sammy (or 10) in the post apocalypse!

Viking1204

Master
    Well the storms are finally settling down here in the FWB area, I'm curious to get home today and see how much rain is in the rain gauge, I'm guessing 2-3" at least! Good for the Garden but now they are issuing a wind advisory, damn wind, rain good, wind bad!

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Well the storms are finally settling down here in the FWB area, I'm curious to get home today and see how much rain is in the rain gauge, I'm guessing 2-3" at least! Good for the Garden but now they are issuing a wind advisory, damn wind, rain good, wind bad!
    The rain is good, the lightning is great.

I'm ready for a clear day though. I have a bed to build.

WRM

Master
    Yeah looks like it should move out tomorrow by end of day and weekend thru Monday should be pretty nice. Give us a chance to dry out--most rain in just a few days I can recall for a bit.

Viking1204

Master
    Yep, I picked up about 2" Sunday and Monday and now whatever today! More to come tonight and tomorrow I think!

McMillan

USMC
    As a chef by trade for many years I firstly love the handle, second appreciate the knowledge and experience you are sharing and C. Am just simply made of interest right now. lol

I have had a hydro system for many years with talapia, as well as snails, plus edibles like watercress, water spinach and taro. Running through a gutter system filled with clay pellets for tomato’s, cucumber, blackberries and raspberries and herbs… down into a garden bed of rotated produce during the seasons, into a drain pan and then pumped back to the top with a solar pump so just daytime operation with plug in for long cloudy times.
    I felt like the “system” needed time to establish to benefit each other via nutrient distribution. I am moving to a more raised bed system and am interested in product placement to gain the advantage of this growth optimization.
    This thread is well thought out and very much appreciated and I will be posting questions if you wouldn’t mind, or anyone here really, I would appreciate it! Currently have red potatoes and sweet potatoes in raised beds but I love the tire idea. Next year. Watermelon in the ground below the beds, peas against the fence to trellis up and squash under that.
    Some citrus and various herbs around the bed edges and some radish in the middle of the bed.

Why “hill” the potatoes?

@Ktchnking

Expert
    As a chef by trade for many years I firstly love the handle, Why “hill” the potatoes?
    Thank you. My love for gardening is tied to my love of food. I'll answer any question I know the answer to.

Potatoes produce best in loose soil. In other soil types, like Georgia's red clay, potatoes benefit more from the help than we do with our loose and sandy soil.

My favorite way to grow potato is in a structure where I can add dirt as the plant grows. I get a better harvest this way. I've used buckets, laundry baskets, and planted strait into the ground.

Another benefit is not needing to kneel and scratch potatoes out of the ground.

Bonus trivia- in some parts of the world potato was grown for its bloom. In other places potatoes have to be aged for years before they are safe to eat.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    I was always taught when the buds fall off its bout time to harvest? Your take on this?
    When the vine dies back the potatoes are ready to dig up.
    am interested in product placement to gain the advantage of this growth optimization.
    Some plants have different effects on the soil.
    For example, tomato will strip your soil of nitrogen.

Plant your beans where your tomatoes were the previous year. Legumes are "nitrogen fixers."

Also, I plant dill and kale under plants like okra. Bugs like okra but they hate dill. This helps with pest control.

Legumes also interfere with nutrients uptake in other veggies like squash and eggplant.

Garlic and onion have the same effect on legumes and should be seperate.

When you are figuring out your layout consider how much water and fertilizer each type of plant needs and separate the plants that are incompatible.

When the weather clears I will share pictures of a new bed I am building and I will explain why I chose to put what where, and what I will follow it with in the fall when it is time to rotate in new plants.

Viking1204

Master
    I had 1.5" of rain in my gauge when I got home yesterday, dumped it out and forgot to check it this morning but I know it rained a good bit overnight. Had to drill a few more holes in the bottom of the pot for my Mulberry tree, it had standing water in it and lots of water drained out after I drilled a few more holes. I think Friday I'm going to have a lot of peppers to pick!

IronBeard

Master
    Florida is a sun-scorched, sandbox full of weeds. Choose plants that can thrive in sand or resign yourself to constantly providing/replenishing fertilizer/organic matter. Anything applied to the surface will eventually wash down to a foot+ below the surface with the rain we get. Bucket/pot gardens start to gain appeal, considering. Keep 'em off the ground! Nematodes. They're like leftists, they destroy everything they come in contact with.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom