• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    The 22 pricing has been fun to watch. People call BS on the $80-$100 a box but will buy up the $45-$55 a box without a second thought. I know the math is much better for the lower price but that price is still DOUBLE what it was the beginning of December. Where's the cry of "Gouger!!" there? Is it not called for because that is the lowest price (assuming Walmart doesn't have any?) going?

Double on 22LR is OK. But higher prices on other items is bad.

Selective outrage?

Just wondering.

$80 Pmags or 5 for $500. The BAN is coming!!

Let's all remember this lesson when this happens again in 2, 4, 6 or 8 years. Hell, maybe all of those.

wildrider666

Master
    The vultures feasting on the weak. If I didn't have ammo, I would be weak too. I don't :frusty: about it, I just feel bad for the people paying the high prices.

Sooner or later a new "norm" will be established and prices will stabilize. In the mean time I hope the those in need get their fill and the gougers get stuck with big inventories that they paid too much for.

Viking1204

Master
    The vultures feasting on the weak. If I didn't have ammo, I would be weak too. I don't :frusty: about it, I just feel bad for the people paying the high prices.

Sooner or later a new "norm" will be established and prices will stabilize. In the mean time I hope the those in need get their fill and the gougers get stuck with big inventories that they paid too much for.

I think with all the gun legislation getting voted down and the disasters this country is facing from the past week gun/ammo prices and stocks should start to return to normal soon. The president is going to be busy with a lot of other $hit and isn't going to have time to try and make a run at any new gun legislation anytime soon. Obamacare is short doctors/money and about to fall flat on its face, pretty sure that will be the next big focus of Odumba.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    No legislation needed, watch him and executive orders, legal or not...I think when that happens another panic will begin.

wildrider666

Master
    This is the second Big Gun Grab Scare. It will be a long time before the ammo hoarding will stop and all the needs filled to the point there is enough stock of "common calibers" return to full store shelves.

Little Jack

Master
    There is still higher end .22 that retails at 35-45 a box. So not all the 22 is double the price.
    All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

So you're saying that the high end ammo is a Bette value now? Just like the difference in premium gas. That 10-12 cents is much less of an issue when gas is running over 3 bucks as opposed to when gas was a buck.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well in ammo there is a need and use for premium ammo. Gas engines can be detuned to run on reg gas and few autos need premium gas, apples/oranges

Little Jack

Master
    Frank,

Point taken. At the same time, most people aren't looking for high performance ammo. They're looking for cheap stuff to go plink and practice. Are you going to go burn through a bunch of jhp +p to put holes in paper?

You can still find some high end ammo on the shelves. Pdx, 6.8, etc. people weren't buying a lot of that before the scare.

The comment was more about the change in price difference as prices rise. The item wasn't important.

Granted, the comment that 22 ammo prices have doubled is a generalization. But commenting that not all of it has is avoiding the issue. Those prices that haven't doubled were high to begin with and are higher now. The scare had raised the prices of the ammo that MOST if us are looking for.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I think ALL hunters are looking for high performance ammo, people like me don't go out and plink rocks or paper. every rd of 6.8 made is sold ASAP, they cannot make enough, but the price has only increase maybe 10% so why is 22 and other different? Panic I believe, with some shopping and getting on lists you can still buy 22 ammo and others at close to what we call normal pricing.

I don't care what someone resells the ammo for to panicked buyers but I do object to the forum protecting first time posters gouging folks over valued participating members comments and threatening them w a time out...that is real backwards and wrong!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I think ALL hunters are looking for high performance ammo, people like me don't go out and plink rocks or paper. every rd of 6.8 made is sold ASAP, they cannot make enough, but the price has only increase maybe 10% so why is 22 and other different? Panic I believe, with some shopping and getting on lists you can still buy 22 ammo and others at close to what we call normal pricing.

I don't care what someone resells the ammo for to panicked buyers but I do object to the forum protecting first time posters gouging folks over valued participating members comments and threatening them w a time out...that is real backwards and wrong!

First time poster or the 1,000th post we need to be respectful, we treat everyone in the same respectful manner. If the price is out of line, nobody will buy it, and in this way the prices regulate themselves.

Zeus

Banned For Life
    First time poster or the 1,000th post we need to be respectful, we treat everyone in the same respectful manner. If the price is out of line, nobody will buy it, and in this way the prices regulate themselves.

I think that is what I found out right off the bat, from what I have seen everyone plays pretty well together on here which is hard to do as sometimes humor, sarcasm, etc.... do not come across properly when typed. Lots of other forums are full of pot stirrers and trolls that like to see how much drama they can cause ....

This is the first forum I have run across that allows people to post in the for sale section without first reaching X number of posts first. (not suggesting you change it, just saying ...)

Oh, and this is also the first and only forum I have ever run across that has a member who is so proud of his wiener ! :caked:

(I wonder if he owns a T shirt company ..........)

my-weiner-is-huge-in-uranus.jpg

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Haha.. great shirt...

I don't know of any other forums that allow it either, and right or wrong, I think that it's the best way to get people posting up items for sale :D.

joe

Master
    I use to have some sympathy for those buying at increased prices. Not anymore, they are half the problem. How much 22 does someone need to feel secure? 3,000 10,000 I Hope it all gets wet at wont fire.:croc: LOL Although I have just as much frustration with the gougers.

The gougers & Hoarders have both created this problem. We will all have to pay inflated prices because of it.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master

I agree that you're not seeing the doubling of prices for hunting ammo. Hunting ammo has always been much more expensive than plinking ammo. I don't think that most of the "gouging" issue has been about hunting calibers. ( by all means correct me if that's out of line) I've seen plenty of 270, 6.8, 300WSM and other hunting calibers at the walmarts when I get to chance to see what's not there. Would you like me to pick you up some 6.8 if I see it? I'm not shitting you. I saw several boxes of 6.8 last week at the Creighton walmart. I'd be more than happy to get you some.

Just because you don't go out and shoot "rocks and paper" doesn't mean any one else isn't doing it. When I get to shoot, it's usually 22 and 9 because that's what's cheap and I will usually go through several hundred rounds given enough time. Clearly that's not your thing but there's a lot more 9mm and 22 being burned than the hunting calibers, hence the higher demand and the higher pricing.

Yes, you can find "normal" priced 9mm and 22 from time to time but the stars have to align and you've got to be in the right place at the right time. How much is that single box of 22 costing you with $20 worth of shipping?

It's already been addressed but as far as the 1st time posters with high prices... that's up to the owners of the forum. They're kind enough to allow people to ask whatever they want for their items. If the price is high.... it won't sell.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    very good comment Frank

for what it is worth I have way more ammo than I or my children will ever need but it is not present purchase and is vacuum sealed and climate controlled.
    for me I will never offer it for sale for the simple reason I would want a profit , hence I would be a gouger so this is just more ammo that is not available.
    I spent my time and effort to vacuum seal it and maintain it at room temp so to mess with an unknown person I would have to drive and meet would be an added inconvenience and even a possible risk. it is just not worth dealing with people you don't personally know.
    Obama is going to release executive orders next week and we will see if Ammo will have new regulations so I think I was wise to never need to buy another round of any caliber for any reason and I am just one more person you do not have to compete with for any new ammo that becomes available.

Zeroed in

Master
    I personally find the gouging amusing. Like I've said, If you don't buy it, stop the hoarding, and it will come down back to normal. Some ppl act as if we are about to be invaded by a 3rd world country and they need that ammo. lmao....
    Look at precious metals, panic drove them skyward, now they are falling. All those ppl who paid outrageous prices for it, are now feeling the loss. Same with the gougers, stop paying exorbitant prices, and the gouges will sell at fair prices sooner or later. I mean they have to eat too, and I don't think they'll eat lead.... just my .02 cent

bullseye

Shooter
    "Fun While Wrapping Your Weiner".

Fun for me, at least, cause my weiner aint enjoyin this one lil bit.
    Even though I tried to explain that its for his own protection, he just wants this #%&#@ thing offa his head, and that flashin thing outta his eyes!
    Too bad he dont understand but a few words of english, like FOOD, GO BYE BYE, NO, GET DOWN, COME HERE, GOOD BOY, and LOOK! :madgrin:

At least HE has no ammo worries at all.

Attachments

• 2013-04-18_20-02-29_143 - Copysmall.jpg
      2013-04-18_20-02-29_143 - Copysmall.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 128
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom