• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Master
    So this week I’m in a Vrbo (vacation rental by owner for those who don’t know like I didn’t) with the family while our son attends a pretty epic summer program out of town.

Short story is I’m not really liking it. The locks are electronic, so at least I don’t have to worry about anyone running around with spare keys. The backyard is surrounded by a privacy fence, but the back glass doors and kitchen window overlooking the pool don’t have any curtains or blinds and looking at my own reflection knowing I’m on the wrong side of the light inversion any time we are in the living room doesn’t make me happy.

The house was built in the 60’s (guessing) and has been renovated very nicely, but the fridge makes the most God-awful noises in the middle of the night when it defrosts. The first night I thought someone was knocking loudly on the door and it goes on for about two hours, but not with any regularity so you don’t get used to it. Also on the first night my wife said she heard our son get up in the middle of the night and walk down the hall but when she didn’t hear the toilet flush she got up to check on him and he was still in bed.

Second night we are in bed and the AC is running and the fridge sounds like the Tet offensive and I hear footsteps in the hall going out to the living room as well. Get up, kid’s in bed, no one walked down the hall. I go out, clear the house, and move a chair into the corner and sit. About an hour later, all of a sudden the lights in the living room, kitchen, and hallway come on. Those lights are controlled by three different switches two rooms apart, so no way they were turned on by a person in the house. I remove the switch plates and see they are wifi connected, so literally anyone in the world could have done that with their phone, so I’m betting it’s on a schedule that someone forgot about, but it freaked me out a bit at first because there’s nothing on the exterior of the switches to say they are wifi capable. I still haven’t figured out the footsteps noise and I’ve heard them two other times but never during daylight hours. I really don’t think there’s anyone phrogging the house and I’m not a big believer in ghosts, but when you hear something that sounds like footsteps it gets your attention.

I brought a bug sweeper and went through the house. It’s pretty well rated and detects radio transmissions and has an infrared lens detector, so at least I don’t think we are being spied on but I’m just unsettled enough that I don’t trust the inconsistent noises the house makes so I stay on alert most of the night. Kind of sucks. Really looking forward to being back home this weekend, for sure!

Does anyone here get a bit antsy when you‘re in an environment that really isn’t vetted?

ABlaster

Master
    It’s one and done for me on a big house rental and I’m a pretty laid back guy. We travel a lot but we always stay in hotels or with friends/family and I’m 100% ok in those places. This house is big enough I might not know what’s going on in the living room when I’m in the back.

I don’t really trust the environment so it makes all the weird noises (there are a lot of them and they aren’t consistent enough for me to get used to them) make me feel the need to check them out. Not a recipe for a great night’s sleep!

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Tried it. Had similar weirdness. Not a fan anymore.

One place had leftovers in the fridge and opened food in the pantry. Owner said that was normal for the area and other renters thought it was nice and not wasteful. WTF, right?

Another place had no toilet paper. Not a square to spare. We arrived late at night, so that was inconvenient to add the quick trip to a WalMart. Owner said that wasn’t included. Again, WTF?

One place had one of those Nest thermostats controlled by wifi, and boy was it monitored. We disabled the temperature schedule and set it to our comfort. Then the temp would change in the middle of the night. Property manager said there were temp ranges that too cold would freeze the a/c. We let them know we had people with health issues that couldn’t be in a hot house and they should put those restrictions in the listing. Stop changing the thermostat remotely on us.

Add in the cameras on the doors so they see and hear you when you arrive and leave.

No thanks.

What you gain in extra space and no hotel guests on the floor above you stomping around all night, you pay for with nanny-state tech, creepy policies, and very questionable hygiene/cleanliness standards.

Nah. I’m with Ray. Get a travel trailer, or learn to love hotels again.

Gunslinger Ed

Expert
    The lady and I have been in an Airbnb all weekend, we'll be pulling out today and heading back home.We've used this one before and had to book it months in advance.Everything's been great.Bed wasn't as comfortable as I remembered though

Gunslinger Ed

Expert
    Coffee and a smoke with one of the host hanging out by the pool

Attachments

• IMG_20240623_051017893.jpg
      IMG_20240623_051017893.jpg
      2.9 MB · Views: 36
    • IMG_20240623_050909101.jpg
      IMG_20240623_050909101.jpg
      3.1 MB · Views: 39

ABlaster

Master
    Tried it. Had similar weirdness. Not a fan anymore.

One place had leftovers in the fridge and opened food in the pantry. Owner said that was normal for the area and other renters thought it was nice and not wasteful. WTF, right?

Another place had no toilet paper. Not a square to spare. We arrived late at night, so that was inconvenient to add the quick trip to a WalMart. Owner said that wasn’t included. Again, WTF?

One place had one of those Nest thermostats controlled by wifi, and boy was it monitored. We disabled the temperature schedule and set it to our comfort. Then the temp would change in the middle of the night. Property manager said there were temp ranges that too cold would freeze the a/c. We let them know we had people with health issues that couldn’t be in a hot house and they should put those restrictions in the listing. Stop changing the thermostat remotely on us.

Add in the cameras on the doors so they see and hear you when you arrive and leave.

No thanks.

What you gain in extra space and no hotel guests on the floor above you stomping around all night, you pay for with nanny-state tech, creepy policies, and very questionable hygiene/cleanliness standards.

Nah. I’m with Ray. Get a travel trailer, or learn to love hotels again.
    The thermostat was Nest connected but on top of that it had one of those plexiglass shields over it so we couldn't physically touch it. Initially it was set at 75, and the house couldn't hang with the Florida heat and the first day we were there it ran continuously and the house got up to 78. We lobbied for them to knock it down to 73 at night so the house would at least have a longer thermal journey before becoming uncomfortable. Just like you said, the owner said it was because the compressor would freeze up. They compromised by setting at 74 the whole time, but although the compressor didn't freeze, massive condensation formed on the metal vents inside the house which dripped fat water drops onto the floor. Also, the fact that the tenant couldn't control the temp was not listed in the advertisement.

To their credit, they spent the $100 to have a HVAC guy come out and confirm the machinery was functioning properly and it was. It was just poor insulation in the attic, on the ducts, or both that was causing the problem.

Owner also said he didn't have any control over the lights and had no idea what was going on with that. Because the house was on Nest with the thermostat and the outside cameras/motion lights and the switches were Leviton, I was inclined to believe him. If he was looking at the Nest app and didn't realize the switches were on a competitor's system he might miss it. There was zero consistency in the times the lights would randomly come on and go off, so I suspect either they are super sensitive to power fluctuations and would reverse whatever they were on when one happened or someone was actually screwing with us using their phone.

Never did figure out what was making the sounds like someone walking in the hallway, but it only happened the first three nights we were there and we didn't hear it again. Maybe the ghosts figured we were ok.

ABlaster

Master
    I would rather truck camp or even tent camp before doing another such stay.
    I will say it was damn hot and super windy. Tent camping would have been a no-go. We were at Cape Canaveral and they scrubbed several launches because of high winds.

5lima30ret

Master
    If people ever sprayed some luminol w/ an alternate light source in a hotel or VRBO etc. they would never stay there! Upscale hotels are sometimes the worst! One of the worst homicide scenes I worked was in an "upscale" Hilton! Just my .02 worth!

ABlaster

Master
    Done sir done!
    I couldn't have packed my bags fast enough
    Yeah, I never did figure out what that was. The last time it happened I was actually sitting on the couch sideways reading. I couldn't see down the hall but if I sat up I could. It was late again (maybe 1 a.m. or so) and I heard footsteps coming down the hall. Thinking it was my wife or son wondering what I was doing up so late, I sat up and looked and no one was in the hall and the sound stopped immediately. Didn't happen again after that.

ABlaster

Master
    Ya should of had some fun setting up game cams and recorders. Then it would've stopped.
    I already had my bug detector and box of travel door/window alarms! My cautious approach only goes so far, but I admit I wish I had thrown my game camera in my bag. I actually thought about buying a new one while there but didn’t.

FLT

Master
    Those strange noises were most likely from the refrigerator, we recently bought a new one for the house in Vero . It makes some god awful noises and seems to get louder at night . I called Frigidaire and they sent out a repairman , he checked it out found nothing wrong, and said they get a good amount of complaints about the noise they make . It’s not consistent and it wakes me up regularly in the night. It aggravates me to the point that I considering trying another brand of refrigerator. as far as staying in an Airbnb I tried it couple of times , and feel about the same as you do , I just can’t relax in that situation. After a couple of nights with little to no sleep, I don’t even like myself, much less anyone else.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    I guess you don’t travel with dogs?
    They seem to key in on weird stuff way before humans do.

If you heard footsteps AND your dog was acting weird? Nope. No thank you. I’m out.

1719718559982.gif

Top Bottom